Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 06:56 PM   #16
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Well, Nate's page says it'll include a leather cover that recharges from the tablet itself. That plus the "8th generation" comment tells me this is another regular (non-front-lit) Kindle? I'd read that cover comment to mean it has a light in the cover, but that it won't require separate batteries.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:01 PM   #17
bshar489
Addict
bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Well, there's worse. I've been pressuring a friend with vision issues to get the Voyage and she finally caved today, when I sent her the link to the sale. And she's someone who always wants the new shiny!

How do I live this down?
I'm telling myself that anything new coming out will be beyond my price range anyway so if I didn't take advantage of the sale and wait, the new one would come out and I wouldn't be able to get it so I wouldn't have one at all. And that's what I'm going to keep on telling myself

Isn't there like 30 days (or longer?) or something that it can be returned? Your friend could return it if she thinks she'd like the new one better, depending on when it's coming out.

Bergette
Advert
Old 04-04-2016, 07:03 PM   #18
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Here´s hoping that they´ll sell internationally from day one. Would have been nice to buy a new Kindle on release day with pre-ordering and everything.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:19 PM   #19
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshar489 View Post
I'm telling myself that anything new coming out will be beyond my price range anyway so if I didn't take advantage of the sale and wait, the new one would come out and I wouldn't be able to get it so I wouldn't have one at all. And that's what I'm going to keep on telling myself

Isn't there like 30 days (or longer?) or something that it can be returned? Your friend could return it if she thinks she'd like the new one better, depending on when it's coming out.

Bergette
Thank you, Bergette. I'm going to own up to her and let her decide. I do think the Voyage is a wonderful value at this price, so much so that bargain-lover that I am, I'm sitting on my hands. I don't need another gadget and the H2O addresses my yen for maximum area (but oh! the better resolution!). The Voyage is a lovely device. And I can't sneeze at a PW for $90, either.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:23 PM   #20
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I have no demands for this new device.
Me neither, apart from the fact that it has to offer something seriously new in the fonts department if it's going to stand a chance of being considered as an upgrade to my 3+ years old KPW1
Advert
Old 04-04-2016, 07:46 PM   #21
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Well, Nate's page says it'll include a leather cover that recharges from the tablet itself. That plus the "8th generation" comment tells me this is another regular (non-front-lit) Kindle? I'd read that cover comment to mean it has a light in the cover, but that it won't require separate batteries.
Liquavista is reflective technology.
If lit, it will be front-lit. Or cover-lit.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #22
Steve H
Connoisseur
Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle HDX, Paperwhite, Oasis2
Well Jeff Bezos says new "Top of the line Kindle". He does not say Voyage. I agree that if they are going to do a color display...now seems about enough time elapsed to get something out of Liquavista. If so they may add audio.
If not maybe there will be a size option. If nothing else I hope for more storage and font options.

With Jeff Bezos tweeting I anticipate a significant change, not just a Paperwhite2 to Paperwhite3 change. Maybe just wishful thinking.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:53 PM   #23
Steve H
Connoisseur
Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hope that the cover is not built in.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:37 PM   #24
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Well, there's worse. I've been pressuring a friend with vision issues to get the Voyage and she finally caved today, when I sent her the link to the sale. And she's someone who always wants the new shiny!

How do I live this down?
Dip it in chrome paint
It will be shiny
Old 04-04-2016, 08:44 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Dip it in chrome paint
It will be shiny
Old 04-04-2016, 08:54 PM   #26
GA Russell
Elks win again!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Haven't the past Kindles been released in September?
Old 04-04-2016, 09:08 PM   #27
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
The last few Fire tablets were launched in the fall.

The last Kindle (Paperwhite, 2015) was launched in the spring, but before that the Voyage was launched in the fall.

So yes.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:09 PM   #28
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The phrasing on Nate's quote of Dave Zatz is curious:

"The cover has internal battery recharged via the tablet itself."

It says nothing about this being used for external light source, which would not be very interesting in the first place. So we can speculate freely:

One can find smartphone cases that include supplemental energy storage. If that is the application used here, then it implies this thing at least sometimes requires more energy than an e-ink display would, and that would support the idea that this thing may have a Liquavista display (which would require back lighting when external light is inadequate). This would not preclude use without the cover, when external light is adequate, but like the lighted covers of yore, this cover would supply the extra energy needed for the back light. And hopefully the assembly with cover is at least as light as a conventional tablet without a cover, but having much lower energy consumption for typical reading.

And yes, one might as well throw in BT and audio with that, and extra storage to handle audiobooks and multiple TTS languages. We're going to be paying for it!

My opening bid is $250 for the above wifi only model, add $80 for free 3G for life of device (not to be used for audiobook download).

Last edited by tomsem; 04-04-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:10 PM   #29
Steve H
Connoisseur

Many have. But I doubt Jeff Bezos is joking. He seems to mainly tweet about his Blue Origin rockets. To depart from his norm may indicate that he thinks this latest device is worthy of his attention...and ours.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:10 PM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Most have been released in the autumn, but by no means all.
Closed Thread