Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 09-06-2014, 07:52 AM   #16
Cacho
Cacho began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Thanks Brynet, followed all yours instructions ...still Arctic didn't work. Just to confirm, did you download the apk from de XDA link? I tried with SuperSu and other alternatives..

Tried Towelroot but doesn't work either.
Cacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #17
TCB911
TCB911 began at the beginning.

Hello, long time no see as well!
I just did the sys update and no problems at all.
TCB911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #18
brynet
brynet began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacho View Post
Thanks Brynet, followed all yours instructions ...still Arctic didn't work. Just to confirm, did you download the apk from de XDA link? I tried with SuperSu and other alternatives..

Tried Towelroot but doesn't work either.
Well, I'm running the update. I'm using the .apk posted here on Mobileread by the author last year.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218928

Download Arctic.apk, install Arctic.apk.. answer affirmatively to any install messages. There will be a final message saying to wait a little bit and manually reboot your tablet.

Worked for me. Settings->About tablet shows I'm on build JRO03L.781 and the kernel was recompiled on "Mon Jun 23 17:50:21 EDT 2014".

Last edited by brynet; 09-06-2014 at 08:17 PM.
brynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:44 PM   #19
Cacho

Thanks Brynet, I do have exactly the same version as you indicated, I have tried again with no luck . Did you installed SuperSu before running arctic? How long did you wait after you get the arctic message before you reboot? I have waited 2 min but it not working, It is weird because I did previously rooted on the previous version of the ROM without any issues.

Thanks again Brynet.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:00 AM   #20
brynet
brynet began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacho View Post
Thanks Brynet, I do have exactly the same version as you indicated, I have tried again with no luck . Did you installed SuperSu before running arctic? How long did you wait after you get the arctic message before you reboot? I have waited 2 min but it not working, It is weird because I did previously rooted on the previous version of the ROM without any issues.

Thanks again Brynet.
Yes, it was previously rooted and had SuperSU installed. After the firmware update it could no longer find the su binary and would force close.

I only have one tablet so it's hard to reproduce success, but I didn't wait nearly 2 minutes.. it only needs some time to execute a few shell commands.

After running Arctic.apk and rebooting, re-install SuperSU from the Google Play Store.. it should prompt saying the su binary needs updating, just follow the normal procedure.

I did convert SuperSU to a system app on the older firmware, maybe that allowed the install to complete.
brynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #21
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
Having SU as a system app probably saved you. This lost my root and so far all exploits see to be closed.
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #22
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

sorted
Old 09-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #23
Cacho

I guess you are right, SU as system app is the key for the root to survive the OTA, do you thing is it possible to reinstall the original ROM then get root and the update again? I have deleted several kobo specific system apps and I am afraid to brick it...
Old 09-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #24
Cacho

Hi Stevov, did you figure out how to do it?
Old 09-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #25
stevov
Groupie

Cydia Impactor.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:04 AM   #26
Cacho

Great! It worked! , thanks Brynet and Stevov
Old 09-08-2014, 01:33 AM   #27
stevov
Groupie

Glad to hear it.

Tags
android update