Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2009, 04:01 PM   #16
alrumich
Enthusiast
alrumich doesn't litteralrumich doesn't litter

Device: PRS-700, iPod Touch, Samsung Q1U, HP Pavilion tx2500
The same can be done in Acrobat Pro, so there is not need in Mac. ABBYY Finereader also does that, and it is much faster for this. As to 505, I have already ordered prs700, so, I will check it when it arrives
alrumich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #17
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Sorry, but I just managed to come back to today.

You can crop the white margins in Acrobat with scanned images without a problem, you can not do it with the “remove white margins option”, you have to do it “by hand”.

My advice is:

1 - chose a page that you think it’s representative of the worst situation and crop that one by activating the top, bottom, etc cropping controls;

2 - as you are doing it you can see the cropping in the image and so know when to stop.

3 - once you have made it to that page, change the range options in the down right part of the screen to all and click ok. You have now all the pages with the same margins cropped.

4 - now, go to the begin of the file and browse the pages and check if there is one where you had “cut” too much. If so, in that page, go to the crop window (Document, Crop Pages) and change the crop sttings as you have done in (1), just for that page, go on until you have checked all pages.

The first times it can be a bit awkward but with the experience you get the “touch” easily.

I’m uploading your file cropped as I explain, so you can tested it with the reader - on a shop or the one you are going to receive.
And also posting page 2 of the file as it looks in the 505, landscape mode - top and bottom parts.

Best regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Top.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	28654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	28655  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cooperson_1997.pdf (785.0 KB, 965 views)

Last edited by DDHarriman; 05-08-2009 at 05:46 PM.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2009, 01:35 AM   #18
alrumich
Enthusiast
alrumich doesn't litteralrumich doesn't litter

Device: PRS-700, iPod Touch, Samsung Q1U, HP Pavilion tx2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hi

Sorry, but I just managed to come back to today.

You can crop the white margins in Acrobat with scanned images without a problem, you can not do it with the “remove white margins option”, you have to do it “by hand”.

My advice is:

1 - chose a page that you think it’s representative of the worst situation and crop that one by activating the top, bottom, etc cropping controls;

2 - as you are doing it you can see the cropping in the image and so know when to stop.

3 - once you have made it to that page, change the range options in the down right part of the screen to all and click ok. You have now all the pages with the same margins cropped.

4 - now, go to the begin of the file and browse the pages and check if there is one where you had “cut” too much. If so, in that page, go to the crop window (Document, Crop Pages) and change the crop sttings as you have done in (1), just for that page, go on until you have checked all pages.

The first times it can be a bit awkward but with the experience you get the “touch” easily.

I’m uploading your file cropped as I explain, so you can tested it with the reader - on a shop or the one you are going to receive.
And also posting page 2 of the file as it looks in the 505, landscape mode - top and bottom parts.

Best regards,
Apologies for not responding sooner! Thanks for a detailed account on trimming. I am using Finereader for this purpose and it seems to work faster - you can select the area for cropping with a mouse (make it larger, smaller, move around); the program remembers the position of the crop area, so if the next page is in the same spot, you do not need to move it. So far I tried a huge number of ways, and this old one seems to be the fastest. (there is also ImageConverter Plus, which can automatically cut off white margins, but, if there are any speckles, it stops right on it; so the pages are often of different width

Best,
Maxim
alrumich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #19
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Yes I know about Finereader - who it's an outstanding OCR program, and the unique that makes good reflowable 505 PDF’s for me, au contraire to Omnipage per example.

As you said you could not do it with Acrobat and image PDF’s I was just explaining it can be done.
I like better Acrobat to do the cropping but I do know that Finereader is quite good too and fast as you state.
I think it has to do of what personal preference.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:44 AM   #20
chupvl
chupvl began at the beginning.

Device: none
The free and open source alternative for OCR are

Tesseract OCR - http://sourceforge.net/projects/tesseract-ocr/

ocropus - http://code.google.com/p/ocropus/

Clara OCR - http://freshmeat.net/projects/claraocr/

Fill free to OCR the PDF of convert PDF to banch of images than OCR
chupvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 09:12 AM   #21
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by chupvl View Post
The free and open source alternative for OCR are

Tesseract OCR - http://sourceforge.net/projects/tesseract-ocr/

ocropus - http://code.google.com/p/ocropus/

Clara OCR - http://freshmeat.net/projects/claraocr/

Fill free to OCR the PDF of convert PDF to banch of images than OCR
Good programs thanks
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote