Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-23-2019, 02:30 PM   #16
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I would suggest uploading them to a GitHub repository and telling people "use it if you want, but none of this is supported and if you have issues, you get to fix them yourself".

Anyone using a plugin would need to build it from a directory of python files that they manually obtained, and there's a much lower guarantee of suitability than if it was in the official plugin index. OTOH it can still prove useful to people, if only as an example or as code snippets, and who knows -- someone may contribute useful changes.

You can configure the repo to disallow issue requests, and only allow pull requests. It's a pretty good way to guarantee that only people with code to share can start a conversation.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-23-2019 at 02:32 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:29 PM   #17
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
BTW... I would be interested in those editor plugins... so I can see how they work and perhaps evolve them to my own use cases..
I'll PM you later this week. Just be aware that the only documentation is in the code. I should have added Documentation as reason no.4 why sharing plugins is problematic. All 18 of my Editor Tool plugins are consolidated in a single 'toolbag' so I think the least I need to document is a one-liner about each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I would suggest uploading them to a GitHub repository and telling people "use it if you want, but none of this is supported and if you have issues, you get to fix them yourself".
I fear you've greatly overestimated my understanding of GitHub. I have enough trouble keeping a sync-ed copy of the latest calibre code on my PC. "Clueless" would be a fitting description.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #18
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can use programs like GitHub for Windows, or source code editors with git/GitHub integration like atom or Visual Studio Code, to click a button and upload "new version X" from your master directory. It could be a fun learning experience, potentially and if you really try to learn it then the ability to look at history is really, really neat. Don't give up so quickly just because you think it's beyond your experience.

OTOH don't feel pressured into it if you just don't think you'll get much out of it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:10 AM   #19
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'll PM you later this week. Just be aware that the only documentation is in the code. I should have added Documentation as reason no.4 why sharing plugins is problematic. All 18 of my Editor Tool plugins are consolidated in a single 'toolbag' so I think the least I need to document is a one-liner about each.
No problem, as it's the current situation for my plugins (and I've been there a lot of times in my work), I'll check which they do and that's all.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote