Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Foreign book shall we read for November?
We, The Drowned by Carsten Jensen 3 20.00%
The Train by Georges Simenon 5 33.33%
Skylark by Deszö Kosztolányi 4 26.67%
How the Soldier Repairs the Gramophone by Saša Stanišić 1 6.67%
Inspector Imanishi Investigates by Seicho Matsumoto 6 40.00%
Memoirs of Hadrian by Margeurite Yourcenar 3 20.00%
Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami 8 53.33%
Resurrection by Wolf Haas 3 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2015, 02:00 PM   #16
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'm definitely not liking the current leader. I truly have zero desire to read it. So I've gone ahead and voted for The Train, and Inspector Imanishi. I can see reading either one, and even enjoying it. But no matter how worthy, I'm not interested in anything Kafka.
Do you mean you aren't interested in anything by Murakami? The Kafka of the title has nothing to do with the author Franz Kafka.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:50 PM   #17
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Sure it does. Even though it's not written by Franz Kafka, I hardly think the choice of title was an accident. But beyond that, I looked at the description and it's definitely not something I'm in a place I want to be reading right now. Maybe at some other point in my life, but not right now.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2015, 06:59 PM   #18
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Sure it does. Even though it's not written by Franz Kafka, I hardly think the choice of title was an accident. But beyond that, I looked at the description and it's definitely not something I'm in a place I want to be reading right now. Maybe at some other point in my life, but not right now.
Thanks I was just curious since I didn't find anything about a link to Franz Kafka in the (brief) searches I did. I thought that at first too and spent a little time looking. There may be one but it isn't clear to me that there is. One of the things I read made me think this was a translation issue, a name being anglicized in translation.

Maybe someone who has read it can chime in (or wait if it ends up being selected for the club.)

Also, I can certainly see Murakami not being for everyone too so wasn't sure if that was the reason.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:39 AM   #19
peterwardgd
Addict
peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura
Quote:
I think if you have any preconceptions about the book based on its title you might want to stay clear for a while as you will be forever looking for Kafka themes/references in the book.

I'm trying to think how to put across the without spoiling even 1% of the book but i cant so i wont. I will just say if you haven't read The Wind up Bird Chronicle its worth a read and it might wet your appetite enough to follow on to this book. That book itself isn't related to Kafka on the Shore at all (unless you count the cat references) but i got the same satisfaction (i was going to put vibe but that doesn't do it justice) from reading that book as i did from this one.

Probably doesn't help much sorry but i'd hate to think someone was missing out on an interesting read because of the title and a brief description and what it might (or might not imply.

Last edited by peterwardgd; 10-30-2015 at 09:31 AM.
peterwardgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:31 AM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The surrealistic tome Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami is our winner. Happy reading, everyone!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2015, 09:47 AM   #21
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'll pass this month. But see you again next month.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:43 AM   #22
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

November 2015 Book Club Vote

The cheapest audiobook route I've found in the States, assuming your local library doesn't have it, is Kindle plus narration. And that's not cheap. $11.99 for the ebook (price fixed by publisher) and add Audible narration ($9.99) and the grand total is $21.98—might as well say $22.00.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:25 PM   #23
peterwardgd
Addict
peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura
Hooray! some Murakami. I get to read it again even though i had Norwegian wood queued up to read (finally) but hey ho.
peterwardgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:42 PM   #24
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
So far I'm really enjoying it.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:44 PM   #25
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Me, too. Just finished the first 9 chapters.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:24 AM   #26
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Kafka on the Shore was my first and probably least favorite Murakami, but it still had a lot of redeeming qualities. It had a bit of an "everything and the kitchen sink" vibe akin to what little Tom Robbins I've read, but I never found much redeeming in Tom Robbins.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:35 AM   #27
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^Another Roadside Attraction is my favorite.

This will be Murakami number seven for me. I've read (in order of reading):

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
Sputnick Sweetheart
South of the Border, West of the Sun
After the Quake
Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

I've enjoyed all of them, especially Tazaki and Wonderland.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:29 PM   #28
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
The only Robbins I read to the end was Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas. I'd already read a few John Barth novels, and Robbins struck me as a somewhat forced (but apparently successful) attempt at a more accessible John Barth. Friends prevailed upon me to try something else by Robbins, so I started Another Roadside Attraction, but it seemed like more of the same: forced exoticness, try-hard absurdism, and next to zero sympathy for his characters. That last point is the clincher for me, and what I think distinguishes Murakami at his most absurd (Kafka on the Shore) from Robbins. To me it didn't seem like Robbins liked or had much faith in his characters or his readers.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:22 PM   #29
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
So far I'm really enjoying it.
I had initially thought I wouldn't vote for it because the blurb didn't entice me and I'd already read another book by him which I liked but didn't think was great. I changed my mind though once I read the (long) preview; I hope the rest of the book is as good.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:21 AM   #30
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

It's started, as Murakami novels do, to get weird. I like Murakami a lot. Probably for that weirdness.