Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i suddenly have a powerful urge to read that book.
In "Heros" one of the character's name is "Hiro".

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #17
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I know. I thought at the time it was a blatant rip-off.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #18
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Slashdot has a book review of Stephenson's "Anathem" up right now --- there have been 225 comments on it so far today, with lots of opinions on Stephenson in general and recommendations on what to read and what not to read of his.

www.slashdot.com

Tim

P.S.: Believe it or not, I've never read any Stephenson, but I guess I will tackle the "big three" after the first of the year: Snow Crash, Cryptonomicon, and The Diamond Age.

Last edited by Timoleon; 11-24-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #19
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Snow Crash was brilliant and 'clean.' I felt Cryptonomicon was not so cleanly written. Almost as if he shrugged off any editor's comments and left in every possible turn of phrase that caught his fancy. While it was enjoyable and explored several large themes I continue hesitating to dive into the Baroque cycle. His ancestral/reincarnated lead characters are just too cute as a concept. I figure to tackle Anathem first.

I was a little disappointed by the Diamond Age. I consider myself an above-average reader and still I had to work too hard to flesh out the background. It probably hurt that my gut feeling is if we ever manipulated nanoscopic self-replicating machinery to that extent we'd kill our entire race before gaining the control suggested there (e.g. Crichton's Prey or maybe just grey goo).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:29 PM   #20
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
While it was enjoyable and explored several large themes I continue hesitating to dive into the Baroque cycle. His ancestral/reincarnated lead characters are just too cute as a concept. I figure to tackle Anathem first.
I don't feel that it detracts from The Baroque cycle, though. The characters stand very much on their own merits; and Daniel, Jack and Eliza seemed far more rounded and real than any of their line in Cryptonomicon. Maybe because they'd had three chunky books and one timeline to develop over, as opposed to one book with two time lines.

Anathem is a very good read too.

Although with all those four boooks... they are wordy as well as lengthy, if that makes sense. They're not as snappy as Snow Crash, certainly.

Quote:
I was a little disappointed by the Diamond Age. I consider myself an above-average reader and still I had to work too hard to flesh out the background.
There's parts I like about Diamond Age, and a lot more I really wanted to like. It's not his strongest book, unfortunately.

Quote:
It probably hurt that my gut feeling is if we ever manipulated nanoscopic self-replicating machinery to that extent we'd kill our entire race before gaining the control suggested there (e.g. Crichton's Prey or maybe just grey goo).
Or pink goo
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2008, 05:56 PM   #21
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
I'm in the middle of Anathem at the moment, and finding it unputdownable. But then, I've just done a degree in the History, Philosophy and Sociology of Science, so that may make a difference.

I had to give up reading the Baroque Cycle while doing my degree because I was losing track of what was real history and what Stephenson had made up. His Isaac Newton is so good that I had to keep reminding myself that he didn't really have a room-mate called Daniel Waterhouse.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:24 AM   #22
TimS
TimS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Upon reading The Diary of Samuel Pepys, I noticed a mention of a person with the last name of Waterhouse.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:37 AM   #23
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
I'm in the middle of Anathem at the moment, and finding it unputdownable. But then, I've just done a degree in the History, Philosophy and Sociology of Science, so that may make a difference.
Absolutely loved this book and could not put it down.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:40 AM   #24
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
I recently finished Snow Crash, a few months back I had read Diamond Age. I didn't dislike them, but I felt they were overrated. I think part of the problem is that when I read the books so much felt forced, like straight out of Popular Science, just to appeal to that crowd. As well as character stereotypes, from race to sex to general knowledge and personalities. They seemed to be typical cliches I find in all new books and films today. Take whatever the "norm" was thirty years ago and reverse it which can be just as insulting as the original.

What I eventually realized was that I most likely would have loved the books when they first came out in the early to mid-90s, when they were quite original. (And I did go in for patting myself on the back for recognizing tech/science references more ) The books definitely suck you in and keep you wanting to flip the pages. I'm not really sure why his books leave me like that while a book written 40 years ago doesn't suffer the same ravages of time. Perhaps it was the perception I had going into the book?

I'm probably going to give Anathem a try, I think keeping closer to the publication date helps with his works, at least for me.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #25
Libby Cone
scribbler
Libby Cone doesn't litterLibby Cone doesn't litterLibby Cone doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Like RWJ, my husband reads mainly nonfiction. Cryptonomicon was one book we both enjoyed (though we remember different parts of it!).
Libby Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:56 AM   #26
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I've been a fan of his earlier work. I've had the Baroque Cycle on my reading list for ages, started on it three times, but I've only now "connected" to the story. Took me 1/3 of the first book before I got there which is unprecedented for me. But now I can't seem to stop reading it.

Come to think of it, it took me a long time to get into Cryptonomicon as well.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:30 AM   #27
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just finished Snow Crash. I really enjoyed it. I find the plots of his books a bit silly, basically heroes getting girls and shooting and stuff but then he hangs all these great ideas off the stories and that gets me hanging on. Well that was the case for me with Snow Crash and Anathem. Will give more of his books a go but not sure what next
Old 01-15-2009, 10:01 AM   #28
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
I just finished Snow Crash. I really enjoyed it. I find the plots of his books a bit silly, basically heroes getting girls and shooting and stuff but then he hangs all these great ideas off the stories and that gets me hanging on. Well that was the case for me with Snow Crash and Anathem. Will give more of his books a go but not sure what next
If you enjoyed Snow Crash you are sure to enjoy Diamond Age and Zodiac. I haven't read Anathem (huge reading backlog) - how was it?
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #29
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen

I loved Anathem.

I am a pretty ignorant person I think and had never heard of Neal Stephenson. Anathem was recommended in Time mag and so I hopped on the computer and found it for sale.(I share that with you because I am still infatuated with the process ) I read it under hugely pleasant circumstances and that may have coloured it. I will take your recommendations and try the others. I used to choose books by looking at the cover and the size of the book and then would read a few passages. I have to be more educated buying online I find and so take lots of recommendations on this forum pretty seriously.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:30 PM   #30
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
I loved Anathem.

I am a pretty ignorant person I think and had never heard of Neal Stephenson. Anathem was recommended in Time mag and so I hopped on the computer and found it for sale.(I share that with you because I am still infatuated with the process ) I read it under hugely pleasant circumstances and that may have coloured it. I will take your recommendations and try the others. I used to choose books by looking at the cover and the size of the book and then would read a few passages. I have to be more educated buying online I find and so take lots of recommendations on this forum pretty seriously.
there is a difference between 'ignorance' and 'being uninformed'. You were simply 'uninformed'.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote