Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #16
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Brecklundin:

FRY's would have to mark it up in price. We are going to sell the Pocket PRO only from our website so there is no markup.
According to you. If they are not available for sale at Fry's then we will never know for a fact, now will we?

Sorry, your credibility in that area is always going to be suspect to anyone who understands what your job really is...and that is to spin commentary about Astak products in an attempt to "positively impact revenue" and "the brand".

Nothing you can write will ever change that fact. Simply stating that they will not be available through any retail outlet is the only thing that you could write which I would believe at this microsecond in time. You have no idea what a retailer would do once they buy product. In fact we could assume from your previous comments over Fry's sale pricing, which indicated incredulity over Fry's sale pricing on the EZReader, is that Astak is refusing to sell to Fry and, instead, keeping the middleman revenue for themselves. A reasonable position, but at the risk of losing sales because people cannot put their hands on the device and see it for themselves. Obviously a roll of the corporate dice. Good luck with that...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #17
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Simply stating that they will not be available through any retail outlet is the only thing that you could write which I would believe at this microsecond in time. You have no idea what a retailer would do once they buy product. In fact we could assume from your previous comments over Fry's sale pricing, which indicated incredulity over Fry's sale pricing on the EZReader, is that Astak is refusing to sell to Fry and, instead, keeping the middleman revenue for themselves. A reasonable position, but at the risk of losing sales because people cannot put their hands on the device and see it for themselves. Obviously a roll of the corporate dice. Good (EDITED BY XIAOPANDA)
I kinda agree, but it's a little harsh ( I know I have no background on these posters and there is an obvious history)...
What I can say for almost certain is that a 5 inch Hanlin (jinke) ebook reader is in fact available to retailers through 3rd party wholesalers, who are taking advanced orders for distribution (and who will add a company logo / rebrand for nada). This model is not yet available, but it IS coming, fast. Samples are already out there for an absolutly rediculous price....

I don't know FRYs, so I can't comment there, I can only assume that the profit margin is too low or the Mininmum order quantity is too high to make it viable at this time. Also, they may be after the Astak brand, which could be prone to the same issuse as listed above.

Either way, I think it would be a missed opportunity for a company not to stock (at least a small quantiy) of the smaller reader..... But that opinion and pocket change will by you a local phone call
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #18
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Xiaopanda,

Don't mistake being direct with being harsh, this is the real world and sugar coating it and marketing doublespeak don't mean a whit to me. I am not here to suck up to anyone, rather to keep an eye on what is out there and what is coming. The only reason my comment should offend Astak would be if I am right.

I think you missed that it is not that Fry's is refusing to carry the new device, it is that new 5" Astak branded readers will not be sold to Fry's. At various times RobertB has expressed what can only be considered displeasure with Fry's sale pricing of the EZReader at US$239 while at the same time he was telling everyone that no way could a device be made and sold at under US$200. Yet at that same instant in time a national retailer, fry;s, was selling the EZReader for ~US$60 less than the best price around which was almost at the point Astak was claiming to be impossible for anything but a bottom of the barrel device.

Fry's sells out of online inventory in a matter of days at that price. A price which represents a threat to Astak's obvious plans to direct sell for the most part. That is what keeps prices of a device high, when the brand is sold by the "makers".

You make a good point that this is a Jinke device only with a different name silk screened on the front. So, that should me it will be had from other sources. However those sources may not truly embrace real competition and be happy with backroom minimum pricing agreements. As in, if you undercut us on price we will choke off your supply of devices. There was a recent Maryland bit of legislation which puts a stop to that for any company who even sells online to people who live within Maryland. That in itself will be quite intesting over the rest of the year and next. But that is a bit OT here.

Let's just say there has been a fair number of gaff's and marketing hyperbole from Astak US...thus causing some to question the truthfulness. Remember when just enough fact is included to put people at ease, that is when they try and slip the REAL gotcha's by you.

Last edited by brecklundin; 06-03-2009 at 08:42 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #19
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Cannot win with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Xiaopanda,

Don't mistake being direct with being harsh, this is the real world and sugar coating it and marketing doublespeak don't mean a whit to me. I am not here to suck up to anyone, rather to keep an eye on what is out there and what is coming. The only reason my comment should offend Astak would be if I am right.

I think you missed that it is not that Fry's is refusing to carry the new device, it is that new 5" Astak branded readers will not be sold to Fry's. At various times RobertB has expressed what can only be considered displeasure with Fry's sale pricing of the EZReader at US$239 while at the same time he was telling everyone that no way could a device be made and sold at under US$200. Yet at that same instant in time a national retailer, fry;s, was selling the EZReader for ~US$60 less than the best price around which was almost at the point Astak was claiming to be impossible for anything but a bottom of the barrel device.

Fry's sells out of online inventory in a matter of days at that price. A price which represents a threat to Astak's obvious plans to direct sell for the most part. That is what keeps prices of a device high, when the brand is sold by the "makers".

You make a good point that this is a Jinke device only with a different name silk screened on the front. So, that should me it will be had from other sources. However those sources may not truly embrace real competition and be happy with backroom minimum pricing agreements. As in, if you undercut us on price we will choke off your supply of devices. There was a recent Maryland bit of legislation which puts a stop to that for any company who even sells online to people who live within Maryland. That in itself will be quite intesting over the rest of the year and next. But that is a bit OT here.

Let's just say there has been a fair number of gaff's and marketing hyperbole from Astak US...thus causing some to question the truthfulness. Remember when just enough fact is included to put people at ease, that is when they try and slip the REAL gotcha's by you.
Dear Brecklundin:

You would find bad in good anytime and anywhere.

I try hard on here to tell what I feel... and a lot of it has absolutely nothing to do with sales.

You constantly seem to not note key information that qualifies a statement. When I said you cannot expect an eBook Reader to sell for under $200 I was talking about six inch.

We make a decision to offer the Pocket PRO at $199 but know from experience that cutting out the retailer will help that. YOU look at it as Astak is just worried about making more money for itself. YET... you also note that BeBook is also selling around $200 for the same unit which they call the mini.

For your info, the device costs us, from the factory, $180. Now how in hell do I sell that to FRY's and they sell it to you at less than $200. I do not mind your tirades towards me... but YOU are absolutely a pompous wind that blows no good as you misconstrue the facts to suit your needs and inane arguments IFyou knew what you were talking about, were rational, that would be refreshing. Instead you hop from thread to thread wildly accusing people of lying when you are the one who is constantly wrong on almost every point but cover it over by heaping misconstrued information and erroneous facts.

Last edited by Robertb; 06-03-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:04 AM   #20
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
It is fugly IMO, but at that price.. Can't beat it.

I might definately end up with one of those..
You obviously have never seen the Kindle.

I cannot for the life of me see how this device is "ugly" in any way. But to each his own... and all the more reason to get a standardized e-book format so we can pick whatever Reader we like and read our books on it.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 12:50 AM   #21
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
You obviously have never seen the Kindle.

I cannot for the life of me see how this device is "ugly" in any way. But to each his own... and all the more reason to get a standardized e-book format so we can pick whatever Reader we like and read our books on it.

-Pie
Right on Pie, I want to second that. This EZReader Pocket Pro seems to be the only sub-$200 eInk device available in the US and they are setting it up with secure ePub and eReader, both are open, secure formats. ePub tends to have the newest books and a host of classics while eReader has an inventory of back listed titles of good books that were published a few years ago and may never make it into ePub. I'd be happy to see something like the Pocketbook 380 set up with the same format support and sold in the US, but we must take what we can find. This offering is a step forward.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:41 AM   #22
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Meh, Ok, I asked for that response, I can handle it....almost, well, Ok, I can! i know I can!

I think there are valid points all 'round, and I think plain Text loses a lot in translation.

So, tirades aside, there are always options for an astute consumer..... Just have to hold out for what you want at a price that is reasonable, and ask around a lot..

It's both liberating and limiting being outside the US, though if I could get a Branded Kindle 2 or DX without EVDO / wireless (and ditch the keyboard) I probably would... as long as it was way under the $350 / $450 USD price range.

I'n happy to use USB to download my books....(I know, I know, I am being humourous...don't attack me please.. )

Last edited by Xiaopanda; 06-04-2009 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Roten spelling!
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:22 AM   #23
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
This EZReader Pocket Pro seems to be the only sub-$200 eInk device available in the US and they are setting it up with secure ePub and eReader
Note that mobile Adobe Digital Editions also supports Secure Adobe PDF (often now called Adobe Digital Editions) ebooks. Like all PDFs, these only get reflowed on a page by page basis and can have other problems, but this does open up the lending library selection and the older ebook selection. For new ebooks, ePub is often available and it is rare to have a new ebook with neither ePub nor eReader versions.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:24 PM   #24
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Note that mobile Adobe Digital Editions also supports Secure Adobe PDF (often now called Adobe Digital Editions) ebooks. Like all PDFs, these only get reflowed on a page by page basis and can have other problems, but this does open up the lending library selection and the older ebook selection. For new ebooks, ePub is often available and it is rare to have a new ebook with neither ePub nor eReader versions.
It looks like Astak is only one eBook reader that will support DRMed eReader format. Somebody mentioned that Adobe charge $75K for Adobe DRM support. It is interesting what is the cost for eReader DRM.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:06 PM   #25
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

$75K per model!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
It looks like Astak is only one eBook reader that will support DRMed eReader format. Somebody mentioned that Adobe charge $75K for Adobe DRM support. It is interesting what is the cost for eReader DRM.
Dear Kris777:

Just so everybody understands the Adobe Digital Editions costs the manufacturer $75,000 per MODEL. If Netronics, for example, releases 5 models in 2009... that is $375,000. Plus there is a security and maintenance fee you pay whether or not you use it. It is not cheap.

We were fortunate and got grandfathered in on Fictionwise eReader so I do not know the cost. Sorry.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #26
Robertb

A lot of people like USB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaopanda View Post
Meh, Ok, I asked for that response, I can handle it....almost, well, Ok, I can! i know I can!

I think there are valid points all 'round, and I think plain Text loses a lot in translation.

So, tirades aside, there are always options for an astute consumer..... Just have to hold out for what you want at a price that is reasonable, and ask around a lot..

It's both liberating and limiting being outside the US, though if I could get a Branded Kindle 2 or DX without EVDO / wireless (and ditch the keyboard) I probably would... as long as it was way under the $350 / $450 USD price range.

I'n happy to use USB to download my books....(I know, I know, I am being humourous...don't attack me please.. )
Dear Xioapanda:

Actually, a lot of people are just fine with USB downloading. Brecklundin may disagree, but our studies show about 60% of the market actually prefers USB over wireless. They use their computer to buy cloths, event tickets, DVR, CD, and hundreds of other things... so why should eBooks be so different?

I am NOT putting down the wireless-loving crowd. To each their own. Astak will offer wireless models as well. Just, please, do not think wireless is a natural progression. There is a cost involved with 3G wireless; and it can be used almost as a weapon (like Amazon does to limit your eBook buying to Amazon).

Astak is proudly Open Format... buy eBooks from hundreds of websites and find the best price. Also, get materials that maybe Amazon does not offer by doing USB downloads. Amazon builds a very nice device and offers a fine package... but I like the Astak model.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:26 PM   #27
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
I agree with Robertb - I am very happy with USB downloading, and would prefer it to wireless if I had a choice. Too much "big brother" for my taste.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #28
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
USB Downloading

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
I agree with Robertb - I am very happy with USB downloading, and would prefer it to wireless if I had a choice. Too much "big brother" for my taste.
I also prefer USB downloading to wireless. I cannot foresee ever being without anything new to read on my EZ-reader (I have at least 30 - 50 books on my to read list on my EZ-reader.

I also want full control over my books, and what folders I put them in. I back my books up myself and I only buy Fictionwise Ereader format - so I know they will work in ANY device that supports their reader.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #29
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Kris777:

Just so everybody understands the Adobe Digital Editions costs the manufacturer $75,000 per MODEL. If Netronics, for example, releases 5 models in 2009... that is $375,000. Plus there is a security and maintenance fee you pay whether or not you use it. It is not cheap.

We were fortunate and got grandfathered in on Fictionwise eReader so I do not know the cost. Sorry.
It looks like ereader software available for free on ereader.com website:
http://www.ereader.com/ereader/software/browse.htm
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #30
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
I also agree. Less likelyhood of "Big Brother" minding your business and updating your firmware to something that you don't want. With USB DLing, you are more in control of what gets put on your reader.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote