Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-01-2022, 10:58 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by enuddleyarbl View Post
I ran across something like that a week or so ago. I think I'll set up a saved search to look for any style= tags (just in case I don't catch one of those if it happens again).
You may not want to dump inline styles just like that as you'll need to see what you'll need to sort out in the CSS before you dump them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 01:54 PM   #17
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
No. My understanding is that a file reference replaced by sixteen "X" characters in KF8 format means that it was removed during conversion, usually because it was unreferenced.
OK. I've got to wonder what's going on with the book, then. If I edit the Added AZW3 book in the Calibre editor, I get the same behavior. Ditto for using KindleUnpack > AZW3 > KF8 to ePub. But, if I go the Unpack AZW3 route, when I try to open the resulting epub, I get:
Quote:
calibre, version 6.6.1
ERROR: Failed to open book: Failed to open book, it has obfuscated fonts, but the obfuscation key is missing from the OPF. Do an EPUB to EPUB conversion before trying to edit this book
Doing the epub > epub conversion gives the same issue as my original attempts.

Looking at the stylesheets the fonts are on (it turns out there are another two unreferenced fonts on another stylesheet), they're only linked to on two files (the Also By page and the Next Read ad). But, no fonts, styles or classes from those stylesheets are used.

Odd that the publisher would include fonts in the stylesheets but not actually include them in the book. I suppose they just dump their standard stuff into the book and don't bother to winnow out the unused material.

Oh, well. I used Modify ePub to strip out the fonts and went from there. Thanks again.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2022, 05:19 PM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I rarely convert ePub > ePub. I just go in and fix the code by hand.
IMHO this is the safest way to avoid ANY OTHER changes.
Again, I agree with Jon (I think that is 2 times this year )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 05:23 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by enuddleyarbl View Post

Odd that the publisher would include fonts in the stylesheets but not actually include them in the book. I suppose they just dump their standard stuff into the book and don't bother to winnow out the unused material.

Oh, well. I used Modify ePub to strip out the fonts and went from there. Thanks again.
Publishers develop House style sheets, then they can't be bothered to clean up.
The argument is lame, if the want to use a style definition that was deleted. Doh! Just restore the original house sheet, make your changes, then clean again
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 05:25 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Load the KF8 into Calibre's Editor and see what fonts are being embedded. Chances are you won't need or want them. But if you do, you may be able to fix them by using KindleUnpack > ePub and load the ePub into Sigil and right click on the fonts to try to remove the obfuscation. Then you can either edit in Sigil or go back to the Calibre editor.
Advert
Old 10-01-2022, 05:26 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

You can sometimes get around 100 (or so) unused styles. It's crazy.
Old 10-14-2022, 09:31 PM   #22
bookman156
Addict
bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
You can sometimes get around 100 (or so) unused styles. It's crazy.
The trouble is you forget what styles you're using, so they probably leave them all in just to make sure.
bookman156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 10:52 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookman156 View Post
The trouble is you forget what styles you're using, so they probably leave them all in just to make sure.
That's why my preference is to load in my rather large default stylesheet and then remove unused styles when I'm done. I also strip the comments since they are for my benefit and likely not very useful to anyone else.

After a couple of years of maintaining that stylesheet, I admit to feeling a lot more sympathy for some users of publisher stylesheets where multiple suckers have to use it.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote