Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #16
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Photos are are my reason for big drives. Books and music make tiny little files. I go through a TB about every 4 to 5 months I think. A single afternoon shooting can use 10 Gigs and those are compressed raw files. My largest photo so far is a stitched 700 MB monster. I believe 1.5 TB drives are out than goodness.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #17
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
T = Terabyte = a thousand GB = a million MB.

I suspect your "4GB" is the amount of RAM, not the size of the hard disk . We're talking about disk sizes here.
Right. Thanks.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #18
acprinter
Groupie
acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 11th generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
Photos are are my reason for big drives. Books and music make tiny little files. I go through a TB about every 4 to 5 months I think. A single afternoon shooting can use 10 Gigs and those are compressed raw files. My largest photo so far is a stitched 700 MB monster. I believe 1.5 TB drives are out than goodness.
I suspect that you photograph with a large format camera. So you shoot digitaly or use film then scan? I shoot with a 4x5 and still use film, although I have plans to buy photoshop cs4 and and the epson r2880 printer. At this point I still will use film then scan my negatives. Any body have tips for scanning 4x5 and 5x7 film?
acprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #19
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I am into digital Video. so Im full all over.

its
4x 300 GB Drives
1x 320 GB Drive
1x 1 TB Drive

1 of the 300 gb drives is networked. I was Getting IRQ errors with it in my computer for some reason though not so with the 1 TB drive. I think this had to do with my power souce failing, which has since been replaced.

and the 320 is in an external enclosure.

Programs, Including full Linux distros, take up maybe 50 gigs
Music, 45 Gigs
Movies 150 Gigs
TV shows, Over 1 TB
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #20
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by acprinter View Post
I suspect that you photograph with a large format camera. So you shoot digitaly or use film then scan? I shoot with a 4x5 and still use film, although I have plans to buy photoshop cs4 and and the epson r2880 printer. At this point I still will use film then scan my negatives. Any body have tips for scanning 4x5 and 5x7 film?
Good guess. I shoot digitally. Glad to hear people are still shooting large format. Stimulates the economy all those drives we end up buying.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #21
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
A pair of 1TB RAID drives for the music collection (all CDs ripped and all Lp albums transcribed and edited), a pair of 500 MB RAID drives for the old radio shows and pictures (scans and original digital.)

All DVDs are still on their original media. I find it hard to watch most movies and TV shows a second time.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #22
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
A pair of 1TB RAID drives for the music collection (all CDs ripped and all Lp albums transcribed and edited), a pair of 500 MB RAID drives for the old radio shows and pictures (scans and original digital.)

All DVDs are still on their original media. I find it hard to watch most movies and TV shows a second time.
For Movies I find that True. I might rewatch it in a few years if ever.

as for TV shows. I Rewatch and Rewatch them all the time. I also use them as background noise while working on the computer of even while reading.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #23
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
All this talk just made me realize it's time for a new drive. Just ordered a 2TB external drive in promotion (for the price of two 500GB drives).
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #24
JaneFancher
Zealot
JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
All this talk just made me realize it's time for a new drive. Just ordered a 2TB external drive in promotion (for the price of two 500GB drives).
Oi! I'm so jealous. Where'd you get it? I'm drowning in data DVDs. My killers are video, photos and artwork scans.
JaneFancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #25
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Damn, I can't even fill up my 1GB flash drive!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:30 AM   #26
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Damn, I can't even fill up my 1GB flash drive!
Actually I'm in the same situation when using Flash drives, as most of my files are either too big for even a 8GB flash (Fat's 4gb file size Limit is a pain) or very small.

So I have nearly empty 2Gb, 4GB and 8Gb drives which are rarely used, but am always running out of space on my TB Hard drives
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:02 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How does one actually get video onto a PC? Please excuse my ignorance, but it's something I know nothing about.

If I record a TV programme onto a DVD-R, how would I then get it in a "watchable" format onto my PC?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:34 AM   #28
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneFancher View Post
Oi! I'm so jealous. Where'd you get it? I'm drowning in data DVDs. My killers are video, photos and artwork scans.
I got it in an online store, pixmania.pt. BUt since you're from USA, you'll have to search somewhere else. But I'm sure that with some digging, you'll find a good deal.

Quote:
How does one actually get video onto a PC? Please excuse my ignorance, but it's something I know nothing about.

If I record a TV programme onto a DVD-R, how would I then get it in a "watchable" format onto my PC?

There are mountains of software to do that: rip de DVDs to AVI/MP4/MKV or any other format that you can watch on PC. You can also make a 1:1 copy to an ISO file and then, with proper and free software, "mount" it in a virtual drive and watch from there as if you has the disc in the DVD drive.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #29
Over
Wizard

BTW, for our USA friends:

1.5TB Seagate 7200.11 @ $106 when you use the code 90K7$QNXLZM4BZ upon checkout. Free Shipping from Dell.

http://tinyurl.com/apvdun

Deal won't last very long.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:22 AM   #30
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:

If you've recorded it your self on a DVD-R using a DVD recorder then its usually pretty simple.

DVD's as you know record video in MPEG2, so you need to convert the VOB files on the DVD to another format.

I'm partial to MP4 as this usually allows you to shrink a 2 hr dvd (4.4 GB) to around 600-1000MB.

One of the Easiest programs to use to do so for non Protected DVD's is Handbrake.

Just go to the Handbrake site, download the version for your system and install.

Once installed, its pretty simple to use with presets for all the various formats, such as general MP4, ipod, psp, etc. Just point it to the disk drive, and let it run.

it usually takes about an hour or so per DVD, but is very dependent on your system performance, so on a fast Desktop you should be bale to do it much faster.

For Protected DVD's i.e. most commercial DVD's I use DVD Shrink or DVD Fab Decrypter to remove the protection and then use Handbreak. Just Google for them, as while DVD shrink is available for free, DVD fab has an older version available for free.

DVD shrink is also nice as it allows you to streamline Movie DVD's removing extra stuff like trailers, extras, language you may not want and Shrink the whole thing down to a resonabe size, like a single layer DVD or even a CD.

Last edited by bbusybookworm; 02-08-2009 at 08:24 AM.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote