Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #16
PK1
PK1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Are they listening? These are great suggestions. And how about a USB reading light?
PK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:40 PM   #17
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I own the K1, and I've decided to pass on the K2. The minor improvements, plus some steps backwards, made me decide to hold off on upgrading. Now if the above rumors are true, and if the next Kindle can display a readable 8.5x11 page, then I will definately be upgrading (especially if it supports ePub and native PDF files). Oh yeah, I want folders, a replaceable SD card, and replaceable battery too, and then it'd be perfect. [Just in case anyone from Amazon is reading.]
Yup ... that's the only thing that would get me to "upgrade." With all the things they took away from the K1, the K2 just seems like a downgrade to me.

I want (and expect ... dammit) exactly the same things you do.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 11:01 PM   #18
hanasea
Enthusiast
hanasea began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPod Touch
Folders!

I'd like to get folders and SD card slot(micro sd card would be fine too), removable battery

Letter size and touch screen- I'll run to that too.
hanasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #19
suzannah346
Suzanne
suzannah346 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thank you for letting us out there know there is a Kindle 3 possibly on the way. It is such a high cost to buy Kindle. Getting the better version is worth waiting for!
suzannah346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #20
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannah346 View Post
Thank you for letting us out there know there is a Kindle 3 possibly on the way. It is such a high cost to buy Kindle. Getting the better version is worth waiting for!
There is actually a rumor of a Kindle 3 out there. It may just be wishful thinking.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #21
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
If amazon could release a wireless N device with color touch capable screen at the current kindle size it would suddenly be attracting people looking for a netbook (a small device for checking emails, browsing the web) as well as ebook readers. Suddenly the market for the kindle is about 50 times bigger.

I have a feeling that such a screen uses a lot of power though, and that is holding back it's development, maintaining small form factor and having enough battery life.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:35 AM   #22
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
This is completely off-topic however the Kindle girl in the photo is fascinating.
Any other photos?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #23
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
A kindle that was big enough to read pdfs (and *could* read pdfs natively) would open up a whole new market--anybody who has to read a lot of journal articles. Grad students working on their dissertations. Post-docs writing papers. I had an entire file box full of printed pdfs of journal articles the last time I wrote a paper--it must have weighed 20 pounds and I had to leave it at work because it was too heavy to carry around with me. The thought of a Kindle I could have put them all on (swoons)...
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #24
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
A kindle that was big enough to read pdfs (and *could* read pdfs natively) would open up a whole new market--anybody who has to read a lot of journal articles. Grad students working on their dissertations. Post-docs writing papers. I had an entire file box full of printed pdfs of journal articles the last time I wrote a paper--it must have weighed 20 pounds and I had to leave it at work because it was too heavy to carry around with me. The thought of a Kindle I could have put them all on (swoons)...
See, this is what I thought they should be concentrating on instead of what they came out with. There is such an obvious need for it.

But, no one asked ME!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #25
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I guess a year is a long time in technology. They are probably aiming for the christmas season?
I just bought a Kindle 2, I'm loving it so much that if Amazon release Kindle 3, I'm buying it and the K2 goes to a family member.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #26
WyomingDiva
WyomingDiva began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
This annoys me. I just bought K2 after deciding to wait for the new version (hoping any bugs and issues from K1) are gone. And the new one will come out this year???? Rawr...
WyomingDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #27
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyomingDiva View Post
This annoys me. I just bought K2 after deciding to wait for the new version (hoping any bugs and issues from K1) are gone. And the new one will come out this year???? Rawr...
It will likely be a lot more expensive as well as larger and less portable so I don't think it would really be interchangeable for most people. I would likely get one for work but I'll still be glad I have my little Kindle. If I had to limit myself to just one, it would be the 6" version.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:31 PM   #28
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
I'm finishing up my Ph D and will be an assistant professor next year so I was somewhat interested in such a reader.

But after more thought, I'm not so interested as I end up highlighting a ton of stuff and writing notes all over PDFs I print out. Couldn't do that with a large A4 reader--maybe if it was something more like a tablet PC.

So for now I'll just keep printing them out and keeping the PDFs on my jump drive etc. so I can pull them up if I need to look at them outside of the office--which I don't do all that often anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
It will likely be a lot more expensive as well as larger and less portable so I don't think it would really be interchangeable for most people. I would likely get one for work but I'll still be glad I have my little Kindle. If I had to limit myself to just one, it would be the 6" version.
Same here, I mainly wanted an eBook for reading novels etc., so the portability is key.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 03-06-2009 at 01:03 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:58 PM   #29
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I'm a gadget addict so I will eventually get K2 and give my current K1 to my mom. I'm holding back till the late summer but if I hear something other than rumors of a K3 happening for X-mas 2009 I may just wait longer and bypass the K2 and go directly to K3.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I own the K1, and I've decided to pass on the K2. The minor improvements, plus some steps backwards, made me decide to hold off on upgrading. Now if the above rumors are true, and if the next Kindle can display a readable 8.5x11 page, then I will definitely be upgrading (especially if it supports ePub and native PDF files). Oh yeah, I want folders, a replaceable SD card, and replaceable battery too, and then it'd be perfect. [Just in case anyone from Amazon is reading.]
Dream on. Do you really think Amazon is going to support Adobe's DRM or even without DRM. That would be Amazon giving up some of the control they now have. And this won't happen. That's why AZW was invented because using regular DRM Mobipocket is giving up some control. And folders? Why would Amazon want to give you that?

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-06-2009 at 01:03 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote