Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #16
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, it's a capacitive touchscreen, which is the same as that used by most phones and tablets.
Good to know thanks! This is actually a good stocking stuffer.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:11 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As well as ready-made gloves, you can also get strips or patches of material that you can sew or glue on to existing garments.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2015, 05:15 PM   #18
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1, and iPhone XS Max
Quote:
As well as ready-made gloves, you can also get strips or patches of material that you can sew or glue on to existing garments.
Oooh, I like this option even better! I'm picky about gloves and I haven't liked most of the capacitive-capable gloves I've seen. Harry's option allows us to choose gloves based on our taste (or even keep the gloves we already have), and just attach a little capacitive patch on one fingertip. It's cheaper than having to purchase a pair of "specialized" gloves.

However, for people looking to buy a NEW kindle and trying to choose between Paperwhite or Voyage, this glove vs page-turn issue could be a valid consideration point.
Vmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:52 PM   #19
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
How about using your nose?

Oh, and the chin works too.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:15 PM   #20
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Another benefit on the voyage, is the more fluent page turns.
If you look carefully how the page flushing happen, not the full page flush, but letter/picture flushing, the voyager offers more fluent motion, than the Paperwhite.

The paperwhite refreshes the screen, while the voyager more 'rolls' the image flush.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2015, 10:21 PM   #21
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Another benefit on the voyage, is the more fluent page turns.
If you look carefully how the page flushing happen, not the full page flush, but letter/picture flushing, the voyager offers more fluent motion, than the Paperwhite.

The paperwhite refreshes the screen, while the voyager more 'rolls' the image flush.
That's just one of many improvements that the Voyage has over the Paperwhite. But I think most people are looking for the major differences, the kind that make a noticeable difference in their reading experience...something that makes it worth an extra $100.

I, personally, enjoy a quicker page refresh. But I wouldn't pay $100 to have it.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:58 PM   #22
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For me, that is the only thing I saw as beneficial.
The weight is another,
but I had hoped at least the screen size of the Voyager would be larger.
I'm still waiting for my 6,8" H2O,but can imagine finding it the bare minimum necessary for reading a paperback in PDF format. On a 5 or 6" screen, it is all very cramped.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:01 PM   #23
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
The weight is another,
I'm still waiting for my 6,8" H2O,but can imagine finding it the bare minimum necessary for reading a paperback in PDF format. On a 5 or 6" screen, it is all very cramped.
Pro,
I would think the Voyager would have big windows or viewing screens.
The Voyage is the ereader. Tell your autocorrect to lose the r.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:32 PM   #24
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

Quote:
The weight is another,
I guess everyone has their own thing. If I didn't have 6 cats and an airborne fur problem, I probably wouldn't even have upgraded. (the fur would get wedged under the bezel.) Aside from that, darker e-ink, more even lighting and page turn buttons were my "thing". However, neither one, by itself, would've been worth $100 to me. But together, they are. I guess it just depends on the needs of the individual.

I typically don't like a lot of bells and whistles. But anything that makes life easier is a biggie for me. And I agree...lighter weight is definitely a major plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Pro,
I would think the Voyager would have big windows or viewing screens.
The Voyage is the ereader. Tell your autocorrect to lose the r.
Heheh, my autocorrect does the same thing. I've called it Voyager a few times, but luckily caught it before it posted.

My autocorrect also seems to think that I should have 6 cars instead of 6 cats. Lol, maybe it's right.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:56 PM   #25
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
All I have is one short haired chihuahua and his hair gets in everything.
Now he is not a lap dog. He just takes half the chair.
So the number of cats is not the problem.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:06 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The weight is another,
I would really appreciate it if you'd stop referring to the Voyage as the "Voyager". I mentioned this to you only a few days ago. It gets a little annoying.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:56 AM   #27
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
All I have is one short haired chihuahua and his hair gets in everything.
Now he is not a lap dog. He just takes half the chair.
So the number of cats is not the problem.
Y'know, I think you're right, because I've only had this many cats for 2 years. (I rescued and hand-raised an abandoned litter two years ago)

Before that, I had only 2 cats, but I still found fur everywhere. I couldn't pour myself a cup of fresh coffee without a piece of fur finding its way to my cup. I honestly don't get how that works...why they seem to float through the air rather than simply dropping to the floor or sofa cushion. My own hair drops to the floor; why not theirs? It's like pet fur has invisible parachutes on them, or something.

But thanks to the Voyage, at least it's not trapped on my Kindle screen anymore.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:58 AM   #28
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

Quote:
I would really appreciate it if you'd stop referring to the Voyage as the "Voyager". I mentioned this to you only a few days ago. It gets a little annoying.
It might not be his fault. My autocorrect does that to me a lot, with that same word.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:23 AM   #29
radbaddude
Addict
radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmurph View Post
Y'know, I think you're right, because I've only had this many cats for 2 years. (I rescued and hand-raised an abandoned litter two years ago)

Before that, I had only 2 cats, but I still found fur everywhere. I couldn't pour myself a cup of fresh coffee without a piece of fur finding its way to my cup. I honestly don't get how that works...why they seem to float through the air rather than simply dropping to the floor or sofa cushion. My own hair drops to the floor; why not theirs? It's like pet fur has invisible parachutes on them, or something.

But thanks to the Voyage, at least it's not trapped on my Kindle screen anymore.
So, what kind of vacuum do you own? You could probably really cut down on all the hair with a nice HEPA canister vacuum.
radbaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:41 AM   #30
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Sorry,
Wasn't aware of it.
I'm typing from my phone, indeed autocorrect.
No reason to get annoyed by.
I could think of more annoying names to call it, unless if you absolutely abhorred Star Trek.
I was rather fond of it though.
If I type voyage with a small 'v' it comes out as voyage.
With a big V it comes out as Voyager

@Vmurph: you could have a case here, and win.
I'd personally prefer 6 cars to 6 cats!

I probably would have gone with the Voyager (-r), if it had a larger screen, but at current can't justify the price difference.
For $200 I would want a more tailored device, while for $100 i can live with the paperwhite's minor cons.

Even my phone has a larger screen than most ereaders, though it's a bit large, even for me.

So far, I think the screen sizes most comfortable to me are:
Smart phone 5.8"
An ebook reader 6.5 to 7.5"
A comic book /pdf reader 11-12"
A laptop 13"
A pc 24"
A TV 60-80"
A wall projector 80-120"

Too bad no one has standardized these yet.

Last edited by ProDigit; 11-25-2015 at 09:57 AM.