Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-26-2012, 02:13 AM   #16
Miss
Connoisseur
Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 360+
I got an ereader so that I wouldn't have to read on a monitor! For me it's mainly an issue of eyestrain, I just don't find I'm able to read for long with the backlighting.
Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #17
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Man cave? Oh, right, that room that wusses wives allow them to have in the house where they can hide from the wrath of Venus.

No, I obviously do forums on the computer but I have never read a book on the computer. When I first downloaded an app for reading ebooks I tried but it's too stationary. Reading on my laptop wasn't much better.

I get an amazing amount of reading done while eating in restaurants, waiting to see professionals who training did not include keeping appointments and even while waiting to meet friends. And, of course, if guests noticed I had a computer sitting in front of the toilet, that would be embarrassing, too.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #18
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I'm wondering how much of the strain people, especially on this forum, attribute to "backlighting" in fact comes from the generally poor ergonomics of reading on a large, stationary monitor. I definitely find it tiring to my eyes to read any lengthy text on my desktop monitor, but the same can't be said for a tablet or even my old netbook. In addition to the elements I explicitly bring into my comfort zone--brightness, text/bg colors, font size, column width--I'm unconsciously adjusting the display distance whenever I use it.

If people were reading PDFs and Word documents formatted for letter-size paper (small fonts, long lines)--pretty much the standard in "ebooks" before ereaders were widespread--well, all the worse for them.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #19
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I've used ADE, kindle for PC, nook for PC, and Calibre to read on my computer.

I don't often do it because i like to be able to take a book with me out and about, or even to the kitchen...also my laptop screen is cracked, which I need to work around.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #20
sbroome
Youngsta
sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
When I'm on the computer painting I usually listen to audiobooks, it's great because I can usually get a week out of a good book, which reduces the amount of time I spend picking what I listen to/watch while I work. I've tried reading directly in browsers and it just doesnt work for me for some reason.

Last edited by sbroome; 01-26-2012 at 12:14 PM.
sbroome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #21
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I find Kindle For PC really nice to read on. I started reading on my PC years ago with LIT and PDF. I still read PDF on the PC. I bought a netbook to read on and read on it for a very long time before purchasing my first eReader then later upgrading to a Kindle.

I still read on my PC, My Phone, Kindle and now Kindle Fire. I never have eye strain issues. I suspect that fonts come largely into play with reading comfortable with LCD, that and keeping the monitor brightness down.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #22
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've briefly perused some pdf files but never read them fully and certainly not full books. I don't find the computer screen comfortable enough for long reading sessions.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #23
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
The biggest problem I have with reading on my PC is since I got my new glasses, the progressive part of the lens is positioned too low causing me to have to tilt my head back in order for the screen to be in focus. Since my job requires me to use a computer extensively this is also a problem at work. With my tablet or a laptop, that's not a problem as I can just hold it lower in my field of vision, but with a desktop monitor; not so easy!

I should really take my glasses back to COSTCO and have new lenses ground but those round tuits are always hard to come by.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #24
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
I used to read on my monitor at work (pdf format). I liked to see the entire page at once and advance a page at a time, so it had to be at 69% or so, which was kind of small. It did the job until I got an ereader, but I don't like reading on a PC at all.
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #25
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Pocketbook Era, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
The biggest problem I have with reading on my PC is since I got my new glasses, the progressive part of the lens is positioned too low causing me to have to tilt my head back in order for the screen to be in focus. Since my job requires me to use a computer extensively this is also a problem at work. With my tablet or a laptop, that's not a problem as I can just hold it lower in my field of vision, but with a desktop monitor; not so easy!
This is exactly why I have two pairs of glasses. One pair is progressives for regular use, the other is strictly for computer use only.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #26
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post

I should really take my glasses back to COSTCO and have new lenses ground but those round tuits are always hard to come by.
Welcome to the reality of progressive lenses. That's why I have a pair of reading glasses at my pc, a pair at work, and a pair in my bedroom. The only time I use my progressives for reading is when I'm out of the house. But if I'm in a place for several hours, I have a pair of reading glasses there.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #27
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Welcome to the reality of progressive lenses. That's why I have a pair of reading glasses at my pc, a pair at work, and a pair in my bedroom. The only time I use my progressives for reading is when I'm out of the house. But if I'm in a place for several hours, I have a pair of reading glasses there.

I'm not at all new to progressive lenses, I've been using them with great success for years. But I got new ones a couple of months ago, and forgot to tell the optician that I spend many hours per day at the computer.

Last time they moved the higher powered section up higher, and they worked great; this time they didn’t and the results are not so good. I’d use my old glasses except my prescription has changed significantly so even these are better than the old ones.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:12 AM   #28
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I find trying to read for any stretch on a PC or laptop just too tiring - probably the back-lit bit - and too static - you can't move to the sofa and spread, for example, or into the conservatory and listen to the rain ! Also, the fixed nature of the reading source - there's not as much freedom to move the monitor.

And an audio book will, sooner rather than later, just send me to sleep.

Strangely enough, this doesn't apply in the car, where I find a good 3-4 hour audio book beats black coffee on long trips - and on one 1,000 mile drag through France to Spain, I got through the same book twice with two in the middle, and a good blast of Mr. Handel's Messiah" .......

Last edited by carpetmojo; 01-27-2012 at 03:14 AM.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:01 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
And an audio book will, sooner rather than later, just send me to sleep.

Strangely enough, this doesn't apply in the car, where I find a good 3-4 hour audio book beats black coffee on long trips - and on one 1,000 mile drag through France to Spain, I got through the same book twice with two in the middle, and a good blast of Mr. Handel's Messiah" .......
That's strange - I'm exactly the same. I always listen to audiobooks in the car - I find it aids my concentration enormously. But try to listen to one sitting in an armchair at home and I'm out like a light!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #30
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's strange - I'm exactly the same. I always listen to audiobooks in the car - I find it aids my concentration enormously. But try to listen to one sitting in an armchair at home and I'm out like a light!
Me, three! Audiobooks in the car or while I'm painting a room, otherwise it's nap time.
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote