Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #16
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Personally I saw nothing wrong with the look of the page...
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:28 AM   #17
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Very few paperback novels have a TOC, but there's no reason not to add one to an eBook, even if it is just "Chapter 1", "Chapter 2", etc. Especially useful for the "classics", where one might want to look up a particular chapter reference.
Children of Dune would have around 64 "chapters"... Personally, I don't like TOC's that span several pages...

(I also checked the other 5 books, they would have around 50 "chapters").

In the Dune novels you can make some sort of chapters as you have those short quotes (assuming each quote would start a "chapter"). But I also have a book that doesn't even have that... It's a completely chapterless book. The only way the book is divided is by using empty lines between sections. How would you "chapterize" such a book?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 02:36 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You probably wouldn't. Books without chapters are not terribly uncommon. "Robinson Crusoe" doesn't have chapters, for example - it's just one long flow of unbroken text - although some modern editions do break it into chapters.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:14 AM   #19
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
It's a completely chapterless book. The only way the book is divided is by using empty lines between sections. How would you "chapterize" such a book?
Most Terry Pratchett books don't have chapters. You could I suppose use the paragrah seperators to denote a chapter (* * * - dunno what they are actually called!) if you really wanted to. Personally I never use a TOC unless it is a book of short stories!
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:08 AM   #20
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Yeah, what are those called? And I always use * * * * *.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 07:46 AM   #21
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I find chapters very useful in books that include multiple story lines from different protagonists, because if I am rereading and don't want to follow all the story lines I can skip to the next chapter (if there is one chapter per story line). This works well using FBReader because it has a skip to next section (next TOC entry) key. Waymarks on the Kindle 2 probably work similarly. On the desktop an always displayed TOC could provide a similar capability provided it keeps track of where you are in the book.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't know what its official name is - or even if it has one - but I always refer to it as a "scene change", which is what it conventionally designates.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote