Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-07-2015, 01:18 PM   #16
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Exactly.

Does the Telegraph always just regurgitate everything it is fed without adding any perspective or critical thinking?
As long as they verified the accuracy of what they're fed, I'd settle for that in a new source.
If my only choices are dry regurgitation of facts, or sensationalized advocacy journalism, I'll take the regurgitation.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:39 PM   #17
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
As long as they verified the accuracy of what they're fed, I'd settle for that in a new source.
If my only choices are dry regurgitation of facts, or sensationalized advocacy journalism, I'll take the regurgitation.
In this case, it is regurgitation of sensationalism.

I will also take unembellished aggregation of facts, but reduced kindle sales at a bookstore does not imply reduced kindle sales overall.

Kindle sales are probably past their peak, but that does not imply reduced e-book sales. You don't need to keep buying new readers to keep buying new books.

None of this even considers the huge growth in phones and tablets, each of which work well for some for reading e-books.

The article pretty much states that e-books are passe. I call BS.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2015, 01:42 PM   #18
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Why should they be any different than the rest of big media?
Fine.

Why should I care that their continued existence is in peril? (Not implying that you think I should.)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:56 PM   #19
morituri
Enthusiast
morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6, iPad Air, Kindle PW2, Kindle HD
I was in London over the Xmas break. I went to a few Waterstones; none of them displayed the Kindle in a prominent way. I was looking for a Voyage but didn't find any.
morituri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:01 PM   #20
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by morituri View Post
I was in London over the Xmas break. I went to a few Waterstones; none of them displayed the Kindle in a prominent way. I was looking for a Voyage but didn't find any.
I heard the same thing from a local at another site.

The report was that when they first signed the deals, the Kindles were front and center near the entrance but that after the recent "hyperlocal" revamps, where local store managers had more input in book ordering and display, the Kindles had been moved mostly out of sight.

Sounds simple enough: hide the Kindles and put local interest books upfront and pbooks will sell and Kindles won't. Doesn't mean people looking for kindles didn't go buy them elsewhere, though. Just that Waterstones won't get kickbacks off the ebooks those people buy.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2015, 05:40 PM   #21
pegasi&prefects
Eleanor Beresford
pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Seriously, how many Kindles do you need? While each paperback book is distinct... says the girl with five copies of The Lord of The Rings and six of Jane Eyre before I did a massive charity books donation.

Also, eInk readers, while I love my PW and Kobo, are mostly for the hardcore enthusiasts these days. They are the most pleasant way to read, and the easiest on the eyes IMO, but in practice, I read more on my phone, Android tablet and iPad, because I tend to have at least one of them with me anyway.

I am as tired of the deathknell of ebooks as of the deathknell of print. Co existence, yo.
pegasi&prefects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:45 PM   #22
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasi&prefects View Post
Seriously, how many Kindles do you need?
Apparently I need 4.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:28 PM   #23
GA Russell
Bombers last loss July 27
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Last month I read an article in the paper, maybe the Wall St. Journal, in which the lady columnist said that for the first time ever, the new Kindle model is not the best Kindle available. (Her opinion, of course.)

I have to think that not many Kindles need to be replaced each year, so maybe a decline in Kindle sales this year merely reflected a lack of need among folks who read eBooks to buy a new one.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:07 PM   #24
Red Falcon
Addict
Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I think the reason sales are down is two-fold.When the Kindle was first released in 2007 the smartphone was not yet a mainstream success and tablets did not really take off into the first I-Pad in 2010.Once these devices became widely available most people went with them instead of an e-reader.And second most users who bought e-readers either keep there device a long time or when they die just stick with there phones\tablets instead of buying a new e-reader.The e-reader as I see it is a niche device that is most suited to the type of person who is a dedicated readers.

Last edited by Red Falcon; 01-07-2015 at 09:10 PM.
Red Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:44 PM   #25
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Falcon View Post
I think the reason sales are down is two-fold.When the Kindle was first released in 2007 the smartphone was not yet a mainstream success and tablets did not really take off into the first I-Pad in 2010.Once these devices became widely available most people went with them instead of an e-reader.And second most users who bought e-readers either keep there device a long time or when they die just stick with there phones\tablets instead of buying a new e-reader.The e-reader as I see it is a niche device that is most suited to the type of person who is a dedicated readers.
Electronic Ink is also the best solution for people who spend a lot of time reading outdoors. Mass transit commuters and military come to mind.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #26
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
In this case, it is regurgitation of sensationalism.
I can't quite see sensationalism in such a bloodless and sexless story , but I guess it would be in a book-centric world.

And I do think leebase's point in #14 about Amazon numbers being secret is a good one. Plus, I vaguely remembered, and just found on the web, this twelve-year-old slam from longtime Washington Post editor Robert Kaiser*:

Quote:
The Post does not print other papers' uncheckable "exclusive" stories. And I can tell you that there have been dozens of bad--that is, wrong--ones over recent months. The Telegraph, Daily and Sunday, has not earned our respect for accuracy or careful reporting.
I have no need to be on the winning team when it comes to print vs. eBook. And I suppose there will be years when the long term trend against paper is temporarily reversed. However, the article misses that paper, as a reading device, can't much improve, while there still is a lot of room for eReader technology improvement -- especially when it comes to price.

When eInk-type readers are sold in Poundland, Waterstone's outlook may become less sanguine. How long that will take, I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Last month I read an article in the paper, maybe the Wall St. Journal, in which the lady columnist said that for the first time ever, the new Kindle model is not the best Kindle available.
Because their customer base tends to have smartphones, Amazon no longer needs to include as many Kindle features. For this reason, all the eInk models since the Kindle Keyboard are less useful than those which came before. A general text reading device, and music player, and seamless worldwide no-monthly-free email and news machine, has degenerated into one optimized for books alone. And the price hasn't gone down nearly enough to compensate.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 01-07-2015 at 10:11 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:12 AM   #27
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasi&prefects View Post
Seriously, how many Kindles do you need?
At least one more...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:55 AM   #28
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
The "people buy their Kindles from Amazon" also doesn't hold water. Watersons USED to sell a lot of kindles...now they sell almost none even though they are still offered. That speaks SOME to the fate of eInk readers.
Where do you get that fact from? I don't think there has ever been any suggestion that Kindle's were a big seller for Waterstones, for all the reasons already mentioned in the thread I'd bet their sales have always been pretty minimal.

So its a complete non-story. Just like the one about using ereaders damage your eyes, when they were actually talking about using tablets with the light way up high in a dark room.

The 'news' that ereader sales have reached their peak and are now falling, or that physical books are still a huge part of the market. Well, is that news to anyone, really?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:25 AM   #29
dublincheri
Zealot
dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, new Basic 2022
Two Kindles is my current supply, though I think my PW1 will be gifted or sold soon enough. I tend to read on the Voyage almost exclusively unless I'm somewhere with only my phone to hand. My current Kindles have both come from Amazon (my first was from Tesco).

If I set foot in Waterstones it's usually to buy a gift for someone which means physical book.
dublincheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:43 AM   #30
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
So its a complete non-story. Just like the one about using ereaders damage your eyes, when they were actually talking about using tablets with the light way up high in a dark room.
...and that study showed no 'eye damage', but slightly delayed sleep onset & decreased REM sleep (each by about ten minutes).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote