Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 10-04-2007, 09:56 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
fjell_strom when you turn a text page on the V3, does it go all black and then the text appears or does the text appear and then the black surrounds the text and then goes away?

The second method is how it works on the new Sony PRS505. The first method is how it works on the Sony PRS500.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:20 PM   #17
dameuna
dameuna began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
suggested experiment

I just received my V3. It also has a "Vizplex" sticker on the outside. I would also like to comfirm that this is indeed true. I stated in my order that I only wanted the Vizplex.

The only way to tell for sure whether we have Vizplex or not is to create a uniform experiment for each of us to measure either speed or contrast. E-Ink Inc. claims that Vizplex is up to twice as fast and privides 20% more contrast. Therefore the speed difference should be the easier one to measure. We need to use the simplest file format so that the effect of computer processing time is at the minimum. Probably a simple .txt file would be best. I have uploaded a copy of Gutenberg's "The Return of Tarzan" in text format. I suggest that we each do the following:

1. Load this book onto the external SD card.
2. Open the book at page 1.
3. Check your second hand on your watch and when it is at "12", start turning pages.
4. Continue turning pages until the second hand is again at "12". Hit the 'next page' button slightly before the current page is completely displayed.
The V3 will buffer this key and execute it immediately after displaying the current page. The V3 only appears to buffer one key maximum.
5. Stop pressing keys when the second hand is again at "12". One more page may possibly get displayed, if a key was buffered.
6. Report back to the group the page number that you reached.

I did this three times and I got up to page: 40, 40 and 41.

The only way to compare one screen to another, to determine if it is Vizplex, is to keep all other factors equal. This means that both should be:
1. The same make and model of Reader.
2. The same version of the firmware.
3. The same text.
4. The same format text file.
5. The same experiment for measuring the times.

Otherwise, it is just guess work and the difference is speeds could be for any number of reasons.
Attached Files
File Type: txt The Return of Tarzan.txt (505.1 KB, 313 views)

Last edited by dameuna; 10-31-2007 at 10:33 AM. Reason: addition
dameuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2007, 11:06 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you seen any of the shots of the Sony 505 or the Gen3? Both are Vizplex. Compare yours to that and you should be able to see if it is or is not Vizplex.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:58 AM   #19
try_again
try_again began at the beginning.

Device: V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dameuna View Post

I did this three times and I got up to page: 40, 40 and 41.
I tried and got 39 but wasn't watching very close attention so might have squeezed in another 1 or 2 pages. This is with V3, just updated to latest firmware and the file you suggested. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't vizplex as I feel the screen is wonderfully in terms of contrast and readability in various light conditions
try_again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:44 PM   #20
dameuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by try_again View Post
I tried and got 39 but wasn't watching very close attention so might have squeezed in another 1 or 2 pages. This is with V3, just updated to latest firmware and the file you suggested. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't vizplex as I feel the screen is wonderfully in terms of contrast and readability in various light conditions
I think we will find there will be two groups of results. Some with results averaging around 39-40 and another group with results averaging arround some other number. If that other number is less than ours, we have Vizplex. If it is more, then they do. Of course if we all have the same results, then we all have the same screen and still do not know what it is.
Advert
Old 10-31-2007, 02:27 PM   #21
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Here some more videos of the V3 that could be useful: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15683
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:15 AM   #22
Trono
Enthusiast
Trono began at the beginning.

Tried the test twice, and I got to page 37 both times. No mention of vizplex when I bought it..
Trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:30 PM   #23
dameuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trono View Post
Tried the test twice, and I got to page 37 both times. No mention of vizplex when I bought it..
That would mean that my results and those of try_again are only 5 to 8 percent faster than yours. Not much a difference in speed.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:48 PM   #24
hpkeong
Heavy eBook User
hpkeong began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V8, V3, Fujitsu Tablet PC, EEE PC
Hi V3 User:

Sharing my experience:
I was V8 user 3 years ago and now is using V3, too!
1. Jinke update firmware quite often..including feedback from user! very prompt response as long as user provide clear feedback.2
2. Vizplex - comparising previous model, Vizplex seems to improve response speed (but depending on your ebooks pagination capability - it is ebook that affect V3); moreover, it has overcome previous model's setback on "residual ghosting effect"...it is now totally clear

My experience, V3 is very suitable especially when you are multilingual..like us who can read Chinese, English and even Japanese -it means one device for all..not other device for a very limited of supported languages.

V3 also supports the most format among the ebook reader..with the latest update (23-Sep-2008) to support Mobipocket! (apart from PDF, TXT, HTML, RAR, ZIP, WOL, LIT, RTF, CHM) - so it is pretty flexible!

V3 also supports most of the languages in Europe - so it is very euporean targeted products, apart from Chinese, Jap, Korean and Arab!.

Wish everyone one enjoys using V3 and share your experience on improving your devices...

Hong
hpkeong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:54 PM   #25
hpkeong
Heavy eBook User

For other user:

Hanlin V3 and some ebook maker are PURE ebook maker!
Typical people buys Sony - just because it's a Sony! Sony makes EVERYTHING...support will be a problem in futere...remember Aibo! now obsolete...and many others!!

Stick to ORIGINAL EBOOK READER Maker, not other maker who just wanna have a piece of cake whenever possible.

This is MY experience having ebook reader since 8 years ago.
My first ebook from Taiwan (2000) and last for 5 years are still working WELL! just due to format support problem (things has changed) and e-ink is better, I switch to HANLIN 3 years ago....I would say I am a heavy user of ebook...wish my experience will help.

Hong
Malaysia
Old 09-28-2008, 01:25 AM   #26
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When you turn a text page on the V3, does it go all black and then the text appears or does the text appear and then the black surrounds the text and then goes away?

The second method is how it works on the new Sony PRS505. The first method is how it works on the Sony PRS500.
Jon, I have a BeBook (rebranded Hanlin V3). When I press the page-turn button, I get a photo-negative image of the current page for a half-second (i.e. the background goes black and the text from the current page is there in white). Then this negative image goes away and the text from the next page is there in black, with the regular white background.

Sorta similar to what you described for the PRS500, except the whole screen doesn't go black, just the background, with the current page's text in white.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:57 AM   #27
hpkeong
Heavy eBook User

Ho Moe the Cat

My V3 shares with same esponse as yours and it is a normal! I have tried on another 3 sets of Hanlin...some may respond slightly different, like the whole page "breaks down into tiny pixel" and then reform into new page! I guess it is just how the speed of the processor react due to different response times from electronic components. Nevertheless, it has no impact to the e-ink screen.