Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #16
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnullify View Post
What can the 505 do that the kindle can't?
The 505 reads ePUB - the new standard for ebooks.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #17
dnullify
dnullify began at the beginning.

Device: none- hopefully 505
what is the benefit of using that format? or any format? i mean, aside from pdf, which i understand to be limiting as far as font is concerned.

Also, after watching a few reviews on youtube, the sony still prevails as the cheap-light-small option. (bebook also catches the eye, though price is high and i can't find one used...) is the page-turning speed really slow compared to the kindle v1? when it comes down to it, i really think it to be more convenient to use the sony over kindle, just for format reasons alone.

also, is the prs-500 and the 505 drastically different? is the page turning faster on either? or the same? i have noticed many prs-500's for sale used, and it is probably the easiest to find.

Last edited by dnullify; 02-09-2009 at 07:23 PM.
dnullify is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #18
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
The page turning is roughly equivalent on all of them: you get used to it very quickly when reading, but it's annoying to have to flip multiple pages at a time, or navigate through layers of bookmarks.

The Sony reads epub (which is growing in popularity, and someone else can tackle the "what's so good about it" part), and has the advantage that you don't have to email files in to be converted--you throw them on the drive, and they're readable. This means it's relatively easy to tweak formatting settings, convert with Calibre, and try again, when learning to create ebooks. Between Calibre and BookDesigner, the format of the source file is more a matter of convenience than necessity. (There are some exceptions, but it doesn't sound like you're expecting those to be of major importance.)

Kindle has search and dictionary functions; the Sony does not. The new Kindles seem to be limited in size (2gb is substantial, but not enough for an extensive ebook library); Sony has two memory card slots of different types. Kindle allows annotations; Sony only has bookmarks, and I don't think they're exportable.

I've been told Kindle's PDF support is poor; I have no idea if it's worse than the Sony's. (I don't mind the PDF support... but I'm perfectly willing to read a letter-sized page on a six-inch screen.) The Sony at least allows me to look at the PDF on a computer screen if one's available.

For me, the combination of "throw files on it at will" and "don't have to email my reading material to Amazon" make the Sony a clear winner. For other people, the wifi and search functions are crucial, and for them, the Sony is nearly useless.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #19
julia103
Connoisseur
julia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnullify View Post
also, is the prs-500 and the 505 drastically different? is the page turning faster on either? or the same? i have noticed many prs-500's for sale used, and it is probably the easiest to find.
I upgraded from a 500 to a 505 last month.

The 500 does not read epub. Also pdfs do not reflow on the 500. If you know that the books that you want to read are available as lrf files or you are comfortable using a conversion program, then this won't be important. But if, for example, you wanted to download stories from Tor.com which only provides pdf, mobi, html and epub, and you don't know how to convert them then the 505 would be better. The page turns are a bit faster on the 505, but they didn't bother me on the 500. The screen contrast is better on the 505 but it wasn't bad on the 500.
julia103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:18 AM   #20
dnullify
dnullify began at the beginning.

Device: none- hopefully 505
well, i found a kindle for $200... assuming i can find a prs-505 for the same price, the general consensus is to go for the kindle?

assuming pdf files aren't an issue (as far as i understand- kindle is useless for pdfs- as are most of the readers).
dnullify is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert