Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-06-2019, 07:30 AM   #16
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I've not been a big fan of yWriter, not because it's ugly (Windows Scrivener is every bit as ugly), but I find the program a bit 'fiddly'. However, I DO like the idea that there is an Android version.

Maybe now that I'm a bit more comfortable in my writer-ish 'skin', I'll give it another go.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:15 AM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I've not been a big fan of yWriter, not because it's ugly (Windows Scrivener is every bit as ugly), but I find the program a bit 'fiddly'. However, I DO like the idea that there is an Android version.

Maybe now that I'm a bit more comfortable in my writer-ish 'skin', I'll give it another go.
Y'know, compared to Scrivener, I don't find it fiddly at all. I guess what I like about it is that you can be as fiddly as you want. You can, for example, add information for your scenes list for each chapter, so you know what locations you use, what items (cars, wrenches, the candlestick!), along with notes, or not. You can track what viewpoint a particular scene is written from, if applicable--or not.

It allows you to use the Goal/Conflict/Outcome or Reaction/Dilemma/Choice tracking, to keep your plot moving along, if you're a fan of Dwight Swain. For Plotters, that can be invaluable. (Not so invaluable for Panters, too; I recommended it to one of my clients and he said that although he thought his book was finished, after he plunked it into YWriter and thought he'd use the Action/Reaction tracking--"just for fun"--he realized that he had TONS of dead-air scenes clogging up his thriller and learning that helped him pare it down and make it lean and mean. Says he never would have realized it without YWriter.)

To me, it just has everything--or not. That's the part I like. You can make use of every single function, or not. I've simply never found anything else that's quite as complete that doesn't make you leap through all sorts of BS to make it work. And, of course, the timeline, which I rave about all the time, if you're trying to track some massive number of characters in some massive saga.

And, lastly--it doesn't need a manual the size of the NYC phone directory, either. It's all pretty straightforward, which I also like. And Simon's added eBook export capabilities, too, which is pretty cool. (n.b.: I have NOT tested these, so I can't say how great, or not, they are.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2019, 11:01 PM   #18
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I currently use Scrivener, but I have written a couple of books in yWriter and really liked it. The biggest advantage Scrivener has for me is that it's cross-platform, which matters a lot as I switch between Mac and PC dozens of times a day.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:28 AM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I currently use Scrivener, but I have written a couple of books in yWriter and really liked it. The biggest advantage Scrivener has for me is that it's cross-platform, which matters a lot as I switch between Mac and PC dozens of times a day.
THAT is the best reason I've ever heard for using Scrivener, truly. Or, for that matter, any other program/app that doesn't have cross-platform capability.

Yeah, y'know, as I said, I've tried pretty much everything and I am extremely fond of YWriter. Ain't purty, as I have mentioned, don't got no fancy corkboards, but it's hard to find anything else with that functionality across the board. (I confess that the Swain Action/reaction stuff has been great, apparently, for some of my clients whom I've turned on to both Swain and YWriter. I have to admit, I've seen their stuff get MUCH tighter, much more compelling. Can't swear, of course, that it's Swain+YWriter, but it's some remarkable coincidences if it's not.)

Hitch
Old 06-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #20
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
THAT is the best reason I've ever heard for using Scrivener, truly. Or, for that matter, any other program/app that doesn't have cross-platform capability.

Yeah, y'know, as I said, I've tried pretty much everything and I am extremely fond of YWriter. Ain't purty, as I have mentioned, don't got no fancy corkboards, but it's hard to find anything else with that functionality across the board. (I confess that the Swain Action/reaction stuff has been great, apparently, for some of my clients whom I've turned on to both Swain and YWriter. I have to admit, I've seen their stuff get MUCH tighter, much more compelling. Can't swear, of course, that it's Swain+YWriter, but it's some remarkable coincidences if it's not.)

Hitch
Oddly enough, I have a copy of Swain's Techniques of the $elling Writer sitting on the shelf above my monitor.
Advert
Old 06-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Oddly enough, I have a copy of Swain's Techniques of the $elling Writer sitting on the shelf above my monitor.
Should I ask if you've read it, or is it just decorative?

Hitch
Old 06-09-2019, 05:40 PM   #22
Lemurion
eReader

Quote:
Should I ask if you've read it, or is it just decorative?

Hitch
I've actually read it-- the spine isn't that decorative.

It's funny; it originally captured my attention because I'd read a pulp SF novella of his, Crusade Across the Void, in a reprint SF magazine as a teen in the 70s. I enjoyed the story so I figured I'd give his advice a try.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:04 PM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I've actually read it-- the spine isn't that decorative.

It's funny; it originally captured my attention because I'd read a pulp SF novella of his, Crusade Across the Void, in a reprint SF magazine as a teen in the 70s. I enjoyed the story so I figured I'd give his advice a try.
Lem:

I was teasing. I've seen a bit of your stuff, so I was reasonably sure you had.

Hitch
Old 06-09-2019, 10:44 PM   #24
Lemurion
eReader

Quote:
Lem:

I was teasing. I've seen a bit of your stuff, so I was reasonably sure you had.

Hitch
I figured you were... hence my smiley face.

Sadly that doesn't always come across well in text.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:08 PM   #25
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I figured you were... hence my smiley face.

Sadly that doesn't always come across well in text.
I know. Fortunately, we've crossed paths here for a long time now. :-) Thus, I was never concerned. I wish I could get MORE of my clients to read Swain, but alas, Mine is not to reason why...

Hitch