Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #16
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
@PeterT: Ohhhhhhhh. COOL! Thanks!

@eschwartz:

But the real question is, did we help the OP?
Umm, no.
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #17
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The appropriate way is I believe to use a
Code:
<h1>Header<br/><span class="subhead">Subhead</span></h1>
This has the effect of semantically keeping a subhead part of the structural header
Yes, but the subhead is then at the wrong level in the structure. The correct structure is
Code:
<h1>heading</h1>
<h2>Subhead</h2>
<p>Content</p>
which is what I have. I then try to use CSS to give it the correct appearance, but the conversion tool screws it up. I absolutely refuse to alter the structure of the document in order to correct its appearance. YMMV, but that's the way I like to do things.
Advert
Old 05-09-2015, 01:08 PM   #18
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
... The correct structure is
Code:
<h1>heading</h1>
<h2>Subhead</h2>
<p>Content</p>
which is what I have. I then try to use CSS to give it the correct appearance, but the conversion tool screws it up. I absolutely refuse to alter the structure of the document in order to correct its appearance. YMMV, but that's the way I like to do things.
Hmmm ... I use the same structure as you do, and my <h2> subheads do not trigger a pagebreak.

As far as I can tell, the only thing different about your code and mine is I don't use page-break-before in my CSS for <h1> (or <h2>).

Have you deleted all H2 references in the Structure Detection settings as theducks suggested? My Structure Detection settings have no H2 references.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #19
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Since you've already changed the "inert Page Breaks', the only option that would be adding unwanted page breaks is the Chapter mark at automatic Chapter detection. Changing that to none should correct the problem.
Thank you, that seems to do the trick without my having to restructure the document.

Just to be on the safe side, I'm now putting "page-break-before: always" at the <body> level rather than <h1>, so each file comes out on a new page, but I'm not sure if that's necessary; it seems to happen anyway, but the whole pagination thing baffles me a bit.

Interestingly, experiments show that it only seems to happen when there is an introductory para between the <h1> and <h2>. I have no idea why!
Old 05-09-2015, 01:48 PM   #20
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Now here's a mystery; I changed the settings in the Prefs dialog. In the Prefs dialog it says "chapter mark: none" but when I go to convert a book and check the settings before I start the conversion, it says "chapter mark: pagebreak". The "Insert Page Breaks Before" option which I changed to "/" under Prefs comes out correctly.

I tried restarting Calibre but it made no difference. I seem to have to change the "chapter mark" setting manually on every conversion...
Advert
Old 05-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Now here's a mystery; I changed the settings in the Prefs dialog. In the Prefs dialog it says "chapter mark: none" but when I go to convert a book and check the settings before I start the conversion, it says "chapter mark: pagebreak". The "Insert Page Breaks Before" option which I changed to "/" under Prefs comes out correctly.

I tried restarting Calibre but it made no difference. I seem to have to change the "chapter mark" setting manually on every conversion...
Because Calibre remembers the prior USED setting PER BOOK

Click the Restore (current) Defaults button at the bottom or remove the tick (in bulk mode) at the top
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:37 PM   #22
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Yes, but the subhead is then at the wrong level in the structure. The correct structure is
Code:
<h1>heading</h1>
<h2>Subhead</h2>
<p>Content</p>
My whole point is, that if you are creating a Chapter header that appears on two lines, the semantic structure is of one entity.... and thus you should not be structuring it as two entities.

I am not recommending you "alter the structure", I am recommending you "fix the structure".

Assuming I have understood you correctly, you are doing something like:

Quote:

Chapter 1
The Boy Who Lived

Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much. They were the last people you’d expect to be involved in anything strange or mysterious, because they just didn’t hold with such nonsense.
Why should the fact that the chapter name is bumped to line 2 cause it to magically become structurally exclusive of the chapter number?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:08 AM   #23
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I am not recommending you "alter the structure", I am recommending you "fix the structure".

Assuming I have understood you correctly, you are doing something like:

Why should the fact that the chapter name is bumped to line 2 cause it to magically become structurally exclusive of the chapter number?
You have understood me wrong, then. I do not have chapter number/chapter name. As I said before (several times), I have heading/subheading:
Code:
<h1>Chapter 5: Defining new data types</h1>
<p>In this chapter we will look at...</p>
<h2>5.1 Standard data types</h2>
<p>Blah blah blah</h2>
What I do NOT want is section 5.1 bumped onto a new page because some tool decides that's the "right way to do it" and in contradiction to my explicit CSS instructions to that effect; I want to be an "old school, baby!" type, as theducks put it earlier, who uses <h> tags to indicate structural information rather than flattening the structure into a formless sea of <p>s.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:18 AM   #24
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
... into a formless sea of <p>s.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:21 AM   #25
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Because Calibre remembers the prior USED setting PER BOOK

Click the Restore (current) Defaults button at the bottom or remove the tick (in bulk mode) at the top
Ah, thanks. So to make my settings take effect permanently, what I did was "convert EPUB to EPUB" for my entire library, remove the tick in bulk mode, and then when it asks do I want to reconvert EPUB to EPUB, say "no". Voila, the settings are now recorded. Kind of non-obvious, but oh well!
Old 05-10-2015, 02:37 AM   #26
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
nevermind

Last edited by odamizu; 05-15-2015 at 12:04 AM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #27
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah, thanks. So to make my settings take effect permanently, what I did was "convert EPUB to EPUB" for my entire library, remove the tick in bulk mode, and then when it asks do I want to reconvert EPUB to EPUB, say "no". Voila, the settings are now recorded. Kind of non-obvious, but oh well!
But logical \ The master defaults can change/evolve (I sure don't use the settings I did in 2009)

You can override (the defaults) of any single book conversion at the conversion screen. It remembers what you used THEN and there.
'restore (clear those saved) makes it forget and pull a fresh 'default'
Old 05-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #28
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
You have understood me wrong, then. I do not have chapter number/chapter name. As I said before (several times), I have heading/subheading:
Code:
<h1>Chapter 5: Defining new data types</h1>
<p>In this chapter we will look at...</p>
<h2>5.1 Standard data types</h2>
<p>Blah blah blah</h2>
Then I apologize for the misunderstanding.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:50 PM   #29
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Why not work with the way things work and use H2 and H3
IIRC Calibre does not normally split at H3

Use the stylesheet to give H2 and H3 the desired look

Tags
page breaks