Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-27-2019, 12:58 PM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozkas View Post
adding 2 lines in the kobo config file.
It adds an option of exporting notes when longpressing in a book.
I found it not that helpfull as it exported a notepad with "highlighted text" and my note below so i could not import back on another device
KoboUtilities in Calibre is good, no excellent. I've no idea why I'd want to import back to different ereader, but then all my notes are for consumption on my laptop. Other people may have other uses.

What is this magic configuration?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:52 PM   #17
Mivey
Mivey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Privacy & security
The privacy argument is fairly limited. Sure, knowing which books someone reads could tell you a lot about them, but they don't have a name to match them with. If you sensibly block cookies and scripts where possible, they also won't be able to determine that from your browser, so they just get a list of books which they can't match with anyone. Boo hoo

As for security, you are just giving them a database. Even if your (hashed and salted) password is on there, it won't do them any good (because it's hashed and salted).

I do agree though that this should be released as a standalone, native app, mostly because I don't care or like to use for web technology.
Mivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2019, 08:35 AM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The operator of the site is also getting details.
Unfortunately people reuse passwords. Many supposedly hashed and salted passwords are stored in logs in plain text. Not all site operators are expert.
The site could easily be hacked even if the site operator is ethical.
Also not everyone lives in a "safe country".
Even UK & USA can demand passwords & all sites you use and prevent entry / arrest / deport on basis of notes.

Store notes on a PC/Laptop, not the Internet.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:26 AM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivey View Post
As for security, you are just giving them a database. Even if your (hashed and salted) password is on there, it won't do them any good (because it's hashed and salted).
Sorry, but, they could do damage to your Kobo account. Or buy some book if you have a credit card attached to it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:35 PM   #20
Mivey

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry, but, they could do damage to your Kobo account. Or buy some book if you have a credit card attached to it.
Oh yeah, you can pay directly from the ereader, I always do that via Paypal from the website. I suppose uploading those credentials anywhere is a big no-no, but it's kinda insane that you'd ever store them in clear text anyway.
Advert
Old 09-28-2019, 03:35 PM   #21
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I can't help but wonder if uploading a stripped down database would be an option. I seriously doubt all the tables in it are required for the extraction of annotations to function.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:40 PM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I can't help but wonder if uploading a stripped down database would be an option. I seriously doubt all the tables in it are required for the extraction of annotations to function.
They should only be using the content and Bookmarks tables, so it is possible. But, it needs someone to write the code and then for people to use it.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:10 AM   #23
Mivey

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
So, just out of curiosity, I had a look at the KoboReader.sqlite inside my Aura One.

This is the output I get from .tables:
AbTest OverDriveCards WordList
Achievement OverDriveCheckoutBook content
Activity OverDriveLibrary content_keys
AnalyticsEvents Reviews content_settings
Authors Rules ratings
BookAuthors Shelf shortcover_page
Bookmark ShelfContent user
DbVersion SubscriptionProducts volume_shortcovers
Dictionary SyncQueue volume_tabs
Event Tab
Images Wishlist

And for the life of me I can't find anything there that seems to store credit card data. The closest might be various access tokens, but to use those you'd also need to figure out how the Kobo Web APIs work.
To delete those all you need to do is drop the respective entryies in user:
drop table "tablename"

If anyone wants do this, simply copy the KoboReader.sqlite onto your PC, install sqllite on you machine, and just open it. Even without SQL it shouldn't be that hard to drop any table that seems "bad" to you.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:52 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Privacy & security
That is up to the user.You decide if it's OK to share your highlights or not. Personally, the highlights I have can be shared no problem. I just highlight so I can fix any errors found.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:47 AM   #25
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is up to the user.You decide if it's OK to share your highlights or not. Personally, the highlights I have can be shared no problem. I just highlight so I can fix any errors found.
As has been pointed out it’s more than just the highlights and notes that reside in the database.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:58 AM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivey View Post
So, just out of curiosity, I had a look at the KoboReader.sqlite inside my Aura One.

This is the output I get from .tables:
AbTest OverDriveCards WordList
Achievement OverDriveCheckoutBook content
Activity OverDriveLibrary content_keys
AnalyticsEvents Reviews content_settings
Authors Rules ratings
BookAuthors Shelf shortcover_page
Bookmark ShelfContent user
DbVersion SubscriptionProducts volume_shortcovers
Dictionary SyncQueue volume_tabs
Event Tab
Images Wishlist

And for the life of me I can't find anything there that seems to store credit card data. The closest might be various access tokens, but to use those you'd also need to figure out how the Kobo Web APIs work.
No, the credit card info isn't in the database. But, I didn't say that. And I deliberately didn't say how I would use the database.
Quote:
To delete those all you need to do is drop the respective entryies in user:
drop table "tablename"

If anyone wants do this, simply copy the KoboReader.sqlite onto your PC, install sqllite on you machine, and just open it. Even without SQL it shouldn't be that hard to drop any table that seems "bad" to you.
That is correct, and I would recommend doing at least that if you are going to use the site under question. But, that is more than most people would be willing to do.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:41 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is your email address in the database. And there are some authorization tokens. Now those I'm sure most would not want to send.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:32 PM   #28
fferreira
fferreira began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
What are exactly the privacy and secutiry issues regarding https://www.thekobonotes.com? The sqlite file never leaves your browser, only the notes are uploaded to our database.

Last edited by fferreira; 09-30-2019 at 12:35 PM.
fferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:08 PM   #29
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

The fact you are saying that illustrates HUGE naivety.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:57 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fferreira View Post
What are exactly the privacy and secutiry issues regarding https://www.thekobonotes.com? The sqlite file never leaves your browser, only the notes are uploaded to our database.
Yes it does leave the browser. The database file has to uploaded to your site for you to pull out the highlights.