Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #16
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne (they only go down less than 100 miles)
I had to smile at the only 100 miles part. The temperature of the rock rises roughly about 1 degree Celsius every 100m. I used to work about 2km underground, and the rock there was already 43 degrees Celsius. I used to work in a bakery when I was a teenager, and going 100 miles down would be like jumping into the oven with the baking bread. Good thing I was still a naive youth when I gobbled up the Pellucidar series.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:52 PM   #17
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I had to smile at the only 100 miles part. The temperature of the rock rises roughly about 1 degree Celsius every 100m. I used to work about 2km underground, and the rock there was already 43 degrees Celsius. I used to work in a bakery when I was a teenager, and going 100 miles down would be like jumping into the oven with the baking bread. Good thing I was still a naive youth when I gobbled up the Pellucidar series.
It was still far from the center.
The underground ocean kept it cool.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 09:51 AM   #18
Starbreaker
Starbreaker began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
The Descent by Jeff Long-

theres also a sequel called Deeper.
I loved these books. Quite dark and depressing, but great reads.

I just recently read Subterranean by James Rollins... I would stay away from that one even though the description is enticing.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:35 AM   #19
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
The Descent by Jeff Long-

"In a high Himalayan cave, among the death pits of Bosnia, in a newly excavated Java temple, Long's characters find out to their terror that humanity is not alone--that, as we have always really known, horned and vicious humanoids lurk in vast caverns beneath our feet. This audacious remaking of the old hollow-earth plot takes us, in no short order, to the new world regime that follows the genocidal harrowing of Hell by heavily armed, high-tech American forces. An ambitious tycoon sends an expedition of scientists, including a beautiful nun linguist and a hideously tattooed commando former prisoner of Hell, ever deeper into the unknown, among surviving, savage, horned tribes and the vast citadels of the civilizations that fell beneath the earth before ours arose. A conspiracy of scholars pursues the identity of the being known as Satan, coming up with unpalatable truths about the origins of human culture and the identity of the Turin Shroud."

theres also a sequel called Deeper.
I read that a while back (don't even know how long ago but had to be at least five years ago...probably closer to ten years actually) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't actually know there was a sequel. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 11-03-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:38 AM   #20
Birds
JSenGupta
Birds can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Birds can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Birds can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Birds can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Birds can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Birds can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Birds can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Birds can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Birds can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Birds can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Birds can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
There is a relatively recent children's book called Tunnels by Roderick Gordon, which has a slightly steampunk vibe, and a much older small children's book called Fattypuffs and Thinifers by Andre Maurois - I mean the book is small, not the children.
Although, I have slightly strayed from the brief as neither of the above are real sci-fi, and they describe hidden civilisations rather than hidden races.

Now, going off on a complete tangent, there is Marrow by Robert Reed which is hard sci-fi (not children's) and does not feature the earth but a hollow planet-like ship. But it is very, very good.
Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #21
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Andre Norton wrote something called "The People of the Crater" which was the cover story the first issue (1947) of Fantasy Book. I don't think I ever finished it; it certainly wasn't memorable I guess. It's Gutenberg 30960, and I found it on Feedbooks.
I'm not certain if it takes place inside the earth, or merely within a very deep crater.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #22
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Sci-Fi? Wait a minute -you mean a hollow earth ISN"T science?
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #23
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I read a book where the "Earth" (another planet) is hollow on the inside, and all the people walk around on the inside of the shell. There is a large bright light in the centre of the planet (like the sun) and the people are trying to work out where they are - trying to understand their world.

I've got no idea what the book is called, but if you try it on Name That Book thread, someone is bound to know. I think it was written in the 70s. I can still remember it quite vividly.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote