Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #16
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are buying a K2 because it has a better screen then the 505, then you are incorrect. The K2 and he 505 use exactly the same screen. The only difference is that the K2 has 16 shades and the 505 has 8. But, the 505 has very good dithering routines so you probably would never know the difference.
As I understand it the K2 not only has more gray scales, but also the faster controller which I consider to be part of the "screen" from the POV of user experience. I'm willing to admit that good dithering could eliminate most or all the difference between 8 and 16 gray scales, but it won't speed up the page turns.

My expectation for K2 is that it will have essentially equal (possibly a bit better) clarity than the 505 and the speed of the 700, which appeared noticeably faster than the 505 to my eyes. That combination is enough to give me a better reading experience than either of the Sony devices.

More than anything else I won't buy anything with an inferior screen to the 505 for more money.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #17
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
The K2 is definitely faster than the K1 at page turns and refreshes. On the original K1 I could easily type faster than the screen refresh. On the K2 I have to really try hard to type faster than the screen refresh.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #18
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
$370 for faster page turns...Amazon loves you
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #19
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Also the illustrations are significantly better. In a couple of technical books the illustrations on the K1 were all but unreadable even when magnified but the same on the K2 are far better. I haven't been able to take a decent photo to show the improvement.

Also book covers take up almost all of the screen.

Last edited by TallMomof2; 02-24-2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Forgot a little info.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:19 PM   #20
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I haven't been able to take a decent photo to show the improvement.
I like the K1's ALT-SHIFT-G screenshots, but even an inexpensive HP all-in-one printer makes good scans of EInk devices. See for example, 20090222 snapshot. This does not help if you don't have a scanner, but a scanner can be much more consistent than a camera.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 10:26 PM   #21
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I like the K1's ALT-SHIFT-G screenshots, but even an inexpensive HP all-in-one printer makes good scans of EInk devices. See for example, 20090222 snapshot. This does not help if you don't have a scanner, but a scanner can be much more consistent than a camera.
Alt+shift+G works on the K2 too...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-34885.gif
Views:	198
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	24341  
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:34 PM   #22
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The larger cover page with 16 grey levels is a big improvement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1_cover.gif
Views:	182
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	24344  
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote