Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-31-2020, 09:11 PM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassini View Post
Could you tell me what is/are the main difference/s between TL5 and TL4? I found some small changes in size of reader's body only. Or there is new firmware 6? But is is in TL4 also.
The TL5 has a dual core CPU and the SmartLight (warm light) feature (TL4 is single core and only white light). I didn't realize they had changed the size of the body?

Last edited by rcentros; 07-31-2020 at 09:13 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:46 AM   #17
Cyfranek
Groupie
Cyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: PocketBok Era, Kindle Oasis 3, Bookeen Diva HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I didn't realize they had changed the size of the body?
The size of the body is the same in all (6') current PocketBooks.
Cyfranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2020, 04:53 PM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfranek View Post
The size of the body is the same in all (6') current PocketBooks.
That's what I thought. I think that's a great feature in the PocketBook line.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:37 AM   #19
cassini
Enthusiast
cassini began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3
For me is strange why there is no info on PB TL5 in official pages of Pocketbook?
https://www.pocketbook-int.com/int/products/e-ink
But I see on few eshops that this product does exist.
cassini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:40 AM   #20
Cyfranek
Groupie
Cyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: PocketBok Era, Kindle Oasis 3, Bookeen Diva HD
There is an info on PB's official Polish page: https://pocketbook.pl/pl-pl/catalog/...touch-lux-5-pl
Cyfranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2020, 09:21 PM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassini View Post
For me is strange why there is no info on PB TL5 in official pages of Pocketbook?
https://www.pocketbook-int.com/int/products/e-ink
But I see on few eshops that this product does exist.
It's there (at the link). PocketBook recently changed their English website (and address) but it looks like the old ones are still hanging around.

Here's their current English Catalog page...

https://pocketbook.ch/en-ch/catalog

The Touch Lux 5 is there (along with the three colors of the Touch Lux 4).

The Russian PocketBook site also shows it, although there they just call it the PB628.

https://pocketbook.ru/

Last edited by rcentros; 08-03-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:47 AM   #22
Lykke
Groupie
Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

Here's their current English Catalog page...

https://pocketbook.ch/en-ch/catalog]
Haha, it's already classified a "bestseller". :P
Lykke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lykke View Post
Haha, it's already classified a "bestseller". :P
I think the "Bestseller" category just means their most popular (medium priced) reader line. Kind of like the Kindle Paperwhite for Amazon or Clara for Kobo.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:37 PM   #24
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Thumbs down

The Touch Lux 5 had all the potential to become my favourite Pocketbook reader, because of the warm SmartLight with a nice orange hue, very low minimal brightness, the Micro-SD-slot and the lovely red colour. But they blew it big time.

I ordered two devices and both had the screen built in a bit too much to the left. Both also had a colour and brightness gradient from left to right. On closer inspection, this is a built-in "feature": There are 8 orange and 8 white LEDs. So on the far left there is an orange one and on the right a white one
The second device would have been almost acceptable, but it had a faulty pixel, so I sent it back, too. I will save myself from further hassle with the device. I always have back luck with red Pocketbook devices.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:33 PM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
The Touch Lux 5 had all the potential to become my favourite Pocketbook reader, because of the warm SmartLight with a nice orange hue, very low minimal brightness, the Micro-SD-slot and the lovely red colour. But they blew it big time.
Sorry to hear that. This is one of the two or three PocketBook models I've been looking at — the TL5, the HD3 and (now back on the table) the TL4. That's odd that they would have 8 and 8 LEDs. All that I've seen in the past have white LEDs on the outside edges and one less of the "orange" LED.

You say the screens were offset to the left. Does that mean they weren't placed in the case properly? Maybe the other white LED is there, just hidden behind the bezel? (Sounds like terrible quality control or very rough shipping.)

Thanks for the report.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:56 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The touch lux 5 has one major issue with it. The screen is not 300DPI. It's 212DPI.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:56 PM   #27
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The touch lux 5 has one major issue with it. The screen is not 300DPI. It's 212DPI.
If you want 300dpi, then you can buy the HD3. If you want cheaper, you can get the touch lux.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:34 PM   #28
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
If you want 300dpi, then you can buy the HD3. If you want cheaper, you can get the touch lux.
Yeah, I have one "major issue" — I'm cheap.

Besides the 212 vs 300 dpi screen, the HD 3 is also waterproof (which isn't a big deal for me), has sound (for audio books – which I don't use – and TTF, which I've only used occasionally on older Kindles and might try on the HD3). The TL5 has two main advantages, a microSD slot (which I also don't use) and is about $50 or $60 cheaper. (I've never paid more than $75 for an eReader, but I've made up for it in volume.)

I've been mostly reading on two PocketBooks lately. My PB615 and TL3, both use E-Carta 212 ppi screens (with 8 LEDs) and they seem to be fine. But I need to make a closer comparison to my 300 dpi screens before I make any decision. If the Touch Lux 3's battery would stay up, that would probably work just fine.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:01 PM   #29
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I'm still using my Touch Lux (1). I have no problems reading on it. A better screen would be nice, but isn't necessary.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:50 AM   #30
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
That's odd that they would have 8 and 8 LEDs. All that I've seen in the past have white LEDs on the outside edges and one less of the "orange" LED.
That's what you would expect if you want to have an evenly lit screen, right? Makes absolutely no sense to me the way they built it.

Quote:
You say the screens were offset to the left. Does that mean they weren't placed in the case properly? Maybe the other white LED is there, just hidden behind the bezel? (Sounds like terrible quality control or very rough shipping.)
Could also be a fault in the screen itself. I didn't open the case, but I guess there isn't much space to place it in incorrectly. I've seen at least 6 Pocketbook devices with really crooked displays so far, so it's something they've been having problems with for a long time.

There is no other white LED, the light wouldn't be visible anyway.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote