Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #16
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
Really do hope Kobo does well. I find myself a fan of Amazon by default. In that I mean I am a fan of reading and for me Amazon is about the only show in town. Competition would be great.

They have a tough act to follow though. Amazon service for me has been impeccable.
I don't think too tough to follow. People like me can buy from kobo. Which I do frequently I can't buy from Amazon.

I think the only thing that would keep Amazon on top is if the went multi-format
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #17
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
And I cannot buy from Kobo without removing DRM and converting to read on my Kindle.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #18
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
At least kobo supports readers that use epub. Not just kobo readers.

My thoughts since I got my Sony reader was that Amazon was stupid for not supporting more than the kindle. They would have had me as a customer from the start. Especially since the Sony store sucks. Which is why I buy most of my books from kobo.
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #19
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I don't think Amazon is all that worried about the format. It has done quite well not using EPub
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #20
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
What! Competition for Amazon! It's evil monopoly will not after all come to pass? Thanks to the Big 6 for breaking the law to protect us, but I think we will be okay anyway. Perhaps we can set up a collection for the hold-out publishers to help pay their damages at the end of the case. After all, we would not want them to go the way of the dinosaur, would we?

Good one Kobo.

Last edited by darryl; 04-18-2012 at 10:24 PM.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #21
flipreads
Connoisseur
flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Looking forward to what Kobo has in store.

And glad that Kobo supports ePub.

Amazon is great and all, but not everyone uses/prefers the format that they provide. Or charge $2.00 extra to eBooks sold outside a few countries. Or provide lesser royalties to authors/publishers if the purchaser is outside of Amazon's chosen countries.

So my answer is to diversify, and it's honestly hard to compete with some of Amazon's services, but hopefully Kobo (or other retailers) are up to it.
flipreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #22
Leonardo7000
Leonardo7000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Leonardo7000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Leonardo7000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Leonardo7000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Leonardo7000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Leonardo7000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Leonardo7000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Leonardo7000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Leonardo7000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Leonardo7000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Leonardo7000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
I have a Kobo Touch and it is faulty. I contacted Kobo on the 5th April and they opened a form but ANY FURTHER CONTACT is IGNORED.
Incident number 120404:001838
Come on Kobo, respond as a responsible company should!
Leonardo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #23
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
@Leonardo7000; the standard advice here is that once an incident has been opened, to post that tracking info at the https://getsatisfaction.com/kobo website.

Also; if you really feel you are being ignored, there is also KOBOExecutiveCare@kobo.com which has helped many people.

Also; it would be good if before getting so irate, you would come to the Kobo forum here and get involved (in a non inflamatory manner) with other Kobo users.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #24
Leonardo7000
Leonardo7000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Leonardo7000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Leonardo7000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Leonardo7000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Leonardo7000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Leonardo7000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Leonardo7000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Leonardo7000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Leonardo7000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Leonardo7000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Leonardo7000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@Leonardo7000; the standard advice here is that once an incident has been opened, to post that tracking info at the https://getsatisfaction.com/kobo website.

Also; if you really feel you are being ignored, there is also KOBOExecutiveCare@kobo.com which has helped many people.

Also; it would be good if before getting so irate, you would come to the Kobo forum here and get involved (in a non inflamatory manner) with other Kobo users.
Thanks for the info Peter, I have emailed KoboExecutive care and will see what (if any) the response is to this missive.
Leonardo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:55 AM   #25
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool Strategy ? DRM ?

QUOTE:"....Our strategy is to find the premier bookseller partner...." QUOTE:Kobo

Is it just me,but has the term "premier" lost a lot of its elitest connotations ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
And I cannot buy from Kobo without removing DRM and converting to read on my Kindle.
Now that complaint rings a vague bell in the cleaning cupboard under the stairs, but the Kobo 's a new one ..............
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #26
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
QUOTE:"....Our strategy is to find the premier bookseller partner...." QUOTE:Kobo

Is it just me,but has the term "premier" lost a lot of its elitest connotations ?
Uhh, yeah...

