Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-27-2016, 11:22 AM   #16
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
I think about 'mount --bind ...' to mount a new x cfg over the existing one while I wonder whether this may work - never used --bind before.
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:41 AM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post
- - - - -
Any information on how to FORCE a value?
We have root after all...

Thanks
I do not have a 'precooked, re-heat and use' answer for that.
Two thoughts -

lipc is just a specialized wrapper around d-bus.
If access controls are set at the lipc level, you might be able to 'go under' those controls using d-bus utilities directly.

At the (presumed) lowest level they may be controlled in the system key data base.
Use the on-board kdb utility to list those db entries (which might be what lipc is doing above as part of its d-bus wrapper functions).

kdb without arguments gives you a handle on basic usage.

The kdb database is in a read-only structure but some of the add-ins modify it by "mount --bind ... ..." something over the entry that needs to be different.
ah, maybe ss does that (something of NiLuje's does).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourcat View Post
I think about 'mount --bind ...' to mount a new x cfg over the existing one while I wonder whether this may work - never used --bind before.
While 'mount' is traditionally used to mount a file system on a raw storage device, Linux has extended it to allow mounting a directory on a directory and a file on a file.

It isn't much different than 'normal' usage,
man mount
will give the details.

And if you don't have a full Linux distribution (with the documentation installed) -
Your favorite web-search application will recognize the:
man mount
as a search phrase.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:57 AM   #19
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
If bind will work, that's great...
I'll come up with an extension/app soon.

Thanks guys.

--
Humorously, I was testing this:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.winmgr orientationLock ?
from A-Z...
Since, normal portrait was U, (upright?)

L made the kindle go to the 'other' landscape option immediately.
The kindle stays like it, and when you try to turn it off by using the Aa button, clicking PAGE, click portrait/landscape, the page flips to the 'normal' landscape. Then you can go back to portrait.
Touch x,y is fine, not reversed etc.

Ok, U is normal, L is 'other' landscape, R is normal landscape.

Nothing from A-Z made it go upside down...

--
if anyone has a KOA, maybe try:
lipc-get-prop com.lab126.winmgr orientationLock
lipc-get-prop com.lab126.winmgr orientation
lipc-get-prop com.lab126.winmgr accelerometer
lipc-get-prop com.lab126.winmgr setAccOrientation

and see what values you get when it's 'upside down'.

Last edited by zxczxc; 09-27-2016 at 12:16 PM.
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:09 PM   #20
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Good, bind mounts are working, as I saw some older kernels don't listen to the read only on creation of the mount, and you have to remount as read only.
I tried that, but I got file busy...
It's working now though, so I hope the busy thing was just a coincidence.

We need it read only because, otherwise makexconfig will just keep recreating the xorg.conf.

And yes, nice to see, when rebooted, the upside down is gone, it boots up 'normally'
--
Oops... the boot screen/tree was normal... but now I'm in diags... ha
(It exited ok, system is fine now)

Last edited by zxczxc; 09-27-2016 at 01:16 PM.
Advert
Old 09-27-2016, 04:23 PM   #21
knc1
Going Viral

next time that happens, dump the kernel ring buffer to a file before exiting (/var/local and /mnt/us are common to the two systems - use whichever you can).

there might be some hints in there about how to avoid that situation.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:19 AM   #22
zxczxc
Addict

I have a feeling it was to do with a usb device in the kindle, since I haven't has it go into diags yes from my testing.

I'm in diags again, I'll try to do that!

Anyway, https://github.com/llakssz/KindleLaz...-upsidedown.sh
KindleLazy now has upside down support
Thanks Yourcat for the work that helped.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:17 AM   #23
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post
I have a feeling it was to do with a usb device in the kindle, since I haven't has it go into diags yes from my testing.

I'm in diags again, I'll try to do that!

Anyway, https://github.com/llakssz/KindleLaz...-upsidedown.sh
KindleLazy now has upside down support
Thanks Yourcat for the work that helped.
This may be a very important discovery.

A solid lead on how to get a "hung" or "bricked" Kindle main system to boot into "Diags" (intentionally).

So once we understand how it is happening . . . .

Specially important on the very expensive, KOA which does not have a serial port (that we have yet found).
Luckily, not many reports (yet) of people with a bricked KOA.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:30 AM   #24
zxczxc
Addict

That's sad that we can't find the serial port...
Sure, I wouldn't want to play around too much with a KOA ha.

Funny... remember how I thought if we wanted the 'other' landscape (270 degrees) - that we could just activate upside down, then go landscape... well the kindle is very annoying.

When upside down and we click the landscape button, it goes to the 'normal' landscape, and touching portrait will return us to a normal upright kindle...

So it seems the only way to get to 270 degrees is:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.winmgr orientationLock L