Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 12:15 PM   #16
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Oryx and Crake, and the companion novel The Year of the Flood, also by Margaret Atwood.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #17
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
TadW, here's some off the beaten track...

19th Century Utopian fiction.

Looking Backward - Edward Bellamy
The Crystal Button - Thomas Chauncy

20th century Utopian fiction

When The Sleeper Wakes - H G Wells
Beyond This Horizon - Robert Heinlein
The City and the Stars - Arthur C Clarke
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #18
boydcarts
Connoisseur
boydcarts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi, iPad2
"Stand on Zanzibar" by John Brunner. Especially since it takes place in 2010. The book was clearly a product of its times, but you'll recognize elements of our current times. Not available as an e-book as far as I can tell, but still worth a read.
boydcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:32 AM   #19
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
This perfect day by Ira Levin is indeed a great book on this topic. It seems to me that it is less known than others, and it is not deserved IMO.

Other books, targetted towards a younger audience but very enjoyable for adults are:
- The Giver by Lois Lowry
- Uglies and its sequels, by Scott Westerfeld.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:17 AM   #20
Charbuque
Charbuque began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V5
My all time favourite Science-Fiction book is 'Candy Man' by Vincent King (no relation to the Candyman movie by Clive Barker) - Sadly out of print but well worth hunting down an old copy. It kicked off my fondness for dystopian novels and I must have reread it half a dozen times.

"This is a remarkable and original novel, A kafka-esque story full of cunning fantasy, enigmatic characters and illusory significance, allied to a devastating concept of our world's future." (from fantasticfiction.co.uk)
Charbuque is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 12:49 AM   #21
taglines
Banned
taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Finitude by Hamish MacDonald is just out now. e book and paper handbound editions both.

www.hamishmacdonald.com
taglines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #22
AndyPittHughes
AndyPittHughes began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thumbs up Turban Tan

This is a new one about espionage after a corporation buys the U.S government
http://www.amazon.com/Turban-Tan-ebo...8313607&sr=1-1
AndyPittHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:28 AM   #23
Thjan
book addict
Thjan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-650
Philip K. Dick - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, The Minority Report (short story), A Scanner Darkly, Dr. Bloodmoney, or How We Got Along After the Bomb.

Basically everything of him is dystopian but these are my favorites of his work.

Also a very good read:
Neal Stephenson - Snow Crash
Richard K. Morgan - Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, Woken Furies
Thjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #24
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I just finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? And while it really was inventive for it's time, I found it not bad, but not satisfying for some reason I still can't figure out. I preferred story presented in movie version(s) (each movie version was somewhat different and worth watching) which was more divergent than different. What I liked about the story was the back story for the earth and people who were essentially left behind...so it's a story well worth reading just don't expect anything like the movie. That's it, the main plot of the written version has a different goal than the movie versions.

BTW, nice revival of an old thread. Good to bring threads like this back from the morgue.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #25
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Hopefully it will be released as an ebook soon (only paper and audiobook at the moment), but I would like to suggest Where Late The Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm. It is a compeling read which won both the Hugo and Locus awards for best novel. And of course the granddaddy of them all, Plato's Republic.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:20 PM   #26
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
If you enjoy a dark and brooding dystopian story I really recommend the BBC/PBS Masterpiece Contemporary "The Last Enemy". Unfortunately it is only available in video format...I have been hunting for a book it might have been based on but nothing has cropped up. But the series pretty much was the sort of story that at one time draws you in and at the same time almost makes you need to run away as fast as you can and not want to think about it again.

The whole series in on YouTube as well as Hulu...even though it's not a book, I suspect many who enjoy this sort of story will enjoy it a fair amount:

http://www.youtube.com/show/thelastenemy
http://www.hulu.com/masterpiece-contemporary

The basic premise plays upon the anxiety, frustration and fear in the post 9/11 world. And even though the UK has been headed in this direction for a while, it takes the process to the extreme levels much like Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 in the mood it creates. Also fun for feeding your inner conspiracy theory voice...

Anyway it's also a good example of the sort of dystopian stories I really enjoy...keeps me nice and depressed.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #27
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Kallocain by the Swedish author and poet, Karin Boye. Available from Amazon.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #28
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
Our American King by David Lozell Martin was definitely dystopic and strange, but certainly held my interest.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #29
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
I enjoyed The Devil's Advocate by Taylor Caldwell.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #30
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
You have a great list started already! Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde was an interesting book that I read recently. Society is based on what color spectrum you can see. It has parallels to 1984. It's planned to be a trilogy.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote