Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-24-2019, 11:32 PM   #16
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I’m getting it, I ordered a white one which is arriving on Tuesday! I traded in an old kindle and used some birthday gift card money so I ended up paying just $10 for it. I plan to keep it in my purse and take it everywhere and leave my Oasis at home. I’m excited because it’s white, and I haven’t had a white kindle since my K2. I’m not worried about the poor resolution... I don’t need waterproofing and inverted text as I have my Oasis for that.
That's an awesome out of pocket price.

I plan on nabbing one to play with when it goes on sale. I'm more than fine waiting 'til Prime Day. Now that it has built-in lighting, I expect this to be Amazon's best selling model (at least when the price difference is actually $30-40 instead of the $10-15 right now due to PW4 discounts).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:04 AM   #17
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
10th Generation Kindle IS the PW4:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=10th+g...d2815b4b867733

Not the Basic!
https://www.amazon.com/All-new-Kindl...dp/B07DLPWYB7/

So bing trumps amazon as a source of information about amazon products?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2019, 01:03 PM   #18
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
https://www.amazon.com/All-new-Kindle-now-with-a-built-in-front-light/dp/B07DLPWYB7/

So bing trumps amazon as a source of information about amazon products?
No where does it call it the 10th gen. ....most likely this New Basic is the 11th
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:10 PM   #19
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks like we are Both Right!! https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201263790

Which Kindle E-reader Do I Have?

Kindle (10th Generation)

Distinguishing Features
Touchscreen
VoiceView screen reader over Bluetooth
Adjustable screen light
Released April 2019

Note: "10th Generation" is included in the name of this device because it is the 10th generation of Kindle e-readers to be released; not all of them by the same name. Not all of these generations have been available in global marketplaces outside of Amazon.com.

• Get help with Kindle (10th Generation)

Kindle Paperwhite (10th Generation)

Distinguishing Features
Touchscreen
Adjustable screen light
Released November 2018

Note: "10th Generation" is included in the name of this device because it is the 10th generation of Kindle e-readers to be released; not all of them by the same name. Not all of these generations have been available in global marketplaces outside of Amazon.com.

• Get help with Kindle Paperwhite (10th Generation)
Old 04-25-2019, 01:12 PM   #20
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Seems the OP needs to Clarify which one he asking about....
Advert
Old 04-25-2019, 01:20 PM   #21
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Seems the OP needs to Clarify which one he asking about....
The title is clear. It’s referring to the Kindle (10th Generation). The PW4 is the Kindle Paperwhite (10th Generation).

I think you’re the only one who kept insisting the thread was about the Paperwhite.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:24 PM   #22
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
10th Generation Kindle IS the PW4:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=10th+g...d2815b4b867733

Not the Basic!
Quote:
No where does it call it the 10th gen. ....most likely this New Basic is the 11th
That page (for the basic) has this text:
Quote:
Generation All-new Kindle 10th Generation - 2019 release.
Quote:
Looks like we are Both Right!!
No! You wrote that the basic is not 10th generation. That is not correct.

I did not dispute that the PW4 is 10th generation.
Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201263790

Which Kindle E-reader Do I Have?

Kindle (10th Generation)

Distinguishing Features
Touchscreen
Adjustable screen light
Released April 2019

• Get help with Kindle (10th Generation)

Kindle Paperwhite (10th Generation)

Distinguishing Features
Touchscreen
Adjustable screen light
Released November 2018

• Get help with Kindle Paperwhite (10th Generation)
When is the mobileread community going to admit that amazons muddled use of generation makes generation number a poor way to specify a device in a post?
Old 04-25-2019, 01:31 PM   #23
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
When is the mobileread community going to admit that amazons muddled use of generation makes generation number a poor way to specify a device in a post?
Lol, I thought that was already the consensus on MR? For the Paperwhites, folks here always just refer to them as PW, PW2, PW3 and PW4. For Oasis, it’s either KOA and KOA2, or Oasis and Oasis 2.

I’m still confused what code naming are assigned to basic Kindles. The last I saw on the Kindle Serial Numbers wiki is KT3 and I have no idea if that’s the same as Amazon’s Kindle (8th gen) or if it’s something even earlier.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:00 PM   #24
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Yes, KT3 is Kindle (8th gen), so we would assign KT4 to the Kindle (10th gen).
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:17 PM   #25
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Lol, I thought that was already the consensus on MR? For the Paperwhites, folks here always just refer to them as PW, PW2, PW3 and PW4. For Oasis, it’s either KOA and KOA2, or Oasis and Oasis 2.

I’m still confused what code naming are assigned to basic Kindles. The last I saw on the Kindle Serial Numbers wiki is KT3 and I have no idea if that’s the same as Amazon’s Kindle (8th gen) or if it’s something even earlier.
Maybe in the Developer's Corner, but not MR at large.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:43 PM   #26
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
‘Kindle’ always requires some qualifying terms applied to it. I prefer to use what Amazon uses on their support pages, e.g.:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201263790

I think the ‘generation’ naming is somewhat post hoc but they have been pretty consistent about it for awhile. Yes it is more letters to type but generation number tells a little more, such as when it was released (roughly number of years since first gen) as well as what software is running on it (current update supports 6th generation or later).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:09 PM   #27
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

But amazon allegedly numbers generations differently in different markets.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:46 PM   #28
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
But amazon allegedly numbers generations differently in different markets.
I’m afraid mere allegations are not sufficient evidence for me to change my worldview in matters as serious as this one is.

I did a quick check of Japan site, they definitely include generation number in the current Paperwhite listing.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:13 PM   #29
khitan
Enthusiast
khitan can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhitan can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhitan can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhitan can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhitan can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhitan can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhitan can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhitan can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhitan can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhitan can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhitan can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Entry Level Kindle
I got one, I've been using it mainly for development, browsing, and testing.
It's been working just fine.
khitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:45 PM   #30
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe and Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
That's an awesome out of pocket price.

I plan on nabbing one to play with when it goes on sale. I'm more than fine waiting 'til Prime Day. Now that it has built-in lighting, I expect this to be Amazon's best selling model (at least when the price difference is actually $30-40 instead of the $10-15 right now due to PW4 discounts).
I just quadrupled my outlay by buying the blue official cover.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote