Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-07-2019, 11:20 AM   #16
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Nooks aren't buggy except for the Glowlight 3.

But I do agree with the Kobo firmware having more options.
Is this accurate even today for whatever the latest firmware is in regards to the glowlight 3, 6”?

I thought about trying one of those since they can be had very cheap now but the bugginess… Is that endemic to the hardware itself specifically?
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:08 PM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
Is this accurate even today for whatever the latest firmware is in regards to the glowlight 3, 6”?
To be clear on what is buggy with the Glowlight 3 (at least in my personal experience):

The device works perfectly fine for the most part. When reading, it is as stable as any other reader.

When not reading (searching, navigating the library, etc.) it is noticeably slow. I've never noticed any slowdown when reading. It behaves fine there.

The problems happen when you sideload (I sideload all books on all my readers). When I eject the Glowlight 3 it is very slow to rebuild its database. Using the 'Open book' icon in the middle of the bottom of the screen too soon after ejecting will open some random book rather than what I have been reading.

If I eject the Glowlight 3 and just leave it alone for ten minutes or so after ejecting, then start messing with it, things are fine.

I don't use collections (Shelves on a Nook), but I have heard some users say that those also disappear when sideloading.

Besides the 3, I have the 2015 Plus which runs the same firmware and it is faster when navigating and doesn't have any of those sideloading quirks. It just works as expected.

Quote:
I thought about trying one of those since they can be had very cheap now but the bugginess… Is that endemic to the hardware itself specifically?
When the 3 came out, even though they advertised 8gb of internal storage, they actually only allowed 2gb for sideloading and the rest was partitioned to only allow content from B&N directly. It was a stupid decision and people complained.

B&N put out an update that swapped partitions, giving you 5gb (I think? I don't remember exactly how much). It was after that update that the bugginess started.

The 2015 Plus and 2019 Plus never had that happen, so they should be more stable (though I only have experience with the 2015).

If this helps: The 3 is used primarily by my better half. I do the sideloading and I notice the issues. She just reads and has never complained about bugs on the reader.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2019, 12:10 PM   #18
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That helps immensely, thank you
That sounds like it might be worth taking a flyer on a really good used version
Old 11-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
That helps immensely, thank you
That sounds like it might be worth taking a flyer on a really good used version
One other thing I'll point out. You seem to be very picky about the front lighting. I can say that none of my Nooks (a couple of Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus 2015 and Glowlight 3) have any lighting issues at all. In general, Nook screens are beauties (well, as beautiful as an e-ink screen can get).

Early models of the new Glowlight Plus had a single dead pixel, but I think they've fixed that.

Having said all that, Nook software is very barebones. No custom fonts unless you embed them in the book yourself. Limited options compared to Kobo. And half of the home screen is links to the store.

I do think they do a very good job on book layout though. Often the epub on my Nook will look slightly better than the kepub layout on my Kobo, so it's not all bad.

Spend some time with a Nook in store. Make sure you're okay with the software.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:30 PM   #20
bookyboy
Addict

So ironic on timing. I’m literally at a BN right now!

You are right on the screens and lighting!
These screens are gorgeous.
Advert
Old 11-07-2019, 06:22 PM   #21
bookyboy
Addict

Bought one and am updating it now!
Excited to give this a proper "go"
Old 11-09-2019, 01:29 AM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Right on. Hope you do enjoy your Plus. I've read about them, but haven't seen one in person.