Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 11-21-2023, 03:44 PM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And you won't get any more fixes and updates.
But if what he has works? There are people still on last version for XP, last for win7 and last for 32 bits. Even the calibre on XP works well.

I do have 6.29 on main WS and 7.0 on laptop.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 04:32 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMama View Post
It caused eye-strain and headache after less than half an hour (I've had surgery for cataracts). Maybe after a while it won't bother as much, so I'll try again in a few months.

I just hoped we could adjust.
What you can do is take a font and adjust the metadata to increase the line height so it will give you want you want. That way you can even adjust for larger space between the lines.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2023, 04:45 PM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
What you can do is take a font and adjust the metadata to increase the line height so it will give you want you want. That way you can even adjust for larger space between the lines.
What are you talking about????

The issue is CODE VIEW is scrunched up.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 04:48 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What are you talking about????

The issue is CODE VIEW is scrunched up.
I'm saying that if you adjust the line height of the font being used, you may be able to increase the line height and then it won't be scrunched.

Just look at CareInk6/ChareInk6SP on a Kindle with a KF8 eBook. The line height is smaller because I edited the metadata in the font. It could work in reverse for calibre.
Old 11-21-2023, 07:19 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm saying that if you adjust the line height of the font being used, you may be able to increase the line height and then it won't be scrunched.

Just look at CareInk6/ChareInk6SP on a Kindle with a KF8 eBook. The line height is smaller because I edited the metadata in the font. It could work in reverse for calibre.
The average user is not going to edit fonts JUST to fix someone else's problem.. BTW I looked at Fontforge years back and quickly closed it before I sank (clearly over my head).
Advert
Old 11-21-2023, 08:36 PM   #21
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Looking at Qt forum (26th of May 2023), I found this comment related to line-height:

Quote:
The natural vertical spacing of text automatically wrapped or with deliberate line breaks is given by QFontMetrics::lineSpacing(). This figure is a function of font and size and is not adjustable out-of-the box.

You can subclass QLabel and provide your own rendering.
As this automatic line-height is, in a way, a clear loss of functionality for the user, I wondered if the Calibre editor could provide this mysterious (for me) "subclass".

Last edited by roger64; 11-21-2023 at 09:11 PM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 10:20 PM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This isnt QLabel we are talking about it's QPlainTextEdit. I am not going to re-implement the entirety of its rendering.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 11:37 PM   #23
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
of course, but this remark seemed inocuous.

In fact, it's more like: "If you don't like my taxi, you can go on foot".
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 05:48 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

In calibre's code view, what font is being used by default to display the code?
Old 11-22-2023, 05:53 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The average user is not going to edit fonts JUST to fix someone else's problem.. BTW I looked at Fontforge years back and quickly closed it before I sank (clearly over my head).
But as has been pointed out before, a lot of users on Mobileread are not average users.
Old 11-22-2023, 10:18 AM   #26
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
But as has been pointed out before, a lot of users on Mobileread are not average users.
and others are at both ends of the spectrum (I am being careful to not break the MR guidelines here)
Old 11-22-2023, 10:30 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
and others are at both ends of the spectrum (I am being careful to not break the MR guidelines here)
Once I know the font, I can edit it to adjust the metadata and see if that works to fix the OP's problem.
Old 11-22-2023, 12:45 PM   #28
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
I am out of ideas. (FWIW I use Consolas)
Turns out the default for code view is Consolas! Unfortunately, it didn't change the line spacing, but as Kovid said, that is Qt issue so...

Hopefully, it will sort itself out in a future update.
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 06:48 PM   #29
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
On my system, some fonts like Bold Italic Art and Deco 'something' give a huge line spacing in Editor, this might be a workaround although I had never changed from the default Consolas although I prefer the default Consolas

Last edited by Comfy.n; 11-24-2023 at 01:25 PM.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 07:09 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
On my system, some fonts like Bold Italic Art and Deco 'something' give a huge line spacing in Editor, this might be a workaround although I had never changed from the default Consolas
I'd be OK doing the work if someone tells me what font the editor is using.