Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-06-2014, 09:56 PM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Really?

This sounds like the kind of thing best read when under the influence of psychedelics.

Whisper when you say that!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #17
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Whisper when you say that!
{Oops, sorry!}
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #18
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Lol. I really enjoyed Murakami's short stories from After the Quake. What I like about his short stories as opposed to someone like Kenzburo Oe is that Oe's stories tend to be very similar and they require time in between each story with something else for me to really appreciate them. Murakami's have a great diversity.

I'm not sure I think Murakami is Nobel-worthy. I love his writing, but it doesn't strike me as typical of Nobel winners.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #19
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Here are the odds at Ladbrokes. Ngugi Wa Thiong'o is in the lead at the moment at 7/2, followed by Murakami at 9/2 and Svetlana Aleksijevitj (never heard of her) at 6/1.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #20
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Svetlana Aleksijevitj (never heard of her)
I've read one of her books years ago, I think it was called Zinc Boys or something along those lines, and with her name as Svetlana Alexievich (I guess easier for us written that way!). It was rather interesting but she hasn't written much AFAIK (or possibly not much has been translated, I don't know).

Last edited by Yolina; 10-07-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #21
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
I'm pretty sure I'm still in the running. <fingers crossed!>
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #22
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's interesting that someone most known as a journalist is up for literature, but then nominees aren't only decided by the Nobel panel from what I know.

From the Nobel site:
Qualified Nominators

The right to submit proposals for the award of a Nobel Prize in Literature shall, by statute, be enjoyed by:
1. Members of the Swedish Academy and of other academies, institutions and societies which are similar to it in construction and purpose;
2. Professors of literature and of linguistics at universities and university colleges;
3. Previous Nobel Laureates in Literature;
4. Presidents of those societies of authors that are representative of the literary production in their respective countries."

I learned about the process which is cool.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #23
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would say in about 5-7 years + one 'Big Book' later, that Javier Marias will win.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:04 AM   #24
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Patrick Modiano

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #25
bloodlover
Enthusiast
bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Yeah... another year without Murakami. Is this is a trend of offering the Nobel to people that write short stories? Alice Munro also falls into this category.
bloodlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:35 AM   #26
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

I see nothing from Amazon showing that anything is available for a Kindle.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:41 AM   #27
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've read a few of his books in French (don't know what has been translated into English - I suspect not many - maybe there will be a flurry of translations coming soon now) and I wouldn't call them short stories as such. They're certainly not large books but the ones I've read were anything between 150 and 300 pages.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #28
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I'm secretly glad that Murakami didn't win because when a Japanese wins a Nobel Prize it's the only thing Japanese TV here talks about for days and weeks on end.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #29
Yolina
Wizard

I guess Japanese TV is possibly busy with Vongfong at the moment? I hope it's not too bad and that we do have the 6h WEC race at Fuji on Sunday, t'was no fun being up at stupid o'clock last year only to watch 6 hours of red flag...

Oh and I like Murakami too
Old 10-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #30
BookAdmin
Enthusiast
BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Patrick Modiano is not very popular outside France, but he wrote very interesting books like "Missing Person" (Rue des Boutiques Obscures in French). He won french literary prize "Goncourt" for this book. I do not know how the Nobel Prize selection board head about him but I'm happy for the French literature (sorry for my bad english by the way).
BookAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote