Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2007, 05:30 PM   #16
JeffB
JeffB began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
There's a format option in advanced settings on the Reader, try that.
There appears to be no way to get to 'Advanced Settings' when this error is displayed.

In any case, immediately after I read this tip, I figured out what to do. It's not documented anywhere I can find, so here it is:

If your Reader displays 'Invalid Format!', you need to press the button in the center of the joystick. This give you the option to 'Format Internal Memory', which appears to reset the memory to whatever configuration it needs in order to work.

Nothing appears to be any different in the folder structure or FAT format, but this solves the problem.

Last edited by JeffB; 11-12-2007 at 05:34 PM.
JeffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:34 PM   #17
JeffB
JeffB began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I would have done was to move off all the books and then see what sort of memory the 505 said it has free. If that came out OK, then I would have put all the content back on.
That ties back to the original problem that led to this issue. I moved all of the books off of the reader, emptied my Trash, and then checked the available space. It still showed zero MB free, even after several restarts and disconnects, and it wouldn't let me add any new content. It was then that I decided to reformat the memory to see if that would free the space ... which it did, but that led to the 'Invalid Format' error.

If the original problem appears again, I'll be sure to start a thread on it.
JeffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2007, 07:33 PM   #18
Starfish
Connoisseur
Starfish doesn't litterStarfish doesn't litterStarfish doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Thanks all.

I found the solution--and it was in this forum:
There appears to be no way to get to 'Advanced Settings' when this error is displayed.

In any case, immediately after I read this tip, I figured out what to do. It's not documented anywhere I can find, so here it is:

If your Reader displays 'Invalid Format!', you need to press the button in the center of the joystick. This give you the option to 'Format Internal Memory', which appears to reset the memory to whatever configuration it needs in order to work.

Nothing appears to be any different in the folder structure or FAT format, but this solves the problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by JeffB : 11-12-2007 at 05:34 PM.

BIG THANKS TO JEFFB
Starfish
Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:17 PM   #19
Starfish
Connoisseur
Starfish doesn't litterStarfish doesn't litterStarfish doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Can we make this thread sticky so others with this Invalid Format problem can fix their Readers?

Starfish
Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:40 PM   #20
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I made the thread sticky and added the "(PRS-505)" label at the end of the title.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2008, 01:34 AM   #21
Pendergast
Pendergast began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs505
Thanks to all of you guys.
I had this problem and, instead of freaking out, I read the forum and found the solution.
It worked!!!

thanks again
Pendergast
Pendergast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:53 AM   #22
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks guys, this fixed my issue as well. You'd think they would have a timeout on the warning message, instead of waiting eternally for a keypress which is not immediately obvious.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #23
Ascanio
Ascanio began at the beginning.

How to fix it!

Press the right hand enter button. The player will ask you to press mark to reformat. That's it!
Ascanio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:45 PM   #24
Beatlebacker
Beatlebacker doesn't litterBeatlebacker doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Your problem is using the Mac - eBook software doesn't support Mac OS files. Connect to Windows OS PC and check the folders within the Reader - if you have folders labelled '.Trashes', '.V100-Spotlight' and the such, they're possibly causing a conflict. Make a separate folder on your desktop, copy and paste all folders into it from the Reader, and then format the Reader. Re-install the folders one by one, checking operation between installs to ensure correct operation, but leave the transparent Mac folders where they are. This should restore your Reader to an operational state.
Beatlebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #25
Euroboy
Connoisseur
Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle2 Intl.
I got this on my prs-600 I have no button in the centre... anyone...
Euroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:08 PM   #26
maggie*
PRS addicted...
maggie* began at the beginning.

I got this same error while trying to charge my reader in my sister's PC. She has no reader, so she has no caliber or Sony software installed. At first it looked fine and charging ok, the PC recognized it as external drives and I could even check the files inside (though I didn't change any file) but when I disconected the USB it started with the "loading" arrows a very very long time... till the reader started to discharge again... Then I tried to unload some files from the reader, It was not possible so I let it charge some more and when I disconet the USB I got the famous "invalid format" error.
Then I found this "sticky".

Looks like there is no way to avoid reformating the memory, but I'm not that computer savyy and I'm a bit afraid... I will loose all the books inside once I reformat, but I will be able to load my books using caliber as usual when I get back to my PC? This kind of format doesn't affect the firmware?

Thank you so much for your help, I'm trying really hard not to panic...

By the way... what did I do wrong? Yep I'll get an AC charger next opportunity, but why didn't this work?

maggie*
maggie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #27
maggie*
PRS addicted...
maggie* began at the beginning.

Yep, I had to reformat the memory. When I plugged it to the PC Calibre didn't recognise it neither did the reader library.
So I unplugged it, format memory as explained above, and it worked like a charm. It deleted the files (books, pictures and songs) I had in it but then I was all able to load everything without a problem. Thanks for the tip!

I just bought a new cable with a USB and PSP charger sockets, this way I can use it with the Ipod charger. From what I've gathered around here you can't connect a reader to a PC unless the Sony software is installed.

Lesson learned!

m*
maggie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #28
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Just to reassure any Mac users finding this... I use Mac and Win PC and the Mac files starting with "." haven't made a scrap of difference on my PRS505... in fact I used "Drag n drop" plus Calibre for over a year after getting it and had no problems at all even after installing the PRS+ software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlebacker View Post
Your problem is using the Mac - eBook software doesn't support Mac OS files. Connect to Windows OS PC and check the folders within the Reader - if you have folders labelled '.Trashes', '.V100-Spotlight' and the such, they're possibly causing a conflict. Make a separate folder on your desktop, copy and paste all folders into it from the Reader, and then format the Reader. Re-install the folders one by one, checking operation between installs to ensure correct operation, but leave the transparent Mac folders where they are. This should restore your Reader to an operational state.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #29
Beatlebacker

Your choice

I'd be hesitant about "reassuring" any/all Mac users about not having any such problems. Being in the repair industry and Sony Readers being one of my categories, I've seen scores of just such issues which have resulted in having to erase all Mac files to restore normal operation. I'm not saying that every Mac user will encounter the same problem, I'm basing my answer on 14 months worth of returned devices from all over the UK and Europe. At the end of the day, it's your choice.
No malice toward elcreative intended.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #30
Beatlebacker

You can connect to a PC without Sony software being installed, you just can't read the EPUB files. The device will be recognised as another drive and you'll be able to access the other content.