Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #16
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Page skipping sounds like a "bouncing" switch contact. That's a hardware issue, and I'd suggest contacting Kindle CS to get a replacement.
I did try to reset the Kindle 4. And I did try both forward buttons (the button for lefties aren't used that much before) so I don't think it's a hardware issue (what are the chances that both buttons (even the much less used one) are having both the same hardware problem?).
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #17
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
I did try to reset the Kindle 4. And I did try both forward buttons (the button for lefties aren't used that much before) so I don't think it's a hardware issue (what are the chances that both buttons (even the much less used one) are having both the same hardware problem?).
What did you install on it that may have caused this problem? Hacks and custom modifications are NOT removed by a factory reset.

You could try the "simple debricking" method to set it back to TRUE (fresh-out-of-the-box) factory conditions. That will get rid of all changes you may have made to it. It will also let you step back to previous firmware versions.

After doing that, does it work now?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Personally I think the reason they moved the WLAN/mobile on/off option to the settings is that Amazon want to track your movements (most people will be too lazy to switch in 'offline mode' through several steps).
Amazon kitteh iz trakin' yur evry moves

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #19
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
Really?

Time to break out the tin foil hat
All the newer Kindles do have a GPS units included. You may remember privacy problems in mobile apps where the apps sent more information than needed. Some apps even sent addresses from your address book.

So why do you need a GPS unit in an e-book reader anyway? What value does it get you while reading a book?

I think your answer should be more objective to be worth discussing.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #20
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
All the newer Kindles do have a GPS units included.
The eink kindles do NOT have GPS. Some 3G modems allow location tracking, either with onboard GPS or with cell tower triangulation. It is possible for a wifi-only device to use Google location services that can fairly accurately locate you from the information leakage from wifi routers in your neighborhood (which they gather while photographing streets for the google maps street view). But there is no evidence that amazon uses that google service. The best they can do without installing any extra software on your kindle is to do IP geolocation on your IP address when you connect to a wifi hotspot.

EDIT: Even though android devices normally have GPS, even the android-based Kindle Fire does NOT have a GPS. However, you can use other wifi-based location services using an app like this:
http://gigaom.com/mobile/kindle-fire...without-a-gps/

You could wrap a tin-foil hat around your kindle like the kitty in the photo, but to prevent any information leakage, you need the foil wrapping to also cover the eink screen.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-07-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Advert
Old 08-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #21
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
All the newer Kindles do have a GPS units included. You may remember privacy problems in mobile apps where the apps sent more information than needed. Some apps even sent addresses from your address book.

So why do you need a GPS unit in an e-book reader anyway? What value does it get you while reading a book?

Huh??? No, they do not.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Amazon kitteh iz trakin' yur evry moves

LMAO!!!!
Old 08-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #23
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You could wrap a tin-foil hat around your kindle like the kitty in the photo, but to prevent any information leakage, you need the foil wrapping to also cover the eink screen.
LOL! I think the OP might already be living inside a Faraday cage so-to-speak.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #24
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
I have the Kindle 4 with the latest firmware and it's never skipped more than 1 page turn for me, like ever. Perhaps you're quickly pressing the button twice?
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #25
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:

I think your answer needs a lot more facts and a lot less paranoia. As others have pointed out, there is NO current Kindle with a GPS chip.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:47 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
I think your answer needs a lot more facts and a lot less paranoia. As others have pointed out, there is NO current Kindle with a GPS chip.
Exactly. Not even the Kindle Fire has GPS, and that's an Android tablet, which generally do have it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #27
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
I have the Kindle 4 with the latest firmware and it's never skipped more than 1 page turn for me, like ever. Perhaps you're quickly pressing the button twice?
i do actually get the double page turns once in a while on my k4, it's not just him
hippy dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #28
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy dave View Post
i do actually get the double page turns once in a while on my k4, it's not just him
Perhaps the "switch de-bounce" time in the firmware needs to be increased a little. That would require a firmware patch though...

If the de-bounce time is too large, a quick "double-click" would be interpreted by the firmware as a single click, so adjusting it requires a compromise to allow low-quality inexpensive switches to be pressed in quick repetition without missing or extra detected button presses.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
If the de-bounce time is too large, a quick "double-click" would be interpreted by the firmware as a single click, so adjusting it requires a compromise to allow low-quality inexpensive switches to be pressed in quick repetition without missing or extra detected button presses.
Does the Kindle use "double click" for anything?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #30
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does the Kindle use "double click" for anything?
Not as a gesture by itself, but it could be used to move forward two pages. Trying to quickly move many pages with a long de-bounce time could be annoying.

I have to do that every time I switch between reading my ebook on my Kindle 3 or my wife's Nook Simple Touch (depending on which one we have with us when I want to resume reading my current ebook).

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-08-2012 at 12:24 PM.