Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-24-2016, 06:07 PM   #16
SomeGuyNamedDan
SomeGuyNamedDan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
While it was put away was anything laying on it that might have been pressing down on the menu key? Or any key? That might cause a key to be either stuck or loose.

Anyway I second the suggestion about a factory reset if you can get that far.

Barry
Nope, it was sitting on my bookshelf on top of some books with nothing on top of it.

CS thought it could be the keyboard sticking, but it works fine sometimes and then goes completely wonky other (most) of the time.

I reckon it's finally giving up the ghost, though maybe somebody more daring then me could take it apart and figure it out.

Factory reset helped for about an hour, then it went crazy again.
SomeGuyNamedDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:31 PM   #17
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Letting the battery go completely flat is not a good thing. I'm rather surprised it works at all.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2016, 09:59 AM   #18
SomeGuyNamedDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Letting the battery go completely flat is not a good thing. I'm rather surprised it works at all.
I've had three surgeries the past seven months, it wasn't something I did on purpose.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Nobody's suggesting that you did do it on purpose. Just that, unfortunately, it's the most likely root cause of your problems.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:14 PM   #20
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyNamedDan View Post

But now the "menu" button either doesn't work regularly (or more often than not - it doesn't work at all). To make matters worse, after reading for about 20 minutes, the menu will begin to pop-up on the screen every 3-5 seconds, making it impossible to turn pages.
I'd spray the menu button liberally with electronics contact cleaner. I've resurrected oh-so-many wonky buttons (especially on remote controls, but also MP3 wheels and buttons, among others) that way. Everyone should have electronics contact cleaner in their electronics toolkit. It's worth a try.

I recently resurrected 4 out of 5 kindles that had their battery drained to zero, and yes, it took some doing in three of those cases to coax them to charge normally. But everything worked fine afterwards. I don't think the battery problem is related to your button problem.

Last edited by jj2me; 03-25-2016 at 03:19 PM.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #21
SomeGuyNamedDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
I'd spray the menu button liberally with electronics contact cleaner. I've resurrected oh-so-many wonky buttons (especially on remote controls, but also MP3 wheels and buttons, among others) that way. Everyone should have electronics contact cleaner in their electronics toolkit. It's worth a try.

I recently resurrected 4 out of 5 kindles that had their battery drained to zero, and yes, it took some doing in three of those cases to coax them to charge normally. But everything worked fine afterwards. I don't think the battery problem is related to your button problem.
Thank you for the advice, I'll give it a shot.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:46 AM   #22
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
The keyboard is a rubberized overlay -- it's all in one piece. No spray of any kind is going to penetrate to the motherboard micro-switches, which wouldn't react to any kind of lubricant anyway.

Last edited by montalex; 03-28-2016 at 11:48 AM.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote