Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I don't know about good, but the point is that a lot of folks would pay money faster than figuring it out themselves (for any number of perfectly good reasons, and any larger number of not so good ones), especially if they have lots of things to convert.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:20 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Go and look at the site and you'll see .

It's basically a service offered to authors, publishers, and companies who wish to turn existing material into nicely formatted eBooks. They also scan paper books - out of copyright stuff and things for which the customer holds the copyright.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2009, 03:59 AM   #18
mikeoshea
mikeoshea began at the beginning.

Device: none
Auto translate to most eBook formats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricmac View Post
Hi all,

Does anyone know of a good online service for converting text (preferably HTML, but can be plain text too) into common eBook formats: e.g. MS Reader (LIT), eReader (PDB), Mobipocket (PRC), Plucker.

There are various pieces of software you can download to do conversions, but none I know of handle conversions to *all* of the popular eBook formats. And to be frank, I don't want the hassle of downloading and configuring a bunch of software (although I already have Plucker Desktop). I'd much rather have 1 website to go to that does all the conversions for me.

I've actually thought to myself in the past that it would be a good business to do - offer an online web service that converts things into a range of eBook formats. However I concluded that there doesn't seem to be much of a business case for it right now - although Performance Quest is giving it a go.

So I'm thinking perhaps it would be better done as an Open Source project, because such a service would benefit everyone in the eBook community and help popularise eBooks etc. Is anyone interested in that idea?

But first things first, are there existing conversion services available online (and not as a downloadable piece of software)?
https://www.smashwords.com/ is a much recommended site. I'm just about to upload the text of an auotobigraphical novel - 'Brother Barney O.P.' see http://www.o2cbooks.info/ - on the recommendation of a very trusted source. The text must be in MSWord.doc format and is automatically transformed into most ebook formats, as below:

(This is from the smashwords site)
EPUB - This is your most important format! Epub is an open industry ebook format. If your book is available in epub, it can be read on some of the most popular ebook readers and ebook reading software applications (Like Stanza on the iPhone), and will gain the widest distribution via Smashwords’ distribution outlets (EPUB is a requirement for inclusion in Smashwords’ Premium Catalog). Keep your formatting super simple for best results with epub.

Mobipocket (Kindle) - Mobipocket allows your books to be read on the Amazon Kindle, so this is an important formats for you. Mobipocket is supported on Windows PCs and many handheld devices and e-reading applications.

Palm Doc (PDB) - PalmDoc is a format primarily used on Palm Pilot devices, but software readers are available for PalmOS, Symbian OS, Windows Mobile Pocket PC/Smartphone, desktop Windows, and Macintosh.

PDF - Portable Document Format, or PDF, is a file format readable by most devices, including handheld e-readers, PDAs, and computers. A good format if your work contains fancy formatting, complex layout, charts or images. Odds are, if your work looks good in Microsoft Word it will look good in PDF. PDF is also a good option for readers who may want to print out your book on their home computers. On the negative side, PDF is a rigid, inflexible format. Your customers can’t easily change the font size or style to match their preferences, the text isn’t reflowable, and the reader is forced to read page by page.

LRF - This is the standard format for the Sony Reader, a popular ebook reading device. Sony has announced plans to shift entirely to the EPUB format.

RTF - Rich Text Format, or RTF, is a cross-platform document format supported by many word processors and devices. Usually pretty good at preserving original formatting from Word documents.

Plain Text - Plain text is the most widely supported file format, working on nearly all readers and devices. It lacks formatting, but will work anywhere. For best results with plain text, your source document should not contain images or fancy formatting.

I really think this will work,otherwise I would not bother posting.
Good Luck,
Mike O'Shea
mikeoshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:31 AM   #19
WeRa
WeRa began at the beginning.

Device: eco-reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricmac View Post
Hi all,

Does anyone know of a good online service for converting text (preferably HTML, but can be plain text too) into common eBook formats: e.g. MS Reader (LIT), eReader (PDB), Mobipocket (PRC), Plucker.

There are various pieces of software you can download to do conversions, but none I know of handle conversions to *all* of the popular eBook formats. And to be frank, I don't want the hassle of downloading and configuring a bunch of software (although I already have Plucker Desktop). I'd much rather have 1 website to go to that does all the conversions for me.

I've actually thought to myself in the past that it would be a good business to do - offer an online web service that converts things into a range of eBook formats. However I concluded that there doesn't seem to be much of a business case for it right now - although Performance Quest is giving it a go.

So I'm thinking perhaps it would be better done as an Open Source project, because such a service would benefit everyone in the eBook community and help popularise eBooks etc. Is anyone interested in that idea?

But first things first, are there existing conversion services available online (and not as a downloadable piece of software)?
Hi I don't know if you have received an answer as of yet, although I do not know of an online service I do use problems to convert all of my books, thus far I have been able to convert all formats I have come across to a .mobi as I use mobipocket reader and this sweet little reader converts most of my formats so far only .lit it wont so I use a great little program abc amber lit converter to comvert to pdf and mobipocket converts my pdf a bit of moving around although I must say I have a nice little collection now. I also use another program that will put a cover on my books my bookshelf looks fantastic, I hope this maybe might help, if not I would be happy to convert for you! Happy reading
WeRa is offline   Reply With Quote