Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-25-2014, 07:20 AM   #16
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSun View Post
This is just a plain nasty thing to say and to do. This person could be a freshman, this could be their first research project, and you're being a truly dreadful excuse for a human being. Way to go. Really, good job, captain internet. Do you feel better about yourself now that you've been a total prat to a kid trying to get a good grade?
If you believe that MD123 is actually a hardworking student, then your comment "might" apply.

But considering that we get these one-shot wonder drive-by postings by supposed "students" several times a year and they are always the same, ie, one post, one shoddy survey, lack of knowledge on the subject [as shown in the shoddy survey], then I call them spammers.

And besides, if a student puts out this kind of work for their survey, they deserve to fail.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #17
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
I didn't complete it as it had a more commercial than academic ring to it.
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #18
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
Ditto.
ditto .......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #19
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
done it
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #20
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Hmm... the 'how often do you read ebooks' question is totally arbitrary and this option is excessively odd: Not at all often, I prefer hardback books

Why are -hardbacks- specified? Maybe its a translation thing... maybe.

I'm joining Ravensknight's camp. Bogus survey.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2014, 06:41 PM   #21
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I get a little cynical too. I can see this kind of survey being used as a
"There is definite interest in interactive ebooks" bullet point on some publisher's powerpoint presentation.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
I get a little cynical too. I can see this kind of survey being used as a
"There is definite interest in interactive ebooks" bullet point on some publisher's powerpoint presentation.
I voted against interactive books. I prefer straight text.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:51 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aer View Post
*Gives you a grapefruit*

It's all I have.
Grapefruit works; but since I'm a sophisticated monkey, I have to have a sterling silver grapefruit spoon to eat it with. None of that cheap stainless stuff for me.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:50 AM   #24
Heim
Zealot
Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Grapefruit works; but since I'm a sophisticated monkey, I have to have a sterling silver grapefruit spoon to eat it with. None of that cheap stainless stuff for me.
(I did not know there existed something like a dedicated grapefruit spoon )

Oh and I also voted against interactive books. I actually think interactive books are great as educational tools. But for a novel all I need is the author's words.
Heim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:19 AM   #25
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aer View Post
Oh and I also voted against interactive books. I actually think interactive books are great as educational tools. But for a novel all I need is the author's words.
Same.

I think interactive features might have their place in educational and other non-fiction books - maybe a couple of video clips in a biography or history book, that kind of thing.

For fiction/novels, NO. I don't need someone telling me what sounds or landscapes to imagine when I'm immersed in a fictional world. At the most, if it's a novel taking place in a real location, some links in the end or in footnotes to a website with that extra material - links or footnotes that can be easily ignored if one prefers and that will still allow the book to be read on dedicated eInk readers, not needing a tablet or computer, which "interactive material" invariably will require.

Anything else, anything that will make it hard to impossible to read the book on an eInk reader or that is distracting or difficult to ignore ... no.

If I want a TV show instead of a book, I'll watch a TV show.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:59 AM   #26
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I took your survey, but I didn't think your list of genres was complete. Crime/Thrillers is not the same as Mystery, which is a large proportion of the books that I read.
They can probably be lumped together as "suspense", but I agree, crime, thriller, mystery, caper, etc. are all distinct sub-genres, and being into political thrillers, for example, doesn't really mean a reader will enjoy British mysteries.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:08 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I always find it curious that "crime and mystery" are so often lumped together - they are distinct genres, albeit with some overlap. Not all mysteries involve crime, and not all crimes are mysterious.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:15 AM   #28
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Have you ever read a crime book where the crime wasn't mysterious in some way?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:54 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Have you ever read a crime book where the crime wasn't mysterious in some way?
Yes. The "Inverted Detective Story" (aka the "Columbo"-type story), where the reader has complete knowledge of the crime from the start. Invented by R. Austin Freeman. The crime in such a book is a mystery to the detective, but not to the reader.

You're absolutely right in saying that the overwhelming majority of crime novels involve a mystery, but the inverse isn't true; there are numerous books which involve a mystery which is not a crime.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-26-2014 at 08:57 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:01 AM   #30
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I'm sure you've posted this survey before. The wording of the post which begins the thread is almost the same too. Maybe I'm misremembering, but it was about a year ago, and you asked people to take part in a survey for a uni project, just as you are now.

Anyone else remember this?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook reader, ebook research, ebook survey, research