Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-09-2021, 09:00 AM   #16
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2scre View Post
Thank you I found 0.9.14
https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil...ses/tag/0.9.14

I tried 1.5.1 but is there only codeview for it?
Why do you strongly recommend 1.5.1 ?
Why did they get rid of the BookView?
BookView has been replaced with a separate app. For details see Where's Book View?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:24 PM   #17
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Thank you I found 0.9.14
https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil...ses/tag/0.9.14

I tried 1.5.1 but is there only codeview for it?
Why do you strongly recommend 1.5.1 ?
Why did they get rid of the BookView?
Bookview allowed too many people to make really messy html mistakes when they tried to write the book in book view.

What you really want to use is the Preview window. It looks exactly like Bookview, but you have the added benefit of having them both displayed at the same time. You make a change in Codeview and you can instantly see how it will look. You can even detach Preview and put it on a separate monitor so you don't lose any realestate! By using preview/codeview, you aren't accidentally drawn in to making those errors that was prevalent in Bookview.

Also, 1.5.1+ is supported by the developers. They actively implement bug fixes and improvements that you will not be a part of if you limit yourself to the old software.

But wait - there's more! The developers have added PageEdit - that you can install and link with sigil. This is an editor that allows those who wish to do basic edits in a wysiwyg environment without the errors that were caused by Bookview.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2021, 11:35 PM   #18
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Oh you can still make errors in PageEdit
but once you exit PageEdit you are faced with CodeView in which you can clean up any messes you made, run epubcheck, force yourself to learn some xhtml, etc, etc.

Too many people used BookView as a crutch and never once looked at the actual code generated and old Sigil let them get away from it. This made many users feel that any mistakes they made were the responsibility of the Sigil Developers who could really do nothing about it.

Separation was key to dealing with that and forcing users to take responsibility for their own code if they choose to use PageEdit to do more than simple typos, proof reading, and basics.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:05 AM   #19
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
>Why did they get rid of the BookView?

Because people used it to edit stuff, and that seldom turned out well.

Sigil now has a Preview that IMHO is superlative and far superior to Book View.

I do all my editing in Code View. I see no need for Page Edit.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:57 AM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I do all my editing in Code View. I see no need for Page Edit.
Indeed I'd use a word processor if I was actually writing or major edit of content and use code view in Sigil or Editor in Calibre to either fix badly formatted ebooks from elsewhere or fix minor CSS issues of stuff converted from a word processor file.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2021, 07:11 PM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Preview to LOCATE the text, Code view to fix it then Preview to sanity check the fix.
(FWIW I leave Preview up on a second monitor. Got older, smaller Monitor around. Good use, even rotated to Portrait view
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:05 AM   #22
2scre
Zealot
2scre began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I'm trying 0.9.14 right now but the background color is black and I can't read.
2scre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:52 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Actually, the current version is 1.6.0. You really should install the latest version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 02:24 AM   #24
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
You'll be happy to live without the PSOD (Pink Screen O'Death), trust me. The PSOD was my boon companion for a while and I learned to save early and save often.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:34 AM   #25
2scre
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
You'll be happy to live without the PSOD (Pink Screen O'Death), trust me. The PSOD was my boon companion for a while and I learned to save early and save often.

Hitch
You mean Pink Screen happens often on the version I'm using?
Old 06-12-2021, 08:35 AM   #26
2scre
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, the current version is 1.6.0. You really should install the latest version.
I'm used to BookView.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:57 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm used to BookView.
Do you use BookView for anything more then a preview? That's all I ever used BookVew for so losing it was no big deal.
Old 06-12-2021, 02:01 PM   #28
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
You mean Pink Screen happens often on the version I'm using?
LOL, only if you screw the pooch often, which was one of my favorite stupid pet tricks, like deleting a closing tag, or accidentally deleting the end of a div that held a bunch o' other stuff, or...well,lots of "screwing-up" options.

I can't speak for Kev(in) and Diap, but they did some magic hoodoo stuff back there in the guts, and made it so that it doesn't do the PSOD when you screw up. If you're learning, the PSOD will bite you right in the ass. Hell, it will do it to me now, if I didn't upgrade.

You may like Bookview, but trust me, you will be a better, more accomplished person if you learn to work in Code View. Bookview really was a crutch. Yes, it made Sigil popular, in some ways, but...the way that Valloric created it (the original miscreant!), it gave people that false sense of security, as if it were a word processor with magic written in the back end--Word with an "export ePUB" button and it was NEVER THAT.

Sigil is really meant for people who have learned about ePUB and can move with facility (or learn to move with facility) in/out of code view. It's not Word+ePUB and if you use the later versions, I think you'll find that it's quite facile, quite easy, to use. And wouldn't you prefer to have more actual command over what it's doing?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:02 AM   #29
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
>You may like Bookview, but trust me, you will be a better, more accomplished person if you learn to work in Code View. Bookview really was a crutch. Yes, it made Sigil popular, in some ways, but

I don't understand the affection people seem to have for Book View. To me, Preview seems far better and makes Sigil proof against those who would mess up the html by editing in Book View rather than switch to Code View.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 04:16 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The only thing I ever did in BookView besides use it for preview was to sometimes correct typos. But I did nothing that would do anything with the code.That was always done in CodeView.