Last I heard "premier bookseller" = chain not under bankruptcy protection.

Seriously, my first thought was: some markets, they just might have to relax their criteria just a weee bit.

Last edited by fjtorres; 04-20-2012 at 10:23 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #27
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I hope that the competition keeps up.
I still use my K3-3G especially in the sun. I love my Samsung too.
But I am still waiting for Amazon to bring a new eInk tablet that has a light like the new Nook, more memory, etc. I suppose they will never again give you FREE 3G.

Anyway, I am waiting for something significantly better from Amazon/Kindle and the Nook and Kobo seem to be pushing hard and Amazon will respond I am sure.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #28
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Interesting article in Publisher's Weekly With More Funding Kobo steps Up.
Quote:
In the wake of its 2011 acquisition by Japanese e-commerce giant Rakuten, e-book retailer Kobo continues to make news. In a phone interview, CEO Mike Serbinis offered a look at the company’s plans and initiatives for the rest of the year. On the heels of Kobo’s plan to set up Kobo “stores within a store” at 100 WH Smith locations, Serbinis said that Kobo will start an “easy-to-use program for authors to self-publish that will provide access to social media tools and let them connect to readers. It’s something we have to do.” Kobo has started a beta self-publishing program, Serbinis said, and “we hope to launch a broader beta program by BookExpo America,” in June.

Kobo will provide the infrastructure, not decide what is to be published. “We’re not a gatekeeper,” Serbinis said. “It will be an open platform with social integration tied into Kobo Pulse, our social reading platform.” Kobo offers a suite of e-reading devices—two e-ink e-readers and the Kobo Vox, a 7-in. tablet—and e-book reading software that is very competitive with what’s offered on the Kindle and Nook devices. Thanks to Rakuten, Serbinis said, “our bank account just got a lot bigger,” emphasizing that he’s got the capital to compete globally with his much larger competitors.

Kobo partnered with FNAC, the French retailer, in the fall of 2011, offering the Kobo devices and its e-book catalogue. “We’ve taken a 50% market share [in the France e-book market] since November and we’re expanding our [device] distribution,” Serbinis said. Kobo also has a 50% market share in Canada, and Serbinis said that Kobo is seeing triple digit growth in its home country. In the U.S., he acknowledged that the collapse of Borders, a Kobo investor, “was a setback, but we’re getting new U.S. customers constantly through our apps and OEM partners,” noting that “international is growing faster than domestic.”

Serbinis said the company has sold “millions” of its e-readers, added about 100 employees this year, and expects to add “more employees over the next year. We expect triple digit growth in Canada again.” Kobo has opened new offices in Dublin and Luxembourg and is looking for more retailer-partnerships along the lines of the WH Smith deal.

Pointing out Google’s withdrawal from its e-book retailing partnership with U.S. indie bookstores, Serbinis said, “It’s important to have bookselling partners.” Asked if Kobo wants to provide a turnkey e-book retailing program for U.S. indies, Serbinis said, “We can partner with U.S. booksellers—we’re doing it around the world.” Serbinis emphasized, “It’s something we’re interested in. We think Kobo would be a great indie bookstore solution for the U.S.”
If Kobo does try to step up and partner with US Indie stores, it should be something to watch, for sure.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #29
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I noticed they set up in Luxembourg. Smart move to reduce taxes.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:27 AM   #30
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingdragons View Post
At least kobo supports readers that use epub. Not just kobo readers.

My thoughts since I got my Sony reader was that Amazon was stupid for not supporting more than the kindle. They would have had me as a customer from the start. Especially since the Sony store sucks. Which is why I buy most of my books from kobo.
So there is no problem buying books from Kobo and putting them on a Sony? So far I haven't done that. I've been thinking of giving it a try but so far I thought you could only put their books on a Kobo device (by association from Amazon-Kindle and B&N-Nook I suppose).
So, where do you get those coupons?
Give me a good coupon and I'll give it a good try.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote