Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 09-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #16
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacty View Post
just throw away all those blue, red, green and such backgrounds
Tacty, you should realize that those interface themes (if that's what you're talking about) are primarily useful for us Marvin fans as a way to thank Kris for his astounding work. (See here.) I have purchased (separately!) each and every one of those colours, even though I don't need or use them. The red default is just fine with me, although I would prefer a darker shade of red. $5 is a laughable price-tag considering the quality Marvin brings, and the iPad version is completely free, which almost strikes me as obscene. (If this was Mac or Windows software, you'd be looking at a price tag of dozens of dollars.)

If you mean reduction of the current palette of available solid-colour background colours, that's nonsense, of course. The incredible wealth of colours with poetic names available there (as font colours, too!) is one of Marvin's most delightful features, and must stay just the way it is now (unless it were expanded even further).

Last edited by Faterson; 09-14-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #17
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Quote:
i'm not a developer but it looks like 1-2-3 job...
I promise you it is not.

There are over 120 feature requests logged in and I'm doing my best to prioritise and deal with each and every one of them.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #18
Kretzer
out of depth
Kretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad2, iPhone 5, Kindle3 3G
Quote:
peace of cake...just throw away all those blue, red, green and such backgrounds ( i think you'll be hard pressed to find ANYONE who is using those weird colors for reading background), put instead some textures and you re all set i'm not a developer but it looks like 1-2-3 job...
Hey, I love reading on green background and I am definitely someone!

On the other hand I could't care less for textured backgrounds, they would be below zero on my priority list. While I think it's cool that Marvin offers so many choices there must be more pressing issues on that list.

As for "1-2-3 job" - obviously you have no idea how this works soyou can't know ... if you are under 12 such remarks will be kindly forgiven ...
Kretzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #19
Kretzer
out of depth
Kretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad2, iPhone 5, Kindle3 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
If something deserves bashing, in my opinion, it's the new iOS 7 design. Yes, many people enjoy those pastel-coloured bubbles, but I don't. I won't be upgrading to iOS 7 on any of my iDevices next week, because there seem to be no really important new features in iOS 7, and I find the published screenshots of iOS 7 (ugly app icons on the home screen, too!) sufficiently hideous to make me want to stay away from iOS 7. If I get introduced to iOS 7 by buying a new iDevice and iOS 7 wins me over that way, fine... but I won't be going there voluntarily.
Now for once I'd have to agree with Mr Faterson, but here this is definitely

Quote:
If you mean reduction of the current palette of available solid-colour background colours, that's nonsense, of course. The incredible wealth of colours with poetic names available there (as font colours, too!) is one of Marvin's most delightful features, and must stay just the way it is now (unless it were expanded even further).
The above statement, of course, is a declaration of absolute truth and by no means a personal opinion ... still I would humbly agree with the thread starter that a colour picker would be more flexible and take up less space. Even if all those names are nice, the list does feel very long when scrolling through.
Kretzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #20
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lightbulb

I'll give you that, Herr Kretzer, and I suggested myself, many months ago in that awful mega-thread, that it would be nice to see that plethora of colours organized in subcategories, such as:
  • Yellows
  • Greens
  • Blues
  • Reds
I think I'll go ahead and post that suggestion to GitHub. (I do walk the talk, ProfCrash.)
Advert
Old 09-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #21
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
peace of cake...just throw away all those blue, red, green and such backgrounds ( i think you'll be hard pressed to find ANYONE who is using those weird colors for reading background), put instead some textures and you re all set i'm not a developer but it looks like 1-2-3 job...

you know if something is waiting 6 months on your priority list it sounds like "don't call us we'll call you"
Hey! , what?

I like my hot pink background.

Bite your tongue!!!!!

(You too, Alex)

Art
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #22
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
There must be dozens of colors available for both fore/background. You can't find ONE that you like?

Really......

Art
No, only one that I have reluctantly accepted. I still want to choose my own colors from the full set my iPad is capable of & I don't care about its name which I won't remember anyway. Unfortunately for me I remember numbers much easier than names.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #23
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

I do agree that in the absence of a full palette of colours, there might perhaps be a custom field at the bottom of the colours list, where users like Slayda might at least enter the hexadecimal code of their favourite colour, like #990000 (which happens to be my favourite shade of red), thus manually adding that colour to the list. Users might add any number of "manual" colours to the list in this way, also assigning names to them if they wished.

Or, of course, if that custom field at the bottom were tapped, the entire colours palette might pop up, so that by tapping with the finger, users could add a new colour to the list without having to enter its hexadecimal code manually.

What I don't think would be appropriate would be to scrap the current list of colours, replacing it with the palette only. That would really be too bad, and destroy an important component of Marvin's current elegance for me.