Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-04-2012, 12:42 AM   #16
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I don't see who it is going to be in the e-book arena. The EPub readers are fractured and fighting among themselves as well as fighting Amazon. Amazon essentially has one front, EPub Readers. BN has Amazon, Sony, Kobo, and the niche market. Fighting on one front is doable, fighting on two fronts is a bit silly, fighting on three or more fronts is down right insanity.
I'm not sure the average e-reader/e-book customer sees it that way. Most people buy a Kindle, a Kobo, or what-have-you, and buy books from the e-bookstore their device is tied to. Most know nothing about Calibre, DRM-stripping, etc., and aren't even that interested. Most don't know about Smashwords too, I'd wager. The typical e-book reader is not the same as the typical Mobileread visitor, I suspect.

Quote:
Even then, they are not in the best position because Amazon has its entire non book related market to bring in money and help the Kindle out. Amazon is probably not losing that much on e-books, thanks to Agency pricing. I doubt Amazon is losing that much on the devices.
B&N's losing money, so they may be able to do some partnerships (rumour is that Waterstones is interested, though those same rumours suggest they may house-brand it which would destroy the benefit of the Nook brand name). Sony's also losing money, and not as focused on e-books as the other competitors (even Amazon, with its many business units, is more focused on e-books than Sony, I believe). The reason Chapters/Indigo sold Kobo to Rakuten is that Rakuten has piles of cash on its balance sheet and wants to invest in the e-book market, so Kobo is the one that poses the biggest growth threat to Amazon, IMO. Globally I don't see Amazon losing their #1 position anytime soon, but in key markets where there's a strong retail player for Kobo to partner with we'll likely see stronger competition.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #17
jmaejr
Banned
jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350:Sony PRS-T1:Rooted Nook Tablet
Amazon can certainly be stopped...by the people that shop there.

If everyone that was frothing at the mouth every time Amazon raised prices, added double DRM or anything else to get people all worked up into a frothy frenzy would just stop buying stuff there that certainly would stop Amazon, and any other company.

Yeah yeah people say they shop elsewhere or only buy DRM free books, however, strangely enough they also tend to be the ones frothing the most.

I always voice my opinion with my wallet and I am not afraid to let the company or person know exactly why I do not buy their product. Case in point the Wife and I were at a farmers market today and were looking to buy a local wine, I proceeded to question the maker about the process and if it was organic. He said though not certified their growing practice was essentially organic. Then he told me they use RoundUp for weed control, at that point I told him I was going to buy a few bottles until he mentioned he used RoundUp.

The moral is people should not be scared to let people know why they do not buy their products if they don't agree with the business practice.
jmaejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 01:42 AM   #18
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Ladies, your view on Amazon is as myopic as Amazon itself. First of, English is the second (or third, has Spanish passed it?) most spoken language on Earth. Unless you have a domination in China you will never be the world dominator. I got a Sony because I wanted to read e-books in other languages than English as well, the Kindle simply didn't provide me with that opportunity, the Sony with support for e-pub does. On the Sony I read books in Swedish, Danish, Japanese and German. People who read in those, and other, languages will always prefer an e-book Reader other than something from the Kindle family. All other languages combined surpass 90% of the languages spoken - and read - on this planet.
Even Amazon doesn't seem to realize that, register a Kindle in the US or UK store and you will be limited to books in English (a few exceptions does exist but they are not worth discussing) despite Amazon having a presence in Germany, France and Spain. So let us loosen our girdles and look beyond the horizon of our own small little nook (pun intended) and realize that Amazon is not going to dominate the world of e-book Readers and as a consequence neither will they dominate the e-book market.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:03 AM   #19
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
no businesses give to my candidates/party . maybe i should just stop buying stuff

since i joined B&N's 'club' on a whim i've been buying my hardcopies from them lately. the no purchase minimum free express shipping is pretty handy. i still like amazon but i'll admit its a big + in B&N's favor. i just wish their site was faster and felt more like a community like amazon does.
Don't forget to use those coupons B&N emails to everyone. They can be used along with the member discount. Their recent one was 25% off.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #20
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
English is the second (or third, has Spanish passed it?) most spoken language on Earth.
That depends on how you define spoken. Natively? Yes, English is third. If you include people who have it as a secondary language, English is still first.

At least if you believe Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ative_speakers
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #21
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Molen View Post
That depends on how you define spoken. Natively? Yes, English is third. If you include people who have it as a secondary language, English is still first.

At least if you believe Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ative_speakers
You need to be very proficient in a foreign language if you are going to enjoy literature in it, and even if you include those that has it as a second language I doubt that you surpass Chinese. One example, it is the second language in Japan, but very few can make themselves understood beyond simple road instructions or friendly greetings.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #22
calibrated
Zealot
calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire w/Aldiko
I find this whole subject somewhat odd. Amazon's the market leader right now, but that doesn't mean it will always be so. B&N/Nook, Google Ebooks, Sony, and Kobo aren't going anywhere anytime soon, and there are large parts of the world where Amazon doesn't rule the roost.

There was a time when GM held 60% of the domestic auto market, now it's 22%. Back in the 90s, Apple went crawling to Microsoft to beg them to keep making software for the Mac; today Apple is worth more than Microsoft. Things change. Don't panic.
calibrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #23
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibrated View Post
There was a time when GM held 60% of the domestic auto market, now it's 22%. Back in the 90s, Apple went crawling to Microsoft to beg them to keep making software for the Mac; today Apple is worth more than Microsoft. Things change. Don't panic.
While I agree, there's a caveat. The eco-system model makes it harder to change. Once you own piles of e-books from Amazon, are you likely to switch to Kobo, or vice-versa? Some will, but many won't. With a car, or a model of computer far newer than your previous one, you're almost starting from scratch each time.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #24
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
With a car, or a model of computer far newer than your previous one, you're almost starting from scratch each time.
OTOH, my family has so much invested in Microsoft products (we're a Windows household), there's no way we would switch to an Apple product, even if we were so inclined to do so (which, on the whole, we're not. If my artist daughter ever stops being a luddite, maybe...)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I have less than $20 in content invested in my devices, so it would be painless to switch platforms.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #26
scrapking
Evangelist

Quote:
Ladies, your view on Amazon is as myopic as Amazon itself.
Ladies?! That itself comes off as a bit myopic.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #27
scrapking
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I have less than $20 in content invested in my devices, so it would be painless to switch platforms.
If you're an unusually low purchaser of content, then it's obviously easier. Myself, I've purchased over 100 books on Kobo in my first two months with them alone (their discount codes are addictive). I would only consider switching to a competing provider if I could also install the Kobo software (such as if the competing product was an Android tablet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
OTOH, my family has so much invested in Microsoft products (we're a Windows household), there's no way we would switch to an Apple product, even if we were so inclined to do so (which, on the whole, we're not. If my artist daughter ever stops being a luddite, maybe...)
It can be done, especially since Macs can emulate Windows, but I guess that speaks to the core point that the heavier your investment in a platform/ecosystem, the less likely you are to change. The longer Amazon's in a market leadership position, the more you look to them for streaming video content, for music, and for other things, the less likely you are to give them up as your e-book provider.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #28
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Books were a customer acquisition tool, an excellent online experience was an acquisition tool, Prime was a customer acquisition tool, and the Fire wass a customer acquisition tool. You guys talk about customer acquisition as if it is some kind of trick or cheat. Business is about customer acquisition and retention and Amazon does both better than anyone else. Bezos uses different words to describe this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezos
We have so many customers who treat us so well, and we have the right kind of culture that obsesses over the customer.
Quote:
We see our customers as invited guests to a party, and we are the hosts. It’s our job every day to make every important aspect of the customer experience a little bit better.
Quote:
You have to use your judgment. In cases like that, we say, ‘Let’s be simpleminded. We know this is a feature that’s good for customers. Let’s do it.
Quote:
I love people counting on me, and so, you know, today it’s so easy to be motivated, because we have millions of customers counting on us at Amazon.com. That’s fun.
There are lots more, but Amazon is doing well because they provide good value to their customers while other companies are trying to squeeze every penny out of each customer. No one will beat Amazon that thinks treating customers well is cheating.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #29
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
[snip]So let us loosen our girdles and look beyond the horizon of our own small little nook (pun intended) and realize that Amazon is not going to dominate the world of e-book Readers and as a consequence neither will they dominate the e-book market.
These would be better points if: (1) 80% of the e-book market weren't in the US; or (2) the market for people who speak 5 languages weren't so small; or (3) you weren't so condescending.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:19 AM   #30
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
Ladies?! That itself comes off as a bit myopic.
You prefer; Bitches?