Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 05-26-2020, 04:46 AM   #16
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I read comics on an Onyx Nova 7.8".
I prefer Likebook - they have a much better file management than Boox and for reading im using Perfect Viewer.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:57 AM   #17
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
"I don't wish to be an Onyx fanboy, but the device is excellent for reading comics, both because of hardware, and also because of software." Pajamaman

As Onyx have managed to update some of their devices to Android 9.0 and Boyue are unable to roll out similar upgrades to any models your choice was wiser. We are still stuck with Android 6.0. An OS upgrade was said to be imminent when I bought my Alita at an eye watering price last Autumn. As yet nothing.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2020, 01:57 PM   #18
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz2004 View Post
As Onyx have managed to update some of their devices to Android 9.0 and Boyue are unable to roll out similar upgrades to any models your choice was wiser. We are still stuck with Android 6.0. An OS upgrade was said to be imminent when I bought my Alita at an eye watering price last Autumn. As yet nothing.
The last information I got from Boyue was that they are working on the update, but that Corona has hit the company hard and there are delays.

Onyx never updated any of their devices to Android 9 - such information is incorrect.
There are new devices with a lot of harware changes that have been equipped with Android 9.
Onyx has also not yet updated any device with regard to Android.

And my Nova2 has a terrible bug, whenever the sun shines on the screen, it turns gray - pictures can be admired in the Onyx thread.
Interestingly, Boox did not point out the benefits of working in the sun with this product.

Onyx is innovative - with Likebook I never had a problem.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:56 AM   #19
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

It's hard to get any solid info with these strange devices. There's a hands on review in Nov 2019 (GoodEReader) of the Onyx Note 2 mentioning it running Android 9. To blame Covi9-19 on the failure to roll out the OS upgrade doesn't ring true. They've made a number of regular firmware upgrades and promised the Android 9 update a couple of times well before this current crisis.

Excuse me for being personal but why are there folks on the forum who have multiple Android e-readers from different manufacturers? They are clearly painfully slow - reminding me of early pc's where you could almost make a hot drink while waiting for them to be ready to go. Also, they are buggy and difficult to utilise fully. Are they given to folks in exchange for help with development or for maybe review purposes. I can think of little which would be less useful to make a collection of. At least stamps appreciate in value.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:28 AM   #20
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
It's hard to get any solid info with these strange devices. There's a hands on review in Nov 2019 (GoodEReader) of the Onyx Note 2 mentioning it running Android 9. To blame Covi9-19 on the failure to roll out the OS upgrade doesn't ring true. They've made a number of regular firmware upgrades and promised the Android 9 update a couple of times well before this current crisis.
It makes a difference whether an update happens within the existing system or whether a system update is made
Quote:
Excuse me for being personal but why are there folks on the forum who have multiple Android e-readers from different manufacturers? They are clearly painfully slow - reminding me of early pc's where you could almost make a hot drink while waiting for them to be ready to go. Also, they are buggy and difficult to utilise fully. Are they given to folks in exchange for help with development or for maybe review purposes. I can think of little which would be less useful to make a collection of. At least stamps appreciate in value.
The answer is simple:
EInk has many advantages over flashlights (colored screens) that throw the light directly into your eyes.
And different sizes make sense for a wide variety of applications.
And why different manufacturers?
Likebook does not have 6 or 13.3 inch devices - only those that are easy to use are available from Boox.
Advert
Old 05-27-2020, 05:22 AM   #21
bazz2004
Groupie

I don't understand the answers I'm getting and not getting here. The thread is all over the place - like these exotic e-readers. Yes e-readers are cheap (but not these) easy to use (but not these) and far better for the eyes. So there are lots of Kindles and Kobos plus models from those who quit the field. Nobody would argue against the value of the screens apart from regretting the death of research to develop a colour version. We are still awaiting the arrival of a user friendly b/w model that will sell in quantity making it available at sensible prices.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:46 AM   #22
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
I don't understand the answers I'm getting and not getting here. The thread is all over the place - like these exotic e-readers. Yes e-readers are cheap (but not these) easy to use (but not these) and far better for the eyes. So there are lots of Kindles and Kobos plus models from those who quit the field. Nobody would argue against the value of the screens apart from regretting the death of research to develop a colour version. We are still awaiting the arrival of a user friendly b/w model that will sell in quantity making it available at sensible prices.
I don't understand this answer.
No off-the-shelf e-reader can meet my requirements - so they are unusable for me and I don't think I will bother with such crutches in the long run.
Then there is only the possibility to adapt the device to me - and this is easiest with Android-based devices, because there are a myriad of reading applications and library management applications that only need to be installed and set.
And then it doesn't matter what environment I get my books from, I can read them all, because I want to read and not to wait until ......
Old 05-28-2020, 07:34 AM   #23
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I prefer Likebook - they have a much better file management than Boox and for reading im using Perfect Viewer.
AFAIK Perfectviewer cannot divide a large page into smaller panels. Correct me if I'm wrong. I am looking for apps that can do this. I cannot read comics on a 7.8" device without this feature.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:38 AM   #24
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
"I don't wish to be an Onyx fanboy, but the device is excellent for reading comics, both because of hardware, and also because of software." Pajamaman

Generally Onyx, despite promises to the contrary, do not upgrade Android on a device. This is a bone of contention for many Onyx users. Personally I don't care much. I sideload apk files I get from the net. There is lots for Android 6, which I am on, and I doubt it will present a limitation for me for some time. I suppose it depends what you want to do with the device. As I understand it, many newer versions of Android are security fixes. I don't care about security on my ereader, within limits.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:11 AM   #25
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
I have a history of Android e-readers. I began with a Nook ST that I rooted. I used it for writing. I still use it. It remains my best device for working with text away from a distracting computer. I used it yesterday to review and edit a text out in the sun. If I had stayed home, I would have got nothing done.

I then bought an Onyx T68 and a Boyue T62 used from the same mobilereader. I meant to just get the Boyue, but he did me a deal for both. The Boyue is long dead with a defunct battery. It was also unstable with apps. The T68 remains perfectly functional, though it has an awful tough screen and a too bright light. Otherwise I'd probably still be using it.

I also now how have a rooted Nook GL3. The OS is hotrrible, but the screen and light are the best I've had. I use it to read on. I had to root it in order to install Koreader which has a reverse dark screen night mode. If the default Nook software had that, I may not have bothered.

I bought the Nova (1) 7.8" in order to read comics and pdf files. It does the job very well. As I said, the neoreader app is essential. If a similar app existed on the Likebook, I might get one of those, though I've read the screen and light on the Likebook is not as good, but the touch screen is more sensitive (Onyx touch screens have always been a bit insensitive, but they are acceptable to me now.)

Finally I deci
Old 05-28-2020, 08:13 AM   #26
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
I don't understand the answers I'm getting and not getting here. The thread is all over the place.
Welcome to mobileread.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:26 AM   #27
bazz2004
Groupie

Thanks for the info on your e-reader career Pajamaman. I've been discouraged by my Boyue experience. Keeping up with Windows is enough of a challenge for me so I'm in no hurry to get another e-reader. I'm relieved that I now know enough to use the Boyue Alita. The devices are so slow that they seem antique.