Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-29-2019, 01:52 AM   #16
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
HLS--
The device was defective and Amazon sent a replacement device. Instead of requiring it to be returned, they blacklisted the device. Just a step by Amazon to make sure that the device being replaced is truly not going to be used.
I agree and said as much a few posts back. OP is in denial, thinks buying one kindle entitles him to have two....

anyway, to return to the original question " can a blacklisted device be registered".. the answer is NO.

even if someone here knew of a hack, forum rules would not allow posting it

seems pointless to let the thread continue.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:11 AM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's wrong no matter how much you paid or even if it was free. You know it was stolen and yet this stolen Kindle is still being used. You've made your father an accessory to a crime. What you should have done when Amazon said to get your money back was go to the police and report this stolen Kindle.
Your opinion noted but rejected. I paid for the Kindle, found out it was blacklisted and offered to send it back to Amazon so they could send it to the original owner. At that point Amazon could have made the original owner "whole." Did they tell me to send it? No. Did they tell me to take it to the police station and report it? No. What would the policemen do with a product worth $20 or $30? at the most? (Probably hold on to it for a year and sell it at a police auction.) Amazon's only concern was that I be made "whole" again by getting my money back from the pawn shop. Advice of dubious value since the pawn shop employee would have probably told me to pound sand. I decided to make myself "whole" by using the device. Do I feel bad about this? Not one bit.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2019, 05:29 AM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Deleted by me. Off Topic and unnecessary.

Last edited by rcentros; 11-29-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:11 AM   #19
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Knock it off, those to whom this applies. I've already said that people shouldn't ascribe underhanded behavior to other members. You are free to discuss morality in general terms, but not to denigrate others directly. Specifically, "This is bad," as opposed to "You are bad." "In my opinion" is also a very useful phrase in polite discourse, especially when other reasonable opinions may exist. Two more points: please be aware of the mote in your own eye and let the moderators do the moderating. Please.

Future posts that are in contravention of this will be deleted.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:42 AM   #20
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I think "I own this device therefore I can do what I want with it" only goes so far. I own a car but there are lots of limits on how I can use it on the public highways. It's not even true morally. There are thing I can legally do with stuff I own that are morally wrong.

That said it doesn't look like anyone but Amazon can re-register a blacklisted device. And they treat blacklisted devices as if they are functionally dead. So if someone chooses to use a blacklisted device, with its limited functionality, I say why not?

From Amazon's point of view the device has been paid for* they're really protecting their content. So I think so long as you're not using it to access content you haven't paid for/legitimately borrowed then I'd be ok with it morally.

(*even the case where they're replacing a device they're writing off it's effectively "paid for" by warranty i.e. it's covered in the X% of returns they budget for)
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2019, 07:33 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A Kindle gets blacklisted for a two reasons.

1. Stolen or lost and reported by the owner
2. Broken or defective and Amazon sends a replacement but doesn't want the original Kindle back

The OP is dealing with reason 2 and the answer is it cannot be registered.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-29-2019 at 07:36 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:39 AM   #22
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
FWIW i don't buy the $50 to send it back store either , unless the OP is in Antartica?

last time I sold an unwanted Kindle on Ebay it cost me < £4 to ship it, signed for.

Amazon are in so many countries now, surely it would be returned to the nearest on; also, amazon pay all return postage on defective items , in warranty, sold by amazon. They used to even send a courier to collect it though in Uk they have phased that out in favour of you print a label then take it to the nearest of thousands of drop off points

Last edited by stumped; 11-29-2019 at 07:48 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:04 AM   #23
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with using a blacklisted Kindle--especially if Amazon is aware that the Kindle is still in circulation and they haven't requested it to be returned to them. If the device is semi-functional and someone wants to use it, why not? It makes no sense to me to add more electronic waste to our landfill by trashing a device that works for someone.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:48 AM   #24
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with using a blacklisted Kindle--especially if Amazon is aware that the Kindle is still in circulation and they haven't requested it to be returned to them. If the device is semi-functional and someone wants to use it, why not? It makes no sense to me to add more electronic waste to our landfill by trashing a device that works for someone.
The fact that Amazon blacklisted it is why. They don't blacklist them for no reason...they do it intentionally. They know it is still in circulation, or they wouldn't bother blacklisting it.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:20 PM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I don't think Amazon cares. Why should anyone else?
Old 11-29-2019, 04:26 PM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The fact that Amazon blacklisted it is why. They don't blacklist them for no reason...they do it intentionally. They know it is still in circulation, or they wouldn't bother blacklisting it.
I think, from their point of view, blacklisting the device (thus rendering unusable on their system) is their main concern. I don't think they really care if you side-load books to it and use it with limited functionality. If that was a big concern to them, I think when I offered to send the blacklisted Kindle Keyboard back to them, they would have taken me up on that offer. Instead they told me to take it back to the pawn shop, whom they knew would probably resell it to someone else. You'll find blacklisted Kindles for sale on eBay all the time. If Amazon really cared they could demand eBay take these Kindles down and not allow their sale.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:31 PM   #27
DrD123
Connoisseur
DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The marketplace on eBay and many pawn shops have lots of locked devices (iPhones, Kindles, etc.) - if you purchase a used Kindle, find out it's locked and listed as lost/stolen, reach out to Amazon to see how to get it back to the original owner, and Amazon won't provide a means to do that, then there's not much you can do. If a partially crippled device does what you need, you might as well keep it out of the landfill and use it.

Keep in mind, "blacklisting" is for lost or stolen, as reported by the original owner - so they could have lost their luggage, left it in a cab, whatever - then just reported it as lost to Amazon and it got locked. I've never heard of Amazon locking down a broken device, but that doesn't mean they don't do it. Either way, doesn't really matter - once blacklisted, only Amazon can lift that, and if it was blacklisted due to being lost or stolen, short of being contacted by the original registered owner that they have found their device, it's going to stay that way.
DrD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:25 PM   #28
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
It has always puzzled me why Amazon can't/don't return reported blacklisted kindles to their original owners.

For example, if I find a kindle in the street and discover that it's blacklisted, when I contact Amazon why wouldn't they just ask me to return it? Then they could, from the details, find who it's registered to and contact them, then return it.

Maybe they just hope that the original owner would purchase another device - another kindle - in order to access their books? Thereby making Amazon more money via the new device. But there's no guarantee that the original owner wouldn't buy a Kobo etc.

Whereas returning the kindle would enable the owner to continue buying Amazon's books, rather than risking the purchase of another type of ereader.

Their current policy seems like madness.

Likewise in situations where a kindle owner has been sent a new kindle and told to keep a broken one. If the previous kindle wasn't blacklisted it could be given to a friend, or relative, who would use it to purchase ebooks from Amazon after re-registering it. Though I can see how this could be open to abuse, but it's up to Amazon to suss this.

Just seems that Amazon could handle situations like these a little more imaginatively.

Last edited by BookCat; 11-29-2019 at 09:33 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:44 PM   #29
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
For example, if I find a kindle in the street and discover that it's blacklisted, when I contact Amazon why wouldn't they just ask me to return it? Then they could, from the details, find who it's registered to and contact them, then return it.
No company does this. Apple, Samsung, cell phones companies, etc. It would be a man-power nightmare. Too much work, that would cost too much in time and record keeping, and no real benefit for Amazon.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:53 AM   #30
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Your opinion noted but rejected. I paid for the Kindle, found out it was blacklisted and offered to send it back to Amazon so they could send it to the original owner. At that point Amazon could have made the original owner "whole." Did they tell me to send it? No. Did they tell me to take it to the police station and report it? No. What would the policemen do with a product worth $20 or $30? at the most? (Probably hold on to it for a year and sell it at a police auction.) Amazon's only concern was that I be made "whole" again by getting my money back from the pawn shop. Advice of dubious value since the pawn shop employee would have probably told me to pound sand. I decided to make myself "whole" by using the device. Do I feel bad about this? Not one bit.
It might be interesting to take it to the police to see what they say? It may be a legitimate device, but if it was stolen, the police may (or may not) be interested in pursuing it.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote