Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-03-2022, 10:08 AM   #16
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The reason you've never thought about that before is because it's not something you'd thing about because it's wrong and if you had seen this happen, then you would have already thought about this.

That wiki has mistakes. This is just one of them. The body/html CSS is also wrong.

I've never seen margins in the body style effect only the first and last page/screen of a chapter. <body> is like a <div> in that it surrounds what it is the body style is applied to.
Have you ever used the scrolling feature of ebooks...rather than the page flip? If you use scrolling then there is only 1 large <body> with one margin on top, and one margin at the very bottom.

Some devices use an algorithm for displaying pages that is similar to that scrolling - and thus the body margin would only apply to the first and last page.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 10:45 AM   #17
bookman156
Addict
bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
The reason you've never thought about that before is because it's not something you'd thing about because it's wrong and if you had seen this happen, then you would have already thought about this.
I never thought about it because I don't use @page. Anyway, doesn't seem much point as all ereaders but Kobo it seems places the control of margins in their own settings.
bookman156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2022, 10:48 AM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Update that page then!
Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Never managed to log-in to that!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 10:52 AM   #19
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Have you ever used the scrolling feature of ebooks...rather than the page flip? If you use scrolling then there is only 1 large <body> with one margin on top, and one margin at the very bottom.
By accident on some Android apps. IMO a weird default. I know some people like scrolling, but it's dire on eink and I can't see the point on modern GUIs. I'm looking forward to page/codex option on browsers. Choice is good. Scrolling is so 2,300 years ago on paper and pre-1976 on screens.
Old 09-03-2022, 11:04 AM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookman156 View Post
I use @media print and then take out the elements that don't work on paper with display: none. Styling for print is just as important as for the various sizes of screen. There's no point not having webpages make sense on paper, but not everyone bothers.
Indeed.

So I don't bother with saving and edit of HTML if making a website into an ebook for my own consumption.
I have a LO Writer template with small page, no header, no footer, no page numbers and styles that work in epubs.
I copy and paste from web page into LO Writer and often big chunks of body as "unformatted" (i.e. they'll use default body style).
I fix headings, lists, tables, images and links.
Delete any imported styles.
Save as native ODT for edits.
Make sure all images are jpg at 95% quality.
A last save as in docx.
Add to Calibre.
Convert to epub2.
Voila! Almost perfect epub. Maybe just some images need CSS edited to width <suitable >% and height auto.

Then lie in bed read & annotate about Lake District, Manannán or whatever big web page (or site(s), I may take many pages from one site or combine sites) on a Kobo eink. Much nicer way to do research of big subjects than on a browser. And I do have a "paper like" 4K 28" HDR display perfect brightness, contrast and room light.
Advert
Old 09-03-2022, 11:23 AM   #21
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
By accident on some Android apps. IMO a weird default. I know some people like scrolling, but it's dire on eink and I can't see the point on modern GUIs. I'm looking forward to page/codex option on browsers. Choice is good. Scrolling is so 2,300 years ago on paper and pre-1976 on screens.
With scrolling comes the ability to auto-scroll!!

My thumb is getting arthritis from having to flip pages constantly (you should see my wife's thumb )....so auto scroll solves that problem....I set it to the speed I read, she sets hers to the speed she reads, and no sore thumbs!!

Hands free reading is awesome!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 11:37 AM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

I've never seen margins in the body style effect only the first and last page/screen of a chapter. <body> is like a <div> in that it surrounds what it is the body style is applied to.
It might for a Monolithic book file with only 1 Body tag for the whole thing
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 12:05 PM   #23
bookman156
Addict
bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Then lie in bed read & annotate about Lake District, Manannán or whatever big web page (or site(s), I may take many pages from one site or combine sites) on a Kobo eink. Much nicer way to do research of big subjects than on a browser.
That's a nice idea. I've done it with my own websites when I want to proofread in a different format and also go from web-book to epub, so I have the code in Atom (which is really good) and then I take what I need and put it in Sigil.
bookman156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 12:17 PM   #24
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Never managed to log-in to that!
You need to setup a wiki account; it's distinct from the MobileRead forum account. See the login/create label at the top of a wiki page --> https://wiki.mobileread.com/w/index....rnto=Main+Page

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 02:12 PM   #25
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I tried that too.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:17 PM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
With scrolling comes the ability to auto-scroll!!

My thumb is getting arthritis from having to flip pages constantly (you should see my wife's thumb )....so auto scroll solves that problem....I set it to the speed I read, she sets hers to the speed she reads, and no sore thumbs!!

Hands free reading is awesome!
Autocue is like that. I hate it*. I don't read at a constant speed anyway. You'd want a camera and eye tracking so it stops automatically. Also LCD/OLED. Scrolling is garbage on eink.

If you have a sore thumb you must have clunky buttons, fast reading and/or tiny screen.

[* I did work in broadcasting for a while]
Old 09-07-2022, 06:09 PM   #27
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Some devices use an algorithm for displaying pages that is similar to that scrolling - and thus the body margin would only apply to the first and last page.
This technical talk:

covered a lot of the algorithms used in devices/apps.

Many of them fake it with CSS "columns", then just shift you left/right by a chunk at a time.

(This is why some renderers, you can accidentally see leaked text from the left/right pages. Or you get strange highlighting artifacts along the edges.)

I described and linked to a little more resources in this post:
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:24 AM   #28
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:

So I don't bother with saving and edit of HTML if making a website into an ebook for my own consumption.
I have a LO Writer template with small page, no header, no footer, no page numbers and styles that work in epubs.
I copy and paste from web page into LO Writer and often big chunks of body as "unformatted" (i.e. they'll use default body style).
I fix headings, lists, tables, images and links.
Delete any imported styles.
Save as native ODT for edits.
Make sure all images are jpg at 95% quality.
A last save as in docx.
Add to Calibre.
Convert to epub2.
Voila! Almost perfect epub.
You can make an epub from web pages with the extension "Save as eBook", that works for Chrome/Firefox/Opera. The ePub generated is very good and only need just some adjustment that you can make in Sigil or Calibre Editor; all the hard work is made by the extension.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 04:09 PM   #29
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
You can make an epub from web pages with the extension "Save as eBook", that works for Chrome/Firefox/Opera. The ePub generated is very good and only need just some adjustment that you can make in Sigil or Calibre Editor; all the hard work is made by the extension.
It's a rubbish way of doing it. I gave a tutorial last Friday to a teenager on the copy/paste to LO Writer, fix styles, save extra docx and almost automatic Calibre to epub. He grasped editing the CSS of class on an image at once, which is only edit needed.

There is so much crazy stuff on websites that the intermediate edit in wordprocessor is a must. Also makes it easy to combine parts of different sites. We used Wikipedia and SacredTexts pages on the same mythic character for the tutorial.