Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 06-03-2020, 12:17 PM   #16
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
Thanks for the update. I found myself drowning in paper notes until I decided that the important stuff needed to be in my head. If I decide to take notes on the Alita I’ll bear Moon+Reader in mind - I don’t need the aggravation right now. Everything is a pain with these devices.

Last edited by bazz2004; 06-03-2020 at 12:22 PM.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:27 PM   #17
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

OK TimA. Suppose all goes well and you spend six months reading,using dictionaries and amassing notes. Suddenly, there is a crisis say because an update goes wrong or memory corrupts. Your books are backed up to computer, USB stick or maybe the cloud. What about those precious notes? They need to be backed up and in a handy format like pdf ? Worst case scenario is having them locked into an app that won't let you retrieve them?

Maybe there is an easy solution but so far these seem to be elusive. Have you any thoughts on this because it's important?
Advert
Old 06-03-2020, 07:02 PM   #18
TimA
TimA began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz2004 View Post
OK TimA. Suppose all goes well and you spend six months reading,using dictionaries and amassing notes. Suddenly, there is a crisis say because an update goes wrong or memory corrupts. Your books are backed up to computer, USB stick or maybe the cloud. What about those precious notes?
When I finish a book with Moon+ Reader pro, which I have marked up with highlights and text comments, I export them all to a text file using the share function(*). I offload the resulting text file to my computer and import them into Evernote. I also copy them into an entry in my reading journal in Day One. So, multiple backups on multiple platforms, no problem, and I leave them on my Likebook Mars as well for direct reference inside the epub via Moon+. There is a way to export notes (also by the share function) so that they can be reread by Moon+ so if a book is lost then they can be replaced once the book is replaced, but I don't bother with this.

If I use Moon+ with a dictionary to translate words I don't know, I highlight the word and include the translation as a note. Once I'm done I have a vocabulary list for reference and further memorization.

*: I do this by selecting the table-of-contents view from the menu at the bottom of the page reached by a center tap. At the top of the menu that appears, you can then view "bookmarks" instead of the table-of-contents. There is then a share icon at the bottom left corner, which lets you export them as a text file, sharing to the file browser. It's circuitous, maybe, but it works, and I only need to do it once per book, unless I go back and further annotate.
TimA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:44 PM   #19
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I use Goldendict free with Koreader. Goldendict can work with any number of dictionaries to be found on the internet in bgl and stardict format. I use it with Koreader but it will work with moon pro and coolreader too.I use them on an Onyx but they will work on a Likebook or any Android device
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:17 AM   #20
bazz2004
Groupie

I think we've chased dictionaries around enough. Goldendict is something I'm not smart enough to master and can't see why it's worth bothering. I'm pleased with what I've got now. I prefer the easy route with an e-reader rather than an obstacle course to be mastered.

Thanks TimA for the useful info about how notes can be backed up. I'll save that elsewhere in case later I return to the fray but for now I've had enough.

I'm just using the Alita to read novels in my native English. What's really needed is for Boyue/Likebook to rapidly develop their native reading app so that we aren't faced with all these challenges. Better not to hold our breath though.
Advert
Old 06-04-2020, 04:25 AM   #21
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz2004 View Post
I'm just using the Alita to read novels in my native English. What's really needed is for Boyue/Likebook to rapidly develop their native reading app so that we aren't faced with all these challenges. Better not to hold our breath though.
Why? There are so many Android reading applications that Boyue should take care of and fix system errors.
And in the area of reading applications where the pen is used - pdf - it is excellent anyway.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:38 AM   #22
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I use Goldendict free with Koreader. Goldendict can work with any number of dictionaries to be found on the internet in bgl and stardict format. I use it with Koreader but it will work with moon pro and coolreader too.I use them on an Onyx but they will work on a Likebook or any Android device
In addition, Koreader has a menu option Open Previous Document, so it is very fast to move between two documents. The Gesture Manager allows this function to be assigned to a screen zone, so it is possible to switch between docs by, for example, touching a chosen corner of the screen.

Edit: Based on your previous comments, Koreader is probably too feature-rich / complex for you. Perhaps a Kindle would suit you.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 06-04-2020 at 11:22 AM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote