Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-16-2007, 10:53 AM   #16
Detour
Lurker
Detour has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS 500/505 (blue) / iPhone / Kindle (gave away)
I have a long list of authors I automatically buy in HC first editions:

Terry Pratchett
Christopher Moore
Tom Robbins
Tad Williams
Bill Bryson
Robert Jordan
Harlan Coben
William Gibson
Kim Harrison
Jim Butcher
John Saul
Dean Koontz
Lee Child
Jeffery Deaver
David Farland

There are lots more I will buy as soon as I see them, but those are the ones I can think of right this second. I keep them all, too. Movers hate me.
Detour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:00 PM   #17
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
My top three are:

Lois McMaster Bujold
Wen Spencer
J. K. Rowling

these three I always pre-order.

I would have included Laurell K. Hamilton on the list until this year, but now I check reader reviews and wait for the paperback more often than not.
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2007, 04:14 PM   #18
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Of all those listed, I only even know 14 and only two are on my list, David Weber & Wen Spencer. Others that might be are Louis L'Amour, Robert Heinlein, Andre Norton, Lizanne Norman, Elizabeth Moon (or was she named already).
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:27 PM   #19
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
My 'indispensible author' list is currently vacant.

I used to have Iain Banks as a must-have, but I went off him around the time of 'Song of Stone' (although I quite like some of his more recent output).

The only author who I never had off my must-buy list was Robertson Davies - but he is no longer with us
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:06 PM   #20
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
These are my buy without looking list:

Robert Jordan
William Gibson
Elizabeth Bear
C J Cherryh
Elizabeth Moon
Steven R Donaldson

There are plenty of others that I really enjoy but I don't buy sight unseen. But I am a sucker for a good series
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #21
tonicangel
tonicangel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Authors I buy everything of:
Dean Koontz
Mary Higgins Clark
Stephenie Meyer
Meg Cabot (in her adult books, I don't buy her YA books)
L.J. Smith (she is finally writing again after a 10 year absence!)

I also enjoy quite a few Michael Crichton books - but I tend to buy based on plot on his. Some have been really good lately and others I could do without. The same for John Grisham.
tonicangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:55 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonicangel View Post
I also enjoy quite a few Michael Crichton books - but I tend to buy based on plot on his.
I used to like Mr. Crichton, but I'm afraid I can never forgive him for the "State of Fear", in which he gives highly misleading and innaccurate information about climate change. "Pseudo-science" at its worst.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:02 AM   #23
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detour View Post
[...]
Lee Child
Jeffery Deaver
[...
same here.
Then there's
F. Paul Wilson
Brad Meltzer
Harlan Coben
Vince Flynn

Used to be a great fan of James Patterson and David Baldacci, but they dissapointed me in their recend books.

And I used to read (and buy automatically) a lot of Henning Mankell, until the depressing swedish-crime-style got too melancholic for me.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:49 AM   #24
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Hmm... I don't buy anything hard cover anymore. I just wait until there is an ebook available for it. That's why I bought the Reader. My wife still buys anything Alexander McCall Smith ( No. 1 Lady Detective Agency series and others) writes in hard cover.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:52 AM   #25
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I think I could say that everything by Robin Hobb but then again, I have read only the first 2 trilogies by her and looking forward to read the last two as soon as I finish Crown of Stars.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:34 PM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Pretty much Terry Brooks and David Eddings. However I haven't read some of their newer stuff because I also as a rule don't start reading unfinished series. (serieses,seri ??).
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:41 AM   #27
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Hmm, The only author currently on my buy immidately list is Terry Pratchett.
However being a poor student I usually check the supermarket (ASDA) for hardbacks. they are usually a couple of pounds cheaper then the book store or even Amazon.

The list used to contain

Tom Clancy, (but after Executive orders, can't really stand most of his new ones.)
John Grisham
Jeffery Archer
Ann McCaffrey
Robert Jordon
David Eddings (Untill the Elder Gods Series, Aaarg!)
David Gemmel
Michael Chrichton
J.K. Rowlings
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:46 AM   #28
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Pretty much Terry Brooks and David Eddings. However I haven't read some of their newer stuff because I also as a rule don't start reading unfinished series. (serieses,seri ??).
In case of David Eddings, Would suggest you avoid the Elder gods series if you can. There is so much repetition, and and so many plot holes that it is painfull at times to read.

The quality of the work writing is medicore and the editing is pitful.. It is especially jarring as The Redemption of Athlus was such a great, tightly written book.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:51 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
The quality of the work writing is medicore and the editing is pitful.. It is especially jarring as The Redemption of Athlus was such a great, tightly written book.
I'm delighted to hear you say that. I think "RofA" is an excellent book too, but many people here hate it .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:09 AM   #30
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm delighted to hear you say that. I think "RofA" is an excellent book too, but many people here hate it .
I think that many peoples opinions of RofA can be coloured by their experience with some of his previous writings.

While I do Like his older writings like the Belgaried and The Elenium, The extension of those universes by the Mallorean and the Tamuli, made many unhappy, as they are quiet similar, and as such do seem as if you are rereading the same story.

But then again, I enjoy rereading stories, and the extension of the universes and the winding up of all the minor stories is something I enjoy.

What I usually suggest to people who are apprehensive or unhappy about RofA is to forget about the writer or his previous works and just enjoy the story on its own. while it is no High Fantasy, it is a great read.