Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-04-2016, 02:05 PM   #16
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Ah...ok. I just make sure that the mobi file type is set to "both" in my output preferences in Calibre, so that I get .azw3 files sent to the devices that can handle them, and old style mobi to the ones that can't. (I actually still have a K1 that I read on occasionally) The Kindle cloud accepts the Dual-mobis just fine.

Shari
I would do that too, but I've read that the "both" setting will basically triple the size of the mobi file from the Calibre conversion/update...
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:35 PM   #17
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
I would do that too, but I've read that the "both" setting will basically triple the size of the mobi file from the Calibre conversion/update...
It will roughly double it, but only the relevant half gets sent to each device. Amazon rewrites the files for the receiving device: it doesn't just store them.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #18
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
It will roughly double it, but only the relevant half gets sent to each device. Amazon rewrites the files for the receiving device: it doesn't just store them.
Hmmm, that's interesting. So if I understand correctly, I can send one of these .mobi files to my Kindle and it will be like as if I'm reading a .azw3 file? And I can also upload them to my Kindle Cloud library?
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:58 PM   #19
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
When you went back to Factory & re-loaded the ebooks Did you Download them ALL at once? Sounds to me you need to DL them 1 at a time. I thinking one of the ebooks is stuck indexing ... When you find out which one & fix it should be ok.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:27 PM   #20
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Hmmm, that's interesting. So if I understand correctly, I can send one of these .mobi files to my Kindle and it will be like as if I'm reading a .azw3 file? And I can also upload them to my Kindle Cloud library?
Sure. In fact, if you send it to your Amazon Personal Documents, it will download as an actual *.azw3 file.

Caveat: The PDOC service has a bug which means that dual-MOBI's will not show the cover thumbnail on devices which download the PDOC as a *.azw3 -- you can get around that using this application: https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractC...eleases/latest
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert