Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-13-2015, 02:27 PM   #16
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I took it as meaning to extract the files/directories inside the .zip file into the same patch_kobo_3170 directory as the original 3.17.0 patches.

Ahhh... that's why there is no .bat file, the current one handles the sickel patch.
Sounds good... it never hurts to clarify!

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:20 PM   #17
grucha44
grucha44 doesn't littergrucha44 doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
GeoffR, could you check "all download in browser" - if I turn patch on the script gives data mismatch error
grucha44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #18
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by grucha44 View Post
GeoffR, could you check "all download in browser" - if I turn patch on the script gives data mismatch error
Sorry about that, I've fixed it and updated the attachment in post #1.

Here is the new `Allow download all in Browser` patch:
Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Allow download all in Browser`
patch_enable = `no`
replace_bytes = 78B42C, 7C F4 8A EF, 01 20 01 20
</Patch>

Last edited by GeoffR; 08-14-2015 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Fixed the patch again!
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #19
grucha44
grucha44 doesn't littergrucha44 doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Forgot to say Thank You - for all patches from day 1
grucha44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:01 AM   #20
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How does sickle work?

What it looks like to me is that sickle starts a 20-second timer when it is first run, and whenever it receives a ping it restarts the timer at 10 seconds. If sickle is suspended then after resuming it restarts the timer at 10 seconds. If the timer ever expires then sickle triggers a reboot.

If that is how it works then the patch I posted in post #13 should be completely safe, as it just increases those timer durations.
Advert
Old 08-14-2015, 07:13 AM   #21
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Not sure how you get 10 seconds. It still seems more like 5 to me.

If I force nickel to hang (-SIGSTOP) the device is dead after 7 seconds.

Code:
# pkill -SIGSTOP nickel ; while sleep 1 ; do echo -n . ; done;
.......Connection closed by foreign host.
(each dot represents 1 second - with a 10s timeout between pings there should be at least 10 dots?)

I will try it with your patch later.

Maybe it sends a ping every 10s but it does not wait 10s for reply? In that case sending a ping every 30s or even larger interval would not solve the issue entirely if nickel didn't happen to reply instantly when the ping was sent.

Yep, I don't really know how it works either. I just know that sickel is broken by design.

Last edited by frostschutz; 08-14-2015 at 07:16 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:24 AM   #22
fengcuo
fengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD & Glo
Dear GeoffR,

Could you check "Custom page refresh options"
there is a data mismatch error in line 349.

Thank you
fengcuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:31 AM   #23
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Not sure how you get 10 seconds. It still seems more like 5 to me.
I am just looking at the code, QTimer.start(10000) is called in two places and QTimer.start(20000) is called in one place.

If nickel is stopped 3 seconds after it sent its last ping then sickel's timer will expire 7 seconds later and it will reboot.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:35 AM   #24
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengcuo View Post
Dear GeoffR,

Could you check "Custom page refresh options"
there is a data mismatch error in line 349.

Thank you
It is working okay for me, I use this patch myself.

If you are using the second alternative, check that you have only commented out the three lines from the first alternative. The first replace_bytes line in the patch should not be changed regardless of which alternative you are using.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:52 AM   #25
fengcuo
fengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD & Glo
1)IN THE POST 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
It is working okay for me, I use this patch myself.

If you are using the second alternative, check that you have only commented out the three lines from the first alternative. The first replace_bytes line in the patch should not be changed regardless of which alternative you are using.
Thank you. it is working fine. It's my fault. I forgot to commente the lines from the first alternative.

2)IN THE POST 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Here is the new `Allow download all in Browser` patch:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Allow download all in Browser`
patch_enable = `no`
replace_bytes = 78B42C, 7C F4 8A E, 01 20 01 20
</Patch>
It seems that the `Allow download all in Browser` patch is still not working when i turn patch on. There is still a data mismatch error.

3)Is there any patch to custom(or reduce) the top margin (header) of the Kepubs.
The top margin (header) is too large in the kepubs.

Thank you~

Last edited by fengcuo; 08-14-2015 at 08:06 AM.
fengcuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:53 AM   #26
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Tried with your sickel patch, I get up to 29 dots = seconds until reboot. Sometimes it reboots after as little as 25 dots.

Also, things keep running if I wake nickel after 20 dots. So this patch seems to be working, for people who want longer timeouts than default.

Great work! I'll still leave it disabled entire for my system, though.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #27
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengcuo View Post
It seems that the `Allow download all in Browser` patch is still not working when i turn patch on. There is still a data mismatch error.
Apologies once again, I am sure I have fixed it now, I've updated the attachment to post #1 and edited post #18

Quote:
Is there any patch to custom(or reduce) the top margin (header) of the Kepubs.
I think the only options to affect the KePub header are:

1. Use the FullScreenReading=true feature setting to activate full-screen mode, which has no header or footer as such but the top and bottom margins adjust to match the side margins.

2. Use the showPageHeader=false reading setting to remove the title from the header. This still leaves a large gap at the top of the screen, but it is slightly smaller than with the title.

Here is a post about adding feature settings to the configuration file. Reading settings are the same but are added under the existing [Reading] section.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:59 PM   #28
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3, Voyage
I forgot to upgrade my h2o to 3.17 first, before trying to apply the patches. So I tried to apply the patched 3.17 firmware to a 3.15 device. Now it's stuck in the upgrading loop, showing the progress bar/dots moving across the screen, with the led on the top blinking.

Is there any way to fix this?

Edit: BTW I've been using these patches successfully for over a year. I thank Geoff very much for the hard work. This was the only time I forgot to upgrade first.

Edit2: I ended up pressing the reset pin. It restarted, then I got a screen saying "critical error, do you want to restore factory settings?" I hit the "yes" checkmark, and now it says it's restoring. I guess I'll assume it'll be alright from here.

Last edited by judith009; 08-14-2015 at 11:04 PM.
judith009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:06 AM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by judith009 View Post
Edit2: I ended up pressing the reset pin. It restarted, then I got a screen saying "critical error, do you want to restore factory settings?" I hit the "yes" checkmark, and now it says it's restoring. I guess I'll assume it'll be alright from here.
This may have been triggered by the counter for the number of times the device restarted and nickel did not start successfully. After 5 failures, you get the critical error message. I've found it more reliable than tapping the screen corners to trigger a hardware factory reset on those Kobo devices without a hardware home/light button.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:10 AM   #30
sage79
Enthusiast
sage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: kobo glo
patch_name = `Enforce user line spacing and justification in ePubs`
It gives me a error.
THanks
sage79 is offline   Reply With Quote