Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-17-2023, 03:13 PM   #16
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Understood. If we leave the whole silly issue of dealing with dark mode to the user to handle *before* using print, and with full mathml support, I am pretty sure we can get down to one WebEngine Widget to keep the memory footprint low.

Removing all the dark mode cruft while allowing user css and mathml was the issue.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 03:15 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I see no horrible delays with the new feature on my underpowered, and aging Windows laptop. But then I refuse to work with epubs that have "large" xhtml files.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2023, 11:21 PM   #18
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Understood. If we leave the whole silly issue of dealing with dark mode to the user to handle *before* using print, and with full mathml support, I am pretty sure we can get down to one WebEngine Widget to keep the memory footprint low.

Removing all the dark mode cruft while allowing user css and mathml was the issue.
I think the user can deal with the "dark mode issue" before "printing". By the way, if I choose to print to file (PDF), the .pdf generated by Sigil is huge; that's not happens for the same content in PageEdit.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:03 AM   #19
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sigil uses a much higher print quality setting, not just screen dpi.

Last edited by KevinH; 03-18-2023 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:20 AM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Having to change out of dark mode just to print something might be a little counterintuitive to many users. But if it makes things work better, I'm not opposed. I never print ebooks (or convert them to pdf) anyway.
Advert
Old 03-18-2023, 09:50 AM   #21
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Having to change out of dark mode just to print something might be a little counterintuitive to many users. But if it makes things work better, I'm not opposed. I never print ebooks (or convert them to pdf) anyway.
As I said, I use dark mode and custom .css; so in PP I have white text on a dark background. But I only have to do a mouse click on the respective icon in PP to put black text on a white background. It seems that you (both Kevin and Diap) forgot that valuable feature also in PP
Old 03-18-2023, 09:53 AM   #22
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Sigil uses a much higher print quality setting, not just screen dpi.
Can the user to control the printing dpi usted By Sigil?
Old 03-18-2023, 10:17 AM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I think we're going to find that the QPrinter::HighResolution in the Preview dialog is the larger culprit of the overall performance hit, here (as opposed to dark mode diddling). On some only moderately long xhtml files (text and links only), my development machine will lock up waiting on the Print Preview dialog. Remove QPrinter::HighResolution and its display is almost instantaneous.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:47 AM   #24
KevinH
Sigil Developer

We can revert that for the next release if you want.
Old 03-18-2023, 11:34 AM   #25
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
We can revert that for the next release if you want.
Please, do that. It can't be a .pdf (only text) of just 5 pages with a size of 22MB! Can't be possible to set a medium quality of printing (300/600dpi)?

Last edited by RbnJrg; 03-18-2023 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-18-2023, 11:37 AM   #26
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I was actually asking DiapDealer that question.
Old 03-18-2023, 12:03 PM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Definitely seeing some historical evidence of different behavior of QPrinter::HighResolution on Unix compared to Windows/Mac. Perhaps an os-based ifdef is in order.

Also, I can crash Sigil on Arch (invalid pointer) by clicking the print button again while waiting on the print preview dialog from the first click. Interestingly enough, the same action will produce the same rare Gumbo assertion error you just fixed recently (with the 1.9.30 codebase). After the fix, there is only the invalid pointer when clicking the button twice.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-18-2023 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 12:32 PM   #28
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Yes, we will need an ifdef. On macOS I need the high dpi setting to get any type of quality pdf generated. I think since Qt on the mac uses pseudo pixels to prevent scaling issues, it produces a very poor 72 dpi instead of something reasonable.
Old 03-18-2023, 12:34 PM   #29
KevinH
Sigil Developer

And if we have to redesign webviewprinter a bit, we may want to have it clean up after itself (delete view widget (if we decide to keep using a second widget) once the printing has concluded. That will reduce the memory footprint instead of waiting until the next print to clear it.

Last edited by KevinH; 03-18-2023 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 12:43 PM   #30
KevinH
Sigil Developer

FWIW, I just tried double clicking fast on the Preview print button but only the first click registered and subsequent clicks were properly ignored on macOS. No issues.