Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2021, 12:37 AM   #16
Gone
Out of order
Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
What you're looking for is the classic invert or night mode, not the new Dark Mode (the defining characteristic of which is that it ONLY inverts text in books and nothing else).

You can get the classic invert or night mode on any model Kobo using the method I described here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=37
So, with that classic invert, everything is white on black, even the UI and the dictionary?

If so, I’d be more interested in that method then the new Dark Mode.
Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:15 AM   #17
taos
Connoisseur
taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
Should I rename it?
No, that's not necessary. You can have two dictionaries with the same name (e.g. dicthtml-fr.zip): the original Kobo one in the dict directory (which might get updated during sync or firmware update) and the other one in custom-dict.

And if you're afraid that the French dictionaries from Kobo might get even worse (wouldn't be the first time) there's always room for another one (or two) as dicthtml-fr-fr (I've kept one of the earlier French dictionaries for a long time - surviving even the replacement of the successor)....
taos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2021, 12:00 PM   #18
Gone
Out of order
Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taos View Post
No, that's not necessary. You can have two dictionaries with the same name (e.g. dicthtml-fr.zip): the original Kobo one in the dict directory (which might get updated during sync or firmware update) and the other one in custom-dict.

And if you're afraid that the French dictionaries from Kobo might get even worse (wouldn't be the first time) there's always room for another one (or two) as dicthtml-fr-fr (I've kept one of the earlier French dictionaries for a long time - surviving even the replacement of the successor)....
Thank you.

Merci!
Old 10-31-2021, 04:23 PM   #19
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
So, with that classic invert, everything is white on black, even the UI and the dictionary?

If so, I’d be more interested in that method then the new Dark Mode.
Exactly.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 04:00 PM   #20
Gone
Out of order

Thanks to everyone here for you help and knowledge.

I now have Nickel Menu installed with only Invert & Reboot and Screenshot as options.

And the dictionary in custom.

I feel like a have a new Kobo!
Advert
Old 11-01-2021, 06:58 PM   #21
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Thanks to everyone here for you help and knowledge.

I now have Nickel Menu installed with only Invert & Reboot and Screenshot as options.

And the dictionary in custom.

I feel like a have a new Kobo!
I am assuming you have a flipcase and do not use the power button to wake up your kobo because you have screenshot rnabled?
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:56 AM   #22
Gone
Out of order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
I am assuming you have a flipcase and do not use the power button to wake up your kobo because you have screenshot rnabled?
No, I have no case.
Old 11-02-2021, 01:25 AM   #23
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, I have no case.
how will you wake up the kobo if your power button is the screenshot button?
Old 11-02-2021, 01:41 AM   #24
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Even when I have it in a case, I end up with lots of screenshots. But, plugging it into a USB port should wake it. Or waving a magnet across the screen. The "waving" is because I am never sure where the sensor is.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:53 AM   #25
Deobulakenyo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Even when I have it in a case, I end up with lots of screenshots. But, plugging it into a USB port should wake it. Or waving a magnet across the screen. The "waving" is because I am never sure where the sensor is.
That is the problem that I have for screenshot.

I do not use a case and i do not want to, and i cannot use a magnet because magnets mess up my automatic watches' movement.
Old 11-02-2021, 04:04 AM   #26
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
That's the whole point of putting Screenshots enable/disable in Nickel Menu: toggle it on in Nickel Menu if you happen to want to take a screenshot; take the screenshot with the power button; then toggle it off in Nickel Menu, and the power button goes back to waking or putting to sleep your Kobo ereader.

This is the Nickel Menu code that does the trick:

Code:
menu_item :main    :Screenshots     :nickel_setting :toggle :screenshots
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 04:08 AM   #27
Deobulakenyo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
That's the whole point of putting Screenshots enable/disable in Nickel Menu: toggle it on in Nickel Menu if you happen to want to take a screenshot; take the screenshot with the power button; then toggle it off in Nickel Menu, and the power button goes back to waking or putting to sleep your Kobo ereader.

This is the Nickel Menu code that does the trick:

Code:
menu_item :main    :Screenshots     :nickel_setting :toggle :screenshots
Does it not require reboot to toggle the on/off? If i remember it correctly, I used it before and then when i toggled it off, the power button still takes screenshot. But i may be remembering it incorrectly,
Old 11-02-2021, 05:46 AM   #28
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Does 'waving a magnet' actually keep it on? I assumed that moving the magnet away would wake it and moving the magnet over would put it to sleep?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:39 AM   #29
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Does 'waving a magnet' actually keep it on? I assumed that moving the magnet away would wake it and moving the magnet over would put it to sleep?
It works to wake the device. If the magnet passes over the right spot, it triggers the sleep, but it is already sleeping. Then when you move the magnet away, the device wakes. I just tested by moving the edge of the Sage (it has magnets to hold it in the cover) across the screen of my Libra H2O.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:50 AM   #30
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
It works to wake the device. If the magnet passes over the right spot, it triggers the sleep, but it is already sleeping. Then when you move the magnet away, the device wakes. I just tested by moving the edge of the Sage (it has magnets to hold it in the cover) across the screen of my Libra H2O.
So you can't put it in sleep mode (and keep it in sleep mode) by simply waving the magnet; the magnet must stay over the spot.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dark mode, kobo, libra h2o