Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 08-06-2019, 10:36 AM   #16
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
Where !? What is the button for?
I don't see any side buttons anywhere.
* Just the Power button on the bottom of the device.

[Inkpad 3 Pro in video] :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAUnWbivI4w
they probably got the official press release, and misread it.

It happens.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:28 AM   #17
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO.PocketBook.ONYX
Google Translate Error ?!

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 08-06-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2019, 06:05 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
Google Translate Error ?!
that happens too
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:58 PM   #19
Wicked John
Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura
is the screen quality (lighting uniform etc) the same or better than non pro version?
Wicked John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #20
Geenween
Enthusiast
Geenween began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Energy reader Pro+
Hello!

Out of curiosity, has anyone bought/tried one of these devices? I see it's available on Amazon in my country, but there are no reviews there yet, and I'd like to have feedback about it.
Geenween is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2019, 05:12 AM   #21
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
@Geenween I just bought it. It works. Note taking is still rather crappy, but better than on my Kobo Aura H2O v1. I think I like it rather too much to return it because of that.

Impressions:
* Reading a scanned pdf with OCR underneath works well.
* Koreader doesn't yet. Not sure whether you need it, though.
* Dictionary access is weird: you select a word by holding, than you tab the dictionary icon appearing on the top of the screen. It takes rather long. I prefer Koreader's approach. Did nobody hack this, yet?
* It has auto lighting: Very nice, although it could use some extra tuning. Even in the dark it doesn't go to the extreme of warmth (as opposed to cool: orange verses blueish.)
Still exploring. If you have a specific question: Just ask.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:31 AM   #22
Lykke
Groupie
Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Markismus: There should be a dictionary mode that allows one-tap lookup. In the reader, in the bottom menu, bottom right corner, "Dictionary".
Lykke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:17 AM   #23
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Thanks!

Next problem seems to be installing better dictionaries. I assume those KD(Xx-Yy) are the Linguosoft dictionaries that were advertised?

What about the firmware? What apps can be installed on the Inkpad 3 Pro aka PB740-2 with software version U740-2.5.20.1155?
Old 11-23-2019, 08:33 AM   #24
Lykke
Groupie
Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

You can convert dictionaries in Stardict format to the Pocketbook dictionary format with the official dictionary converter: http://support.pocketbook-int.com/di...yConverter.zip
Old 11-23-2019, 08:55 AM   #25
Markismus
Guru

Dictionary conversion from Stardict to Pocketbook

Again thank you, Lykke. I found a version from our forum here. That one includes a German and English howto and the example folders with the necessary files for conversion.

Following the manual here, I still got stuck a few times.
However, Together with linguae* and some manual intervention to get convertor.exe to accept the generated dict.xdxf files (, replacing '>' symbols in the description with a regex <(?!(ar|head|k|def|/|\?xml|xdxf|full|descr|date)) or indenting too long XML lines,**) I finally got all dictionaries converted.

The resulting dictionaries retain bold, italics and enumeration: Very beautiful! However, references to wav-files for pronunciation are flat text. They ought to be filtered out before conversion.

My conclusion is that this beautifully formatted text is a step up from Koreader dictionary support.
However, you're not able to select a word from the dictionary for lookup, while Koreader can. You'll have to press the pencil and write the word for further lookups.

Last edited by Markismus; 11-24-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:09 AM   #26
turngren
turngren began at the beginning.

Device: none
Flush Screen?

I'm having trouble finding out online (I'm at work so I can't watch video reviews at the moment) as to whether the screen is flush or not. I know a lot of ereaders are adding this as part of the waterproofing - is yours flush, or is it set behind the plastic bezel?
turngren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:34 AM   #27
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turngren View Post
I'm having trouble finding out online (I'm at work so I can't watch video reviews at the moment) as to whether the screen is flush or not. I know a lot of ereaders are adding this as part of the waterproofing - is yours flush, or is it set behind the plastic bezel?
No, it is not flush. The screen is recessed a bit. There is an advantage to it AFAIK, a flush screen needs another layer to be capacitive and IIRC thus the recessed screens tend to be a little crisper.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:48 AM   #28
ezdiy
Zealot
ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: KT, KPW4, PB740-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
* Koreader doesn't yet. Not sure whether you need it, though.
Koreader works fine. It still has the issue common for every allwinner board that you need to prod it during long operations (loading large folder, bigger cbz or pdf).

All praise aside, certain things are a bit shoddy: Wifi gets disabled for no apparent reason now and then. Powersaving is a bit dumb compared to kindle. Just minor issues for otherwise decent hardware though.
ezdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:39 AM   #29
Markismus
Guru

I have a bit of a problem with the power button. I have to press it rather long, repeatedly, before it wakes after long time non-use (30min). The button presses rather heavily, too!

Am I doing something wrong?
Does anyone recognize this?
Is there a work around?

I feel like I am going to break this button within a month this way!

EDIT:
After testing it turned out that I had to press the power button and the page forward button to turn in on.
I changed the key mapping of ON/OFF from short press is lock and double press is power off to short press is power off. It now works.

Last edited by Markismus; 11-27-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:51 AM   #30
Lykke
Groupie

That's odd. By default it should respond after a 2-3 second press of the power button.