Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-24-2008, 11:15 PM   #16
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The paperback edition is 11141 pages.
Over eleven thousand pages? That is a long book.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:17 AM   #17
bakerjw
Enthusiast
bakerjw doesn't litterbakerjw doesn't litter

Device: none
I picked up the DVD of the Mist and realized that I had wasted my money. The story was great. Had the director have been true to the ending of the story and left the audience hanging it might have redeemed itself. From now on though, I will read the book.

The only Stephen King movie that was ever worthy of his books was the Stand. There was one minor deviation from the book. I rate it as one of the best novels ever. M-O-O-N, that spells peanut butter and jelly. Who can write characters like that.
bakerjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #18
steelreign
steelreign began at the beginning.

Device: kindle,PC
By far "The Stand" (all 1141 pages) is concidered Steven Kings all time masterpeice by many !! and my self im glad that (mr.Tripps) went back in the (80's)and added the (500 pages) that was cut from the original first printed version that he wrote in the (70's). Also others of his best work were "Carrie" and "IT" and who could forget.. "here's johnnnnny" The Shining" another one of my personal favorites. MOVIE WISE the Shawshank Redemption the Green mile, Christine and the Shining were all good books made into movies.

Last edited by steelreign; 07-25-2008 at 11:37 AM.
steelreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:29 AM   #19
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
The only Stephen King movie that was ever worthy of his books was the Stand.
I would respectfully disagree since I really liked 'Shawshank Redemption'.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:31 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Green Mile is said by some to be even better as a movie then a book. I've not yet read the book, but I loved the movie.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2008, 08:04 PM   #21
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Green Mile is said by some to be even better as a movie then a book. I've not yet read the book, but I loved the movie.
Actually it was "books". He released the story one chapter at a time. The "books" were better to me but I also loved the movie.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:30 PM   #22
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Actually it was "books". He released the story one chapter at a time. The "books" were better to me but I also loved the movie.

I remember when they first came out.....I was working at a used bookstore, and tghe demand was high....but they were so skinny!!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:57 PM   #23
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I read The Stand in 1994 after my son was born (never saw the movie, I'm almost always disappointed) and it still remains with me today. King writes the most vivid imagery that sticks and sticks. I've purchased the uncut edition but I'll only be able to read it a little at a time so I won't be inundated with nightmares.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:36 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I never read the cut edition so I don't know what was removed and then put back in. But I do know that even the slow parts were well done.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #25
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

More Stephen King coming. Get the widget.

http://www.omnivoracious.com/2008/07/stephen-king.html
Old 07-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #26
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"Included in his upcoming story collection, Just After Sunset, "N" concerns a shared obsession between a psychiatrist and one of his patients."

Hmmmmm.........sound like anyone on this board? Hmmmmm?
Old 08-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #27
teejer
teejer has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
I have been a huge King fan for many years, but I will politely disagree as to his best work. :-) While The Stand is indeed an incredible novel, and certainly in his top 4 or 5, I think From A Buick 8, Duma Key and Lisey's Story are the top 3 (in that order). In these three books be proves that he is the master story teller.

T. J.
teejer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:37 PM   #28
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejer View Post
I have been a huge King fan for many years, but I will politely disagree as to his best work. :-) While The Stand is indeed an incredible novel, and certainly in his top 4 or 5, I think From A Buick 8, Duma Key and Lisey's Story are the top 3 (in that order). In these three books be proves that he is the master story teller.

T. J.
I don't think anyone said it was his best work, many of us were saying it was our "personal" favorite. The 3 you mention are definitely very good but not in my personal top 5. I would choose Hearts in Atlantis, The Talisman & Black House, The Shining and the Black Tower series before the books you've mentioned. One of his novellas The Long Walk (a Bachman story I think) still comes to my mind frequently. In fact, I need to find that and re-read it.

I could never read Gerald's Game, it started out to intense for me and I've never picked it back up again. And I didn't care so much for The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon or The Colorado Kid.

That's the cool thing about King, he has something for just about everyone!

Last edited by daffy4u; 08-02-2008 at 07:43 PM. Reason: corrected a title
Old 08-02-2008, 07:52 PM   #29
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejer View Post

T. J.

I may have said that in another thread. I revise that statement to read that its his best work, in my humble opinion. And I also politely disagree with your choices of his best...I think "The Stand", "NightShift", and "'Salems Lot" are his best....Nightshift has some outstanding short storys that have stayed with me since I read them. "'Salems Lot" was just plain scary......thanks to his character developement. I haven't care for much of his recent work. Isn't it interesting how everyone has their favorites? And the reasons why?
Old 08-02-2008, 08:10 PM   #30
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I may have said that in another thread. I revise that statement to read that its his best work, in my humble opinion. And I also politely disagree with your choices of his best...I think "The Stand", "NightShift", and "'Salems Lot" are his best....Nightshift has some outstanding short storys that have stayed with me since I read them. "'Salems Lot" was just plain scary......thanks to his character developement. I haven't care for much of his recent work. Isn't it interesting how everyone has their favorites? And the reasons why?
Eh .... I liked "Salem's Lot" up until there were a bunch of medical and scientific errors that just ruined it for me. I think my favorite was probably "The Shining" ... that one was damn good.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote