Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-18-2011, 03:43 AM   #16
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewlcat View Post
if the device is intended to be used for writing, annotating etc, then having the e-ink side as a touch screen would be a bad idea
One of us.... one of us....

I've had a tablet PC that only used pen input and one that a regular touch screen (the stylus was just plastic - you could use anything) and for writing, I would only ever go with the former set up again. Especially if your writing is to be viewed live by others (students sitting with me, screen casting etc.). The number of times a regular touch screen would "sense" other input (and make huge lines from the point of my pen to where ever it believed it felt an input stroke) was far too great. (Happens on both the Fujitsu and the N810.)

I'm sure technology and palm rejection has come a way since then, but it wasn't just my hand that would do it. It could be a nearby cat whisker, a piece of paper, or sometimes I swear just the wind. Yes, it was fun being able to move scroll bars with my fake nails, but the writing experience was noticeably less effective. And that was a $4K machine. I don't expect a $500 device to perform with greater accuracy.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #17
johnseeking
Edge User

I found the Graffiti app on the Amazon App Store (both paid and free versions.) As someone who cut his teeth on a Palm IIIe (and had to have it pried from my fingers when it hit obsolescence) this only cements my love for my new PE. Sooooo much better than the default pop-up keyboard.

Advert
Old 05-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #18
cBird
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewlcat View Post
...I would definitely be interested in your list too...seeing as I am in the same boat as you of "feeling somehat overwhelmed w/all the options, following the forum, and losing sleep"
I may not end up w/much of a list, Kewlcat. I spent a couple of hours this morning (in bed w/my PE) and between borisb's Welcome Baskets containing a wealth of info and searching (as he suggests) I found answers to most of my questions.

I also discovered on the our development forum (http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...t-on-your-eDGe) the Android Market installation info posted by the same kennyminot that I alluded to yesterday on the XDA Developers forum.
d

Old 05-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #19
overfloat
Edge User

My HP tx2z has a N-Trig touch screen that is both multi-touch capable, and allows pen input (when the pen is close to the screen, it disables touch input.)

I'm not saying that this is what I expect from the pocket edge, just that the technology does exist.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #20
Kewlcat
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
One of us.... one of us....
LOL...not quite there yet...but getting there slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
I'm sure technology and palm rejection has come a way since then, but it wasn't just my hand that would do it. It could be a nearby cat whisker, a piece of paper, or sometimes I swear just the wind. Yes, it was fun being able to move scroll bars with my fake nails, but the writing experience was noticeably less effective. And that was a $4K machine. I don't expect a $500 device to perform with greater accuracy.
Right, I obviously dont have as much experience as you, but it was just something that struck me later on... & I dare say that most people who think of the 'couldnt that side be used as a keyboard?' are like me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by overfloat View Post
My HP tx2z has a N-Trig touch screen that is both multi-touch capable, and allows pen input (when the pen is close to the screen, it disables touch input.)

I'm not saying that this is what I expect from the pocket edge, just that the technology does exist.
I see where you are coming from, but arent all those features you mentioned for LCD screens?
I guess e-ink being a completely different technology needs to evolve quite a bit to get there...& seeing as they have been in the market for quite a while now & their current screen refresh rates are still what they are, I would imagine their first priority would be to work on that ...

Also with the influx of alternate screens like Pixel qi, Mirasol, Liquavista etc who knows what the future of e-ink really is like...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBird View Post
I may not end up w/much of a list, Kewlcat. I spent a couple of hours this morning (in bed w/my PE) and between borisb's Welcome Baskets containing a wealth of info and searching (as he suggests) I found answers to most of my questions.
No worries cBird...thanks for you leads...I'll use them & see how I go...like you said it looks like have enough material to keep me occupied till June

Advert