Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-09-2015, 08:06 AM   #16
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Shiny sells, I miss the matte screen of my old Samsung netbook but I can remember it did make things a teensy bit blurry and not as sharp.

With tablets which are competing in things like PPI counts I'm not really too suprised theres no matte screened ones, although it's also surprising that nobody has brought one out for the niche market.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:38 AM   #17
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobodude View Post
Hi,

has anyone got any updated info concerning this topic, I've googled around, but not easy to find good info, i.e for matte screened tablets (that I would like to use as 2nd monitor ...)

Another point: has anyone tried out matte screen protectors? how are they?

cheers !
I use matte screen protectors on all my devices, but it can be difficult to find ones that are really non reflective and fingerprint resistant. I like this brand the best - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L3OV7A4
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #18
bobodude
Connoisseur
bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BooX M96
Thanks for the tip, purple lady !!

I'm actually thinking of using it as a 2nd monitor for a laptop,

and am currently looking at portable usb monitors (as i don't really need the tablet functionality, and don't really like tablets anyway ...), which look quite cool, and pretty cheap (less than 200 USD),

I'm thinking of getting this one: ASUS MB168B

anybody tried these external/portable usb monitors? (didn't know they existed ...)

cheers
bobodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:50 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Power consumption is about 5W (1A from USB would need 2 ports) and that is going to suck run time. If you need full portable, try and find one with a Battery or power adapter.
Use a Juice box on the power only USB connection and Isolate the +5 lead ONLY on the main USB to prevent back feed issues

I use a USB dongle (aluratek) with a old LCD Monitor (the monitor has its own power) with good results for up to low res video
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:06 AM   #20
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Apple brought in the shiny mirror finish on computer monitors. They should've called it the iStrain.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2015, 04:06 AM   #21
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It's all about video.
Glossy LCD screens are a relatively recent development. They took over because the colors are more vivid (pop) and it's cheaper to get accurate color for video. And since video is tablets' calling card...
I've seen marketing that says that glossy screens look nicer when turned OFF.

I personally think glossy screens are idiotic. The extreme light reflection makes them unusable in every situation but a dark room. I refuse to buy a laptop with a glossy screen, or a glossy computer monitor.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:16 AM   #22
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
And that's why I have a non-glossy monitor, a non-glossy laptop and a nice and very large (and absolutely not thin!) Microsoft Natural Keyboard...

I never follow the current flavour of the month
Indeed. I have a non-glossy 24-inch Eizo monitor mounted on a segmented Ergotron monitor arm, a 5 pound mechanical keyboard, and a non-glossy business notebook. I also have a (small) office/business laser printer.

Those things cost more than the normal consumer stuff, but they work very well, for years and years on end, with >= 5 years official support and/or warranty. I use that stuff until it either breaks beyond repair (the printer, keyboard and monitor arm), or starts falling short of the tasks required of it (the monitor and computer).

Thus, I often use hardware for upward of 6 years instead of the 2-3 years I often see with people who buy the cheap(er) consumer stuff, and I have far less problems and irritations.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:02 AM   #23
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I'd give a lot to have a replacement for my Fujitsu Stylistic ST-4121's daylight-viewable transflective display.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